Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lawrence County)

Default Albinos or Piebalds Anyone?

I was just curious to know how many of you out there have ever gotten an albino or piebald deer (or anything else for that matter.) I got a piebald back in '96 and everyone said that I'd never get another or that I'd have the 7 years of bad luck. Well at least that proved to be false, but I've only met one other person to have taken another white deer and was just wondering if anyone else here has. I'd love to see pics if there are any and I'll work on finding some of my own to scan and post. (no digital for us way back then)
    That's my dad...."The AMERICAN" (I'm proud of you Dad)

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Albinos or Piebalds Anyone?

We have had a few piebalds running around over the years. I will not test the 7 years of bad luck, glad to see it didn't curse you.

(York County)

http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/34...cs-page-8.html

Here's a link to one that I got last year. I got 2 others after her, but I did hit a good buck and didn't get him, so I don't think thats bad luck, just hunting.
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Lawrence County)

I know a younger black kid shot a melanistic deer a few years ago by Philly... Kinda funny seeing a black whitetail, but it was good that kid got to experience something that most kids his age from Philly ever would... Never saw an albino or piebald out my way, but I'm sure they exist...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Fayette County)

Two seasons ago my brother-in-law and best friend both shot albino does on the same day, but about 20 miles apart. I have passed on an albino doe in archery. Just didn't feel like shooting it, but I "think" it's the same deer my friend shot in rifle season so a lot of good that did, LOL.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post

Here's a link to one that I got last year. I got 2 others after her, but I did hit a good buck and didn't get him, so I don't think thats bad luck, just hunting.
    Your pic shows more white than is actually there, but it is still a pretty hide....

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by MomTeacherFarmerHunter View Post
    I was just curious to know how many of you out there have ever gotten an albino or piebald deer (or anything else for that matter.) I got a piebald back in '96 and everyone said that I'd never get another or that I'd have the 7 years of bad luck. Well at least that proved to be false, but I've only met one other person to have taken another white deer and was just wondering if anyone else here has. I'd love to see pics if there are any and I'll work on finding some of my own to scan and post. (no digital for us way back then)
    I remember that day. U were grinin from ear to ear.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post

I think I'd have to agree about the not bad luck bad hunting thought... I haven't gotten any trophies per say since then however I've taken my fair share for meat in the freezer. My thoughts are that it is the amount of time that you put in that really matters the most and that some ppl get spoiled and think that it should always be that easy... Unfortunetly the past few years haven't provided me with much time to spend out there. My hope lies in the years to come before the lil ones hit prime hunting age that I may once again have a chance at doing what I did way back when I was just 12.
    ( I got the piebald the last day of anterless after having gotten a 90lb bear last day of bear, and finished up with a gobbler well---of course the last day of spring turkey) My hopes are that I may once again get the triple trophy. I doubt that i'll ever have a chance at a piebald again but the triple trophy sure would be great.
    That's my dad...."The AMERICAN" (I'm proud of you Dad)

(Huntingdon County)

On the property I hunt, years and years ago there was an albino/piebald running around. I remember my grandfather sat me down and told a me a long story about how it was bad luck to shoot one, and some indian legend behind it or something along those lines (I was really young).
    Well he passed on it several times, my dad passed on it several times, and it just disappeared then.
    I have never seen one in the flesh out hunting though.
    Now being an adult, and understanding genetics and zoology - I know that albinism in any form is a genetic mutation/weakness and nothing more than that, but there is still part of me that believes in the legend and I am not about to wreck my hunting luck! lol

There was a pure albino fawn born on my grandfather-in-laws farm last season in Fulton County, they watched it grow up and it was doing great until a couple poachers jack lighted it one night, boy would I love to sit down and have a chat with those jerks.