Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Smile SR9 and learning to shoot

Well I finally found my Ruger SR9 at Ace Sporting Goods. I've fired a Glock 22 (40 cal) a couple years ago, and this is my first handgun shooting since then.

After reading all the reviews and comments over the last several months and worrying about the trigger, reliability, etc., I am quite happy with the gun. I've got about 120 rounds through it without any problems whatsoever. The trigger is a bit gritty, but I expect that to smooth out with use. It's not ridiculously heavy as some reports seemed to indicate, but seems quite comfortable.

At this point I'm really just settling into the handgun experience. I spent all my time shooting at a 10 yard range with ~14" paper targets and it surprised me how hard it was for me to get on target. A lot of rounds were going low and left. Then I thought to try dry firing as many people advise; sure enough, I was pulling down and left. Even with the relatively low power 9mm, the kick is enough to cause me to anticipate.

After the first 30-40 rounds, I was getting more shots within 6" of center, but was still not very accurate. Every time I tried dry firing between mags and my aim jumped as I anticipated the bang, and not always in the same direction. In any case, I know the inaccuracy is all coming from myself at the moment.

The SR9 controls work smoothly and as expected. Field stripping is easier than I thought; after removing the take-down pin a few times, it became pretty easy to pop it out. The safety clicks up and down without too much trouble. The magazines seem well made and eject cleanly. The spring tension is not bad at all, although I was mostly just hand loading 6 rounds per mag. Going up to 17 rounds I think the speed loader makes it easier, at least after 10 rounds or so. As I recall, the Glock speed loader didn't work as well, though it was a 10 round mag if it makes a difference.

I like the fit and finish of the SR9; it just seems well made when you handle it. One thing I like about the Ruger as opposed to S&W or Springfield striker fired pistols is that they keep their lineup simple. S&W has the cheap Sigma line, the SD9, and the M&P. Springfield has the XD, the XDm, and a thousand variations thereof. Ruger just has the SR9, SR9c and SR40 - it has the quality but fewer options. No wonder it's so much less expensive - go buy a car that lets you pick from 1000 different paint colors, pick your own leather, choose between three different transmissions, four different engines, etc., and pretty soon you're talking about a $60k+ German sedan.

One bit of irony I can confirm: in the grip of a SturmRuger9, the logo now only has an R on it! So strange...

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: SR9 and learning to shoot

Get 4000 through it, the trigger will be silky smooth

Congrats on a great gun

(Lehigh County)

I have the P95 & it's been nothing but reliable & accurate, I would've bought the SR9 if I tried it first. Don't worry about the trigger, I've tried a couple that were broken in & loved it, might pick one up down the road. It took me about 500rds in my P95 to break it in, after that it's been nothing but consistent. You can add a SR9 Ghost Rocket Trigger Connector to lighten up the pull. Sorry, I'm not good with computers & ain't good at adding links. Happy shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper2112 View Post
    Well I finally found my Ruger SR9 at Ace Sporting Goods. I've fired a Glock 22 (40 cal) a couple years ago, and this is my first handgun shooting since then.

After reading all the reviews and comments over the last several months and worrying about the trigger, reliability, etc., I am quite happy with the gun. I've got about 120 rounds through it without any problems whatsoever. The trigger is a bit gritty, but I expect that to smooth out with use. It's not ridiculously heavy as some reports seemed to indicate, but seems quite comfortable.

At this point I'm really just settling into the handgun experience. I spent all my time shooting at a 10 yard range with ~14" paper targets and it surprised me how hard it was for me to get on target. A lot of rounds were going low and left. Then I thought to try dry firing as many people advise; sure enough, I was pulling down and left. Even with the relatively low power 9mm, the kick is enough to cause me to anticipate.

After the first 30-40 rounds, I was getting more shots within 6" of center, but was still not very accurate. Every time I tried dry firing between mags and my aim jumped as I anticipated the bang, and not always in the same direction. In any case, I know the inaccuracy is all coming from myself at the moment.

