Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Sheriff says PICS check for LTCF "pending" yet no problem with gun purchase

This morning I applied for the LTCF at the courthouse in Norristown. The man told me my PICS check was pending and I had to wait as long as 15 days.

Within 90 minutes I purchased a firearm at a gun shop where the check went thru immediately.

Is it the same PICS check for both? I find it confusing.

I butted heads (in a calm/respectful manner on my end) with the LTCF folks at the courthouse last week over their demand I join a race and give my social security number so I'm wondering if this is their punishment.

(My record is squeaky clean.)

(Berks County)

Default Re: Sheriff says PICS check for LTCF "pending" yet no problem with gun purchase

Sounds like your PICS check was put into what's known as "research", which can take up to 15 days to get an up or down. However, I'd think (although I'm not 100% sure) that if PICS put you in research, subsequent PICS checks at a FFL would return the same.

Something doesn't pass the smell test here.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Sheriff says PICS check for LTCF "pending" yet no problem with gun purchase

Maybe you are being punished. Not much you can do, if you want the license.

It's still good for five years. What's a few days?

Let them play their game. Smile when you go to pick it up, and say something nice. They hate that!
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Jefferson County)

Simple explanations..

1. Two different operators took the requests. One saw something funky, the other didn't..

2. Or at the time of the Sheriff's inquiry the system was being heavily used and causing a delay, so they put you in research. Meanwhile your gun purchase went thru when the system wasn't busy.

You can go to 20 different gun shops, do 20 different PICS calls, and possibly have a mix of the three possible results(proceed, deny, research) across the 20 attempts.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for your feedback guys, I appreciate it. So it *is* the same check. Hmmm.

What can I do? Well, I could write a letter of complaint to their boss.

Say something nice? Good idea. I could wish that no one ever attempts to violate their rights.

(York County)

Sounds to me like the Sheriff's office is taking their grand ole time on purpose, just to be dicks.

About you "butting heads" with the Sheriff's office, I dont know why you wouldnt put your race down, the social, on the otherhand, is your choice to put down or not. Its not in your best interests to get on the bad side of the Sheriff's office.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow View Post
    Sounds to me like the Sheriff's office is taking their grand ole time on purpose, just to be dicks.

About you "butting heads" with the Sheriff's office, I dont know why you wouldnt put your race down, the social, on the otherhand, is your choice to put down or not. Its not in your best interests to get on the bad side of the Sheriff's office.
    I'm a member of the human race and no other. This white/black/asian stuff is stupid and racist. I reject it.

The LTCF app itself says the SSN is voluntary but he gave me a hard time about that as well.

I misunderstood their references requirement and two officers even disagreed amongst themselves about it.

One officer told me the bearing of firearms is a privilege, not a right. I didn't even go down that path.

I'm not afraid of them. I don't buy the POV that I don't want to be on the wrong side of the cops - that is enabling further abuses by them. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself to them. We're in this mess because too many of us *haven't* gone toe-to-toe with them.

I was respectful and calm at all times with them.

(Lawrence County)

By law they have 45 days to process your request for a LTCF. i would personally not get the SO upset with you at this point...or they could add 30 more days to it.

knighted4

went to look at my county's app and they require that all fields be filled out.
    Last edited by knighted4; July 27th, 2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added app info

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by georgedonnelly View Post
    I'm a member of the human race and no other. This white/black/asian stuff is stupid and racist.
    Racist? That doesnt define racism in the least.

Racist: person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others.

Its not racist at all to ask what your race is, its just another way of differentiating you from another human being.

Knighted4 beat me to it, but another thing, most LTCF applications require you to fill out ALL sections of the LTCF application, except for the parts that are voluntary (i.e. the social security number). So, you can be denied just based on not filling out all the application fields properly. So, you might think that filling out the race section of the application is racist (hilarious if you ask me), but it doesnt matter what YOU think, if you wanna get a LTCF, you gotta play by the Sheriff's rules.

I actually have a friend that got denied his LTCF at first because he didnt properly fill out the LTCF form. He eventually resubmitted his LTCF application properly filled out, and was issued a LTCF.
    Last edited by WhiteShadow; July 27th, 2009 at 04:32 PM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow View Post
    its just another way of differentiating you from another human being.
    just like they ask for height, weight, and eye color. Identification purposes. Sure, the data gets turned into 'statistics' by other parties as well, but the original and real purpose for asking 'race' in this case is for identification reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast