Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Need help shopping for used revolver

Want to pick up a snub revolver but I know very little about the mechanics of a revolver. I know how to open the cylinder, put bullits in, close cylinder, aim, pull trigger. If I am looking at a revolver what should I be looking for to make sure it is solid mechanically?

Aside from checking the bore for cleanliness and/or condition what should I do / check for the cylinder and hammer/trigger?

I want to save some money by buying used but I also don't want to shaft myself by not knowing the basics of buying a used revolver. I'm not worried about pretty. I just want a shooter.

Thanks for any help you folks can give.

(York County)

Default Re: Need help shopping for used revolver

Read this thread from The High Road:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=1430

It'll help quite a bit...I've used it to check out my older revolvers (purchased new or used...but at least 10 years old).
    Buying used from a gun shop should be pretty safe...they want you back as a customer.
    Buying used from a pawn shop or a private party is more risky (remember, private party transfers still must go through an FFL). Although a transfer between private parties is done at a gun shop, the shop is only responsible for the paperwork.

Good luck!
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Read this thread from The High Road:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=1430

It'll help quite a bit...I've used it to check out my older revolvers (purchased new or used...but at least 10 years old).
    Buying used from a gun shop should be pretty safe...they want you back as a customer.
    Buying used from a pawn shop or a private party is more risky (remember, private party transfers still must go through an FFL). Although a transfer between private parties is done at a gun shop, the shop is only responsible for the paperwork.

Good luck!
    Excellent link. Rep sent.

(Philadelphia County)

Revolver checkout: how to tell if a particular specimen is any good

ETA: Just read the first link and it's the same guy. So I guess I'm saying I give his advice a +1.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post

ETA: Just read the first link and it's the same guy. So I guess I'm saying I give his advice a +1.
    Great minds think alike...
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Chester County)

Mr. March gave a nice presentation. The only thing I would change is the part about dry firing. I would ask the seller if it is OK to dry fire the revolver, unless it is rimfire. If he/she agrees, dry fire several times so you can feel the trigger. Most gun owners know that dry firing will not damage a center fire gun. SAFETY ALWAYS!: Check the cylinder for an unloaded gun and point in safe direction before dry firing.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks Roy that was great. As I was hoping you saved me some time searching the interweb for this info and provided a very sound source.