The SR9 controls work smoothly and as expected. Field stripping is easier than I thought; after removing the take-down pin a few times, it became pretty easy to pop it out. The safety clicks up and down without too much trouble. The magazines seem well made and eject cleanly. The spring tension is not bad at all, although I was mostly just hand loading 6 rounds per mag. Going up to 17 rounds I think the speed loader makes it easier, at least after 10 rounds or so. As I recall, the Glock speed loader didn't work as well, though it was a 10 round mag if it makes a difference.

I like the fit and finish of the SR9; it just seems well made when you handle it. One thing I like about the Ruger as opposed to S&W or Springfield striker fired pistols is that they keep their lineup simple. S&W has the cheap Sigma line, the SD9, and the M&P. Springfield has the XD, the XDm, and a thousand variations thereof. Ruger just has the SR9, SR9c and SR40 - it has the quality but fewer options. No wonder it's so much less expensive - go buy a car that lets you pick from 1000 different paint colors, pick your own leather, choose between three different transmissions, four different engines, etc., and pretty soon you're talking about a $60k+ German sedan.

One bit of irony I can confirm: in the grip of a SturmRuger9, the logo now only has an R on it! So strange...

Much like having a bad addiction, the first step is realizing AND admitting that you have a recoil anticipation pro.....I was going to type "problem", but thought the better of it. You don't have a problem at all. Your brain is doing what it is designed to do. You are going to do something new that initially seems rather unpleasant to your hand. I liken it to blinking when someone puts an item near your eye. You can't do anything about it....AT FIRST. Strangley enough, YOU can poke toward your face all day and never blink. That's because your brain knows that you aren't going to jab your eye. Fire fire fire fire fire and your brain will realize that it would be better off watching the front sight than worrying about a small exlposion inches from your fingers and your anticipation will get less and less. Dry firing is invaluable as well. Good luck brother! Keep shooting!
    Jules

(Bedford County)

I've had great luck with my SR9 also. I put in a Ghost Inc. trigger to change the feel, although to be honest I was not totally unhappy with mine before I changed it. Like mentioned, it does smooth out over time. The long trigger pull bothered me at first, I would expect it to break before it would at times and jerk.
    This is the one I put in, there are some you tube videos that give instructions well:
    http://www.ghostinc.com/product/GHO_...FOR-RUGER.html

(Northumberland County)

i have a SR9 and love it, i actually like it so much i havent had the urge to switch to a new EDC gun yet. Its built great , handles great, i cant even tell its on my hip!

i been carying it everyday since i bought it in july 09, i almost had the urge to trade it in for a Sig but never got confident enough-Sigs are nice but a little heavy to carry all day CC, the SR9 fits the bill perfect for cc all day long.

(Clearfield County)

The low-left error is the most common for a right-handed shooter that I am guessing you are. The "Left" is easily corrected by getting a little more finger in the trigger so that your trigger squeeze is straight to the rear. Clear the pistol, make sure it is empty, and position your trigger finger so that it is coming staight to the rear. Remember that position and maintain it when you go back to the range. Don't concern yourself with speed, try to shoot deliberate, perfect shots. The speed will come after you get the technique.

The "Low" is jerking, snapping the trigger. This is just a mental game where you will yourself to be smooth and deliberate with your trigger squeeze. DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO JERK THE TRIGGER. Get some plastic dummy rounds and mix them up with live rounds when you load the magazine. Again, be deliberate with your shots and don't worry about being fast. When you can hit a dummy without you seeing the muzzle jerk down, you got it! Hope this helps.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    i have a SR9 and love it, i actually like it so much i havent had the urge to switch to a new EDC gun yet. Its built great , handles great, i cant even tell its on my hip!

i been carying it everyday since i bought it in july 09, i almost had the urge to trade it in for a Sig but never got confident enough-Sigs are nice but a little heavy to carry all day CC, the SR9 fits the bill perfect for cc all day long.
    Ruger often gets overlooked because of their low price tag. The bottom line is they make quality firearms & back them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper2112 View Post
    Even with the relatively low power 9mm, the kick is enough to cause me to anticipate.
    Relatively low power? That is a .22LR, not a 9mm. I only say this because you said you are not a seasoned shooter (in not so many words). The 9mm is very capable.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post

What holster do you use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast