Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Question Stick Powder Jamming Powder Measure

Hodgdon H4895 powder. Loading .223 cases. I used this "Extreme" powder 'cause I read that the sticks were smaller to avoid jamming. I can't imagine using the longer stuff 'cause this stuff jams on every pull of the press. Also the measured charge varies too much for my comfort. What can I do to avoid the jam, or what is a better choice of powder that will go through the powder measure easier (Hornady LNL Press)? At the time, that was the only powder available when I got the H4895. Is there spherical powder that is a better choice? I load minimum or just over minimum charges. Only target shooting 100 yds. and less. Also, these are the first rifle rounds I have loaded. All my reloading up till now has been pistol. It is pretty crazy to see how much powder goes into these rifle cases, nearly filling it up. I kept checking the charge weight thinking I was doing something wrong. Thanks for any replies.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Stick Powder Jamming Powder Measure

I don't use stick powder to my .223 reloads but I do use it (4895) for reloads in my M1 Garand.

The thing is to set a rhythm when when dispensing the powder. Using the RCBS powder measure, when I lift the handle I make sure to "knock" it at the top of its motion. This helps keep the powder for sticking.

(Delaware County)

Thanks Steve. My problem isn't sticking like static making the grains stick, it is the "stick" shaped grains of the 4895 actually being chopped by the dispenser, causing the jam 'till I push harder on the press handle and chop through the grain and dump the powder. It will hang up after the powder dump sometimes and I have to push the rotor by hand back to the charge position. All the mechanics of the powder station are free, it is when I put the 4895 in the problem happens.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by L T C View Post
    Thanks Steve. My problem isn't sticking like static making the grains stick, it is the "stick" shaped grains of the 4895 actually being chopped by the dispenser, causing the jam 'till I push harder on the press handle and chop through the grain and dump the powder. It will hang up after the powder dump sometimes and I have to push the rotor by hand back to the charge position. All the mechanics of the powder station are free, it is when I put the 4895 in the problem happens.
    You had it right earlier --- balll powder is the way to go for that little sucker. I use Accurate Arms #2230 with great results. Others use VARGET and rave aout their results.

This is where we begin to see the great advantage of having a selection of loading books and manuals, as well as a bunch of the manufacturers' pamphlets on hand. We search through the manuals to first find spherical powders in 223 loadings. Then we compare charges and pressures and accuracy, then we look at what other cartridges in which we cold use the powder that we don't like (but unfortunately, we DO own). And we look at alternative uses for the proposed prchase, just in case it, too, does not work out.

That's why we reload, reason # 341.

Flash.

(Pike County)

Yup, stick powders are known to bridge and to be cut by certain types of powder measures. The "Extremes" are better than some others, but they are still stick powders. For me, the solution is simply not to use my measures for stick powders, for the same reason. I dip 'em or weigh them individually. Much slower to weigh, a bit slower to dip.

--RobW

+1 on 2230 for lighter bullets, the stuff meters like water, very consistant in a "drop measure".
    I use varget for the heavier bullets, it is also a stick powder(like 4895), I weigh every one, using the Lyman DPS1200.
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

(Lebanon County)

This is from 308 experience.

I use a lot of stick powder, but if I use a standard dispenser I get terrible results. I solved this by moving to an RCBS ChargeMaster unit (Electronic Disp.). The cheaper solution is moving to Accur 2250 for me (*Again for 308). This powder works excellent in my dispenser that came with my Dillon. I rarely load using it (The stock powder dispenser), due to my rifle loads being for bench rifles, but still the take away is along the same lines as previous posts, the fine ball powder should resolve your issue.

Nothing measures better for me than when I am loading for my 45 Auto and using Titegroup. I LOVE flake powders with the Dillon setup.

(Luzerne County)

I have the same problem with loading my .223 with H4895. The load weights varied so much that I had no choice but to weigh each load. I will continue to do that until I use up my H4895, then look for something else. Nice to see I'm not the only one having the same problem though. It shoots out of my gun very nicely though. I have no complaints in that department.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Delaware County)

Red face Re: Stick Powder Jamming Powder Measure

Well, I like everything about my Hornady LNL progressive, but that stick powder through the Hornady measure made me use alot of bad words. I went out and got a couple types of ball powder (H335 and Win. 748) for my 223 and 30-30, this I am happy with as it should slide right through the dispenser, easy as my pistol rounds. Now about that pound of H4895... I can't not use it so I got a reloading tray and powder funnels and will just take the time and extra steps to dip them, weigh them and dump 'em by hand. Should work out ok. I'm in no hurry. I do though, need to come up with more new reasons that I'm buying more and more "stuff" to smooth things out with the Mrs.. She thinks I have a problem. She doesn't understand whats involved here... Right? ... Anyone anyone?

(Luzerne County)

Well, I like everything about my Hornady LNL progressive, but that stick powder through the Hornady measure made me use alot of bad words. I went out and got a couple types of ball powder (H335 and Win. 748) for my 223 and 30-30, this I am happy with as it should slide right through the dispenser, easy as my pistol rounds. Now about that pound of H4895... I can't not use it so I got a reloading tray and powder funnels and will just take the time and extra steps to dip them, weigh them and dump 'em by hand. Should work out ok. I'm in no hurry. I do though, need to come up with more new reasons that I'm buying more and more "stuff" to smooth things out with the Mrs.. She thinks I have a problem. She doesn't understand whats involved here... Right? ... Anyone anyone?
    I'll second that. Mine loves to shoot and even helps me reload often... but still nags me about spending too much money on guns.... They'll never understand. Hahahaha (no offense to any ladies out here that do understand)
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.