Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default New here and to IDPA

Hello all,

Just found this site and registered! Great to see a PA specific site. Couple of questions... I want to start shooting IDPA and was wondering what type of pistol most guys are shooting. I am a fan of the 1911. I realize that the IDPA season is over, but it is the right time to start getting ready for next season. Any inputs would help.

I belong to Hellertown Sportsman, Easton Fish and Game and Steel City. I plan on joining Guthsville soon.

(Bucks County)

It depends what division you want to shoot in. 1911 means you shoot in CDP, which is great. If you want to shoot in Standard Service, Glocks are popular with a mix of XDs, SIGs, HKs, and others.

I'm just getting into shooting/IDPA myself and I'll probably see you at Easton some time.

(Bucks County)

You can shoot the 1911 in either CDP which is primaraly .45 with a power factor of 165 or ESP, with a power factor of 125. You can download a 45 to shoot at the 125 pw or you can shoot the 1911 in 9mm, 38super, .40, 10mm, 9x23...etc. Anything that is 9mm or larger.
    If I can't shoot it, There's no use owning it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by govm4 View Post
    I want to start shooting IDPA and was wondering what type of pistol most guys are shooting.
    If your purpose in IDPA is just to get in some good practice, then use YOUR carry gun, whatever that is.

(Dauphin County)

Same boat as you friend. I joined a club last winter just to get into IDPA practice but chickened out. Seemed like kind-of a tight-knit crew and I didn't know squat. Felt like a non-bowler leaning on the ball rack at Thursday night bowling leaque practice! :P

I'm determined this year..I'm going! I plan on wearing out my plan-jane Springfield 45. I'm gonna shoot the hang outta the outside ring of that IDPA target! Does look like fun and a good test of equipment. I was going to use my Glock but due to winter indoor rules..lead only..decided to step up to the 45. Seems like the bowling leaque fellars like to use their 45..so I'm trying to fit in alittle too. No biggy- I love my 1911 too! Maybe next season I'll win them over to the new 50cal..hehe...we can all play Dirty Harry IDPA.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New here and to IDPA

Quote Originally Posted by govm4 View Post
    Hello all,

Just found this site and registered! Great to see a PA specific site. Couple of questions... I want to start shooting IDPA and was wondering what type of pistol most guys are shooting. I am a fan of the 1911. I realize that the IDPA season is over, but it is the right time to start getting ready for next season. Any inputs would help.

I belong to Hellertown Sportsman, Easton Fish and Game and Steel City. I plan on joining Guthsville soon.
    For IDPA might want to check out this forum http://www.idpaforum.com/pages/1/index.htm - quite a few people there are from Eastern PA area and can answer your questions. Nice group.

Rita