Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Beginner shotgun

I'm looking to buy my first shotgun after finshing my rifle i'm building but I'm not exactly sure what to buy. I've shot a double barrel break action before and enjoyed that very much, but am open to anything. I'm just looking for something to tool around clay shooting with and something that's recession friendly as I've got about as much spare cash as a 5 yr old lol. I've been seeing a ton of Mossberg 500's around in the $200 range but didn't know if they were ideal for clay/skeet

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Beginner shotgun

"Ideal" is like beauty.. Its all relative to the beholder.

Really though, a pump shotgun is pump shotgun.. Whether it be a Rem 870, Mossy 500, Winny 12, etc, etc, - you can do all the same things with them as you can a singleshot or a semi-auto. Semi-auto's take less skill for clays, single shots take more skill, pumps and doubles are in between..

You may want to considered a choke or choke tube that is not very restrictive like "Skeet", "Improved Cylinder", or "Cylinder" for clays.

Nothing wrong with the Mossy 500's.. Theres a kabillion of them been made, in use, and killing targets and birds everywhere.

(Allegheny County)

I love my Rem 870s. They're workhorses.

(Blair County)

My Mossy 500A did its job pulverizing clays, as did my Baikal SxS, never did get around to trying the H&R 10 gauge though at the skeet range. Heck a Saiga-12 even works in a pinch (but expect to catch a fair amount of flak at most clubs for using it).

I would suggest you hit some local shops, fondle some guns and see what seems to keep your interest the most. Once you find that gun do research on it so you don't get hosed and purchase if it passed

Heck you're almost local enough I'd let ya shoot some
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

around turkey seasons I can get any Mossberg for $150 or less cause of so many trade-ins.

(Montgomery County)

I don't know why us gun owners get such a bad rep, so far this is the nicest group of people i've met by far!

As said the 500 is a good, basic pump. I like 870's and BPS from Browning. Pumps are not the best for clay shooting but once you get into it, you can shoot doubles. It is better to get a good pump than a cheap double.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Really though, a pump shotgun is pump shotgun.. Whether it be a Rem 870, Mossy 500, Winny 12, etc, etc, - you can do all the same things with them as you can a singleshot or a semi-auto. Semi-auto's take less skill for clays, single shots take more skill, pumps and doubles are in between..
    It has absolutely nothing to do with skill, each has their role. Try being competitive in sporting clays or trap doubles with a single shot. LOL.

Single shot, fine for standard trap and basic clay busting.

Semi, fine for skeet and sporting clays, not as ideal for standard trap since most semis side eject and people don't like themselves or their guns being hit by spent hulls.

Double barrel, fine for skeet, trap, SC and can shoot a bit faster than a semi. Also has the added bonus of being[usually] ultra-reliable and less finicky during long shooting sessions.

For Sporting clays or skeet you will absolutely need at least a pump, preferably a semi-auto or if you prefer it, a double barrel.

A Mossberg 500 is a fine shotgun, I've shot several in both 12ga and 20 ga and I'd rate them as highly as a Remington 870.

(Washington County)

Trapshooter here. Best (pump) shotgun for shooting trap is a Winchester Model 12. These shotguns were built from the best materials always. They were designed to take the abuse that a shotgun gets after shooting a days worth of clays.

After the Model 12 I'd recommend the Remington 870. Like GuyMontag said before, they're workhorses.

About the chokes, someone said to get a very open restriction (cylinder, imp. cylinder) for shooting clays. Depending on what kind of clays you're shooting determines what restriction to get. I shoot trap and use improved modified, and using full when I'm back "against the fence".

Hope this helps.

(Allegheny County)

When people say they are looking for a shotgun to shoot clays my first question is are you going to be hand throwing or shooting informally in someones back yard or field? Or will you be shooting more formally at some club? The shotgun you can get away with for use in each venue can be completely different. Any shotgun will do in the first scenario. If you're serious about shooting formally at a club, you need to start weighing your choices. Also some shotguns are ideal for trap but would not be the best choice for skeet. Please give us some more details on your planned clay shooting so we can assist you in your selection.
    "Giving up freedom for security is beginning to look naïve".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast