Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default G19 slide sometimes wont lock back

The thread title says it all.

Its not the mags, tried with 4 different factory mags, one fresh from the wrapper.

Its not all the time, but maybe half the time.

Just doesnt want to lock back on last shot.

Default Re: G19 slide sometimes wont lock back

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Just doesnt want to lock back on last shot.
    A few questions:

1) What kind of ammo are you using?
    2) Does it happen even when you pull the slide back with an empty mag in the mag well?
    3) Does either the slide lock or the notch on the slide look worn, damaged, etc?
    4) Are you getting any failures to feed (FTF) or failures to eject (FTE)?

One more question: How old is the gun, or, alternately, how many rounds do you have through it?

(Allegheny County)

couple possibilities off the top of my head...

1. you might be resting your weak hand thumb/top of your palm on the slide stop, sometimes preventing it from moving up to engage the cut in the slide. i rest my thumb basically on the slide stop, but purely by accidental luck the portion of my thumb that is directly over the slide stop is the part that "bridges" out away from the gun (between the joint where my thumb meets my palm and the joint in the middle of my thumb). if the slide stop were a quarter inch further back or half an inch further forward, i think i would have this problem, too. check to see if your thumb is contacting the slide stop.

2. the slide stop is not moving freely enough (dirty, spring too strong, etc.). or it is loose and moving back and forth a bit instead of just up and down (causing it to not be engaged by the empty mag or not hit the right spot on the slide).

3. the cut on the slide has gotten rounded off and so the slide stop is not making good positive contact every time (and the slide is sort of slipping past it).

4. bottom of the slide stop is worn/was machined incorrectly and is not always being sufficiently engaged by the empty mag

5. limp wristing (going purely by reports on the web==which, of course, is not a great source--glocks seem to be more prone to issues caused by limp wristing than many other guns)

6. something else entirely

my first guess would be you are contacting the slide stop in some way. i dunno, though...just some things to maybe check out.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    A few questions:

1) What kind of ammo are you using?
    2) Does it happen even when you pull the slide back with an empty mag in the mag well?
    3) Does either the slide lock or the notch on the slide look worn, damaged, etc?
    4) Are you getting any failures to feed (FTF) or failures to eject (FTE)?
    1) Various, Blazer, Wolf, WWB, Fiocci
    2) NO
    3) NO
    4) NO

One more question: How old is the gun, or, alternately, how many rounds do you have through it?
    IDK, gun is maybe a year old or so. I never shot it much until recently. Hard to estimate but prob has 2-3k rounds.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    couple possibilities off the top of my head...

1. you might be resting your weak hand thumb/top of your palm on the slide stop, sometimes preventing it from moving up to engage the cut in the slide. i rest my thumb basically on the slide stop, but purely by accidental luck the portion of my thumb that is directly over the slide stop is the part that "bridges" out away from the gun (between the joint where my thumb meets my palm and the joint in the middle of my thumb). if the slide stop were a quarter inch further back or half an inch further forward, i think i would have this problem, too. check to see if your thumb is contacting the slide stop.

2. the slide stop is not moving freely enough (dirty, spring too strong, etc.). or it is loose and moving back and forth a bit instead of just up and down (causing it to not be engaged by the empty mag or not hit the right spot on the slide).

3. the cut on the slide has gotten rounded off and so the slide stop is not making good positive contact every time (and the slide is sort of slipping past it).

4. bottom of the slide stop is worn/was machined incorrectly and is not always being sufficiently engaged by the empty mag

5. limp wristing (going purely by reports on the web==which, of course, is not a great source--glocks seem to be more prone to issues caused by limp wristing than many other guns)

6. something else entirely

my first guess would be you are contacting the slide stop in some way. i dunno, though...just some things to maybe check out.
    1 & 2 seem probable. I am used to my 1911 grip and my weak hand thumb comes right where you say. It feels weird on the GLOCK, esp with no thumb rest

3 & 4 dont seem likely from a quick inspection (checked out on range)

5 lol, isnt it always limp wristing when a GLOCK malfs on teh enterweb

6 yeah

1IDK, gun is maybe a year old or so. I never shot it much until recently. Hard to estimate but prob has 2-3k rounds.
    Alright. It sounds like either the gun needs to be cleaned/lubed, or you're limp-wristing slightly. Does it happen when other folks fire your gun, too?

(Allegheny County)

Alright. It sounds like either the gun needs to be cleaned/lubed, or you're limp-wristing slightly. Does it happen when other folks fire your gun, too?
    gun was cleaned and lubed, no one else has been shooting it.

not trying to sound manly man here or anything, but it isnt limp wristing. I know how to shoot, proper grip and stance, and have formal training.

not trying to sound manly man here or anything, but it isnt limp wristing. I know how to shoot, proper grip and stance, and have formal training.
    No problem! Just trying to figure out what could be the situation. Now I'm curious as hell. When you get this figured out, I'd be interested to find out what it is.

(Allegheny County)

Clean that thing Shawn! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN1QJDGinwE
    Last edited by pghplr; July 27th, 2009 at 02:17 AM. Reason: add vid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast