Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC in the rain

(Franklin County)

Default OC in the rain

Simple question... do you OC when it is raining? I don't, I don't like my gun getting wet and possibly rusting.

How bout you guys?
    Last edited by Pro2A; July 26th, 2009 at 11:13 AM.

(York County)

Default Re: OC in the rain

I rarely OC, but since a driving rain can soak a concealed firearm as easily as an unconcealed firearm, I'll forward a suggestion...

The easiest thing to do is carry a pistol that isn't as susceptible to rust. This would include almost any stainless gun and, in my experience, all Glocks. This would eliminate most blued handguns.
    However, it's quite easy just to give the gun a squirt of WD-40 (water displacing) and wipe it down with a cloth after a day of carrying. Unload the gun before doing this...matter of safety.

BTW, rain isn't nearly as harmful as sweat (higher salt content in sweat).
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

My XD doesn't mind getting wet, the Kimber stays dry.....

(Allegheny County)

I've OC'd my Robar P229 or P220 many times to the point of having water running out of the weapon during a downpour and with the Robar coatings have had no rusting. I 100% recommend a pistol that is coated in something rust resistant. I have had older Sigs rust after several hours out in a rainstorm, hence my having them rust-proofed later. My ideal all-weather pistol would probably be a Glock of some flavor, since I find they are pretty much rust proof from the factory. My sweat is far worse than rain though, and these days I don't really buy a firearm that isn't coated in something rust resistant. I once ruined a nice 70's vintage Colt 1911 after 8hrs of IWB carrying.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    I rarely OC, but since a driving rain can soak a concealed firearm as easily as an unconcealed firearm, I'll forward a suggestion...

The easiest thing to do is carry a pistol that isn't as susceptible to rust. This would include almost any stainless gun and, in my experience, all Glocks. This would eliminate most blued handguns.
    However, it's quite easy just to give the gun a squirt of WD-40 (water displacing) and wipe it down with a cloth after a day of carrying. Unload the gun before doing this...matter of safety.

BTW, rain isn't nearly as harmful as sweat (higher salt content in sweat).
    I only have an XD at this time and I just bought it about 3 months ago so far I am very pleased with its corosion resistance. I took it fishing with me in the Smokies for defense against bears and I had it in the front pocket of my fising vest. I stepped into a hole while wading and the gun took a good dunk! I wiped it down with wd40 when I got back and it was fine, It also rained all week, 100% humidity, wet shirt against the gun, body sweat etc, I thought the gun would be shit after that week but a daily wipe down kept it all good. Except for 3 little dots of rust on the exposed end of the guide rod that I was able to buff off. I almost cried! and then when I put the first scratch in the slide (front IWB-belt buckle bit it) I was sick but I got to remind myself-She ain't a safe queen, she's with me every day, she's gonna get bumped, dropped wet and dirty. I bought her b/c she can handle a little dust, grit, water etc-If she aint ugly she aint loved! Just keep your gun wiped down daily you should be fine. I've been using Rem Oil with VCI (pump spray bottle) it seems to do a good job.

(Jefferson County)

My blued guns usually still have a very light film of oil on them to help out. A wipe down after I get in from the rain is all that is needed. My stainless guns just get a wipe down.

However with either, my holsters generally cover most of the gun.

Wasn't that a song performed by Gene Kelly?

"I'm OCing in the rain...just OCing in the rain..."

Last edited by mikey; March 6th, 2010 at 08:22 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I've carried in some REALLY hard downpours - usually I end up blocking traffic at accidents or closed roads during storms.

The last time I did that I was soaked to the bone and had 2 inches of water in my boots - and my firearm was wet through and through too.

But it's a Glock A quick blow out and wipe down and all was good

Last edited by mikey; March 6th, 2010 at 08:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast