Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default new (to me) SF 1911 A1

Hi, not a regular poster, but frequent lurker
    I just bought a used Springfield 1911 A1 tonight at backwoods outfitters in columbia. First off I have to say that all the positive comments about that place are right on, I haven't ever been to a shop that was so welcoming, and informative, especially for an unconventional looking guy like me.

any way, this is my first 1911, and have been spending my evening since getting home trying to sort out the dizzying world of the 1911. for a former glock owner, navigating the different makes and models, and then variants on those models is overwhelming, it took me a little while to figure out that I had a px9608L, prior to that I thought that I had a model 1911 A1 and that is it. Now I am trying to find model specific info to the px9608L. If anyone else has any info or insights into this particular model, or knows of resources that have info on it I would really appreciate it. I checked springfield's site but they had no info on it. Also the one associate at the store mentioned it having an upgraded guide rod, but I can't remember now what it was upgraded with or why (meaning purpose or benifits). Anyone have any info on this?

(Chester County)

Default Re: new (to me) SF 1911 A1

Quote Originally Posted by Jbabikow View Post
    Hi, not a regular poster, but frequent lurker
    I just bought a used Springfield 1911 A1 tonight at backwoods outfitters in columbia. First off I have to say that all the positive comments about that place are right on, I haven't ever been to a shop that was so welcoming, and informative, especially for an unconventional looking guy like me.

any way, this is my first 1911, and have been spending my evening since getting home trying to sort out the dizzying world of the 1911. for a former glock owner, navigating the different makes and models, and then variants on those models is overwhelming, it took me a little while to figure out that I had a px9608L, prior to that I thought that I had a model 1911 A1 and that is it. Now I am trying to find model specific info to the px9608L. If anyone else has any info or insights into this particular model, or knows of resources that have info on it I would really appreciate it. I checked springfield's site but they had no info on it. Also the one associate at the store mentioned it having an upgraded guide rod, but I can't remember now what it was upgraded with or why (meaning purpose or benifits). Anyone have any info on this?
    That's springfield's "loaded" model.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=8

It just has a few different options than traditional models.

The guide rod is a "full length". Benefits? None really, I'd get rid of it. Some people think there is an advantage to it, I don't...but people argue about it endlessly.

You should have an ambidextrous thumb safety, grip safety with the bump on the back...and front cocking serrations.

The guiderod comes apart using the supplied allen wrench, then it comes apart just like any other 1911.

What else do you want to know about this in particular?

(Lancaster County)

so the guide rod is a "factory upgrade" over other springfield models? It was mentioned in passing by an asociate that wasn't actually handling my sale, Tom the owner was the main person dealing with me. What would you replace it with and why? Thanks

(Chester County)

it's preference...

here is a pro's take on why he likes it:
    http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=178205

and here's a contrasting view:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_62655365/

I would take it out because I find it un-necessary, and has no benefit to me. I'd rather have the standard GI type plug, so things are easier to take apart.

For pretty much every production mass-marketed 1911....the FLGR is kinda like the spolier of the sports car world. It might look "cool" but it's sold on passenger vehicles which cant even go fast enough for it to impact the performance of the vehicle.

It's just bells and whistles that salesmen bring up as selling points, without having a reason WHY you really even want it.

(Lancaster County)

thanks for the info. when I was in there he just said "this has an upgraded rod" but I didn't get to get into it further with him, and forgot to ask the guy who i was actually dealing with. It didn't way into my decision, like I said this is my first 1911 and .45 so it didn't mean anything to me one way or the other. I'm left handed (atleast with pistols and pens, long guns and scissors with my right)so I chose this one for the ambi safety. I'm glad I found this out before shooting it, going to clean it and realizing that I can't find a 5/32 allen wrench to strip it.