Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Rustproofing your sidearm

I just got back from 3 days on the river, took my P229 and OC'ed it the whole time. A few rust spots in the barrel, a few on the guide bar and spring, and a few in the area where the guide spring rests under the barrel.

A few questions;

First of all, "double-u tee eff, over?!". Navy freakin' SEALS use this pistol, but it RUSTS with a bit of fresh water on it for less than half a day? A bit disappointing, frankly!

Second, what should I do to prevent this? I purchased some Tetra Lube from Fulton Armory for the Garand and I applied it to all the parts I could on the SIG, then I let it sit on there for 45 minutes and buffed it off. Once it was dry I applied a light coating of Hoppes and gently brushed off, leaving a slight film. Wouldn't this be enough? It's not as if I want to submerge my sidearm in salt water for a month!

Third, should I attempt (with video assistance) or get a gunsmith to detail strip it and ensure it's got no rust on the internals?

Fourth, would coating the internals in anything help this problem in the future? Either the Robar stuff, DuraCoat, GunKote, etc, or something I'm currently unaware of.

Thanks for the info.

Also, the canoe trip was a BLAST!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Rustproofing your sidearm

I've had rust issues with my Sigs before. Normally just the slide and controls in my case. I have had Sig's coated in NP3 from Robar with good results and the rust stopped completely. They can do the barrel and small parts, etc. And that would make the weapon darn near rust-proof. I have also heard good things about a refinisher CCR over on Sig Forum and have sent him a slide from one of my P220's to get redone in a matte black rust proof coating. Haven't seen the work yet to compare to my Robar pieces though. The SEALS do indeed have rust issues from what I've read and cleaning is a constant factor. They also have some weapons with salt-resistant finishes from info I've gathered too. Sig's Nitron is pretty good but I don't think they Nitron the barrel in most cases unless you send it in and request the work done. If you want Robar, check out their Roguard and NP3, I have had thus far, the best rust resistance from these 2 finishes. Once I get my CCR refinished slide back I can see how their coatings hold up to my sweat during summer carry. I have carried a P220 in NP3 while boating and it was submerged several times with no cleaning until days later, and not one sign of any rust whatsoever anywhere in the weapon. Otherwise, try Eezox as it seems to stop rust nicely, I've used it on older Sig's before and it protected the carbon steel slides perfectly during summer carry, alot of other firearms owners report good results with that product too. I'd also take the grips off and make sure everything is rust-free there.

(Allegheny County)

Hoppes doesn't do much to prevent rust. Its good for cleaning but you need to follow it up with a better protectant. I use Weapon Shield (made here in PA) and it works great. It really stays put and doesn't evaporate. I also put wax on all the external parts that don't need lube. The wax prevents rust for a long time, like months.

Quote Originally Posted by offshorebear View Post
    I use Weapon Shield (made here in PA) and it works great. It really stays put and doesn't evaporate.
    +1 on Weapon Shield. It's great stuff, and once you use it a few times, you'll find that your firearms are much easier to clean. Nothing sticks!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by thatJeffguy View Post

First of all, "double-u tee eff, over?!". Navy freakin' SEALS use this pistol, but it RUSTS with a bit of fresh water on it for less than half a day? A bit disappointing, frankly!
    Jeff, I don't think your gun has the rust proofing as you have discovered. The only SIG model I am aware of that has some version of rustproofing is the P226 Navy that is made specificallyl for the Navy.
    See the reference to the phosphate finish in the note below.
    Smitty56

P226 Navy
    Navy SEAL Teams started using the SIG P226 in the 1980s.
    The first Naval Special Warfare-spec P226 pistols to be offered to the public were the NSW Commemoratives, issued in early 2004. The SIG P226-9-NAVY is a version of the SIG P226 that is produced to the exact specifications of the pistols supplied to Navy SEALs, including special phosphate corrosion-resistant finish on internal parts, contrast sights, and a slidP226 Navy
    Navy SEAL Teams started using the SIG P226 in the 1980s.
    The first Naval Special Warfare-spec P226 pistols to be offered to the public were the NSW Commemoratives, issued in early 2004. The SIG P226-9-NAVY is a version of the SIG P226 that is produced to the exact specifications of the pistols supplied to Navy SEALs, including special phosphate corrosion-resistant finish on internal parts, contrast sights, and a slide engraved with an anchor to designate them as Naval Special Warfare pistols. SIGARMS raised $100,000 for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation through the sale of these NSW serialized pistols. The pistol bearing serial number NSW0001 was sold during a live auction on the nationally syndicated Laura Ingraham radio show for an additional $25,000.[3]e engraved with an anchor to designate them as Naval Special Warfare pistols. SIGARMS raised $100,000 for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation through the sale of these NSW serialized pistols. The pistol bearing serial number NSW0001 was sold during a live auction on the nationally syndicated Laura Ingraham radio show for an additional $25,000.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_P226

Lost house to a tornado last year. Wife, I and my guns were in bedroom closet (only thing left standing!) It was 3 days of driving rain before I was in shape to go back in through rubble and get guns out. Guns that had oil on surface finish (Rem Oil, Breakfree, CLP, etc.) all rusted to some degree or another. Guns that I had put up for season had been RenWaxed, no rust whatsoever!

I have since found that plain old Johnson Paste Wax (yellow can) works just as well. I now wax the external surfaces of all my guns, including my EDC.
    Last edited by wjh2657; July 25th, 2009 at 09:36 PM.

I'd for sure go with a black-t finish by birdsong. Last I talked to him it was $160 for a handgun and that includes every last little part and 2 mags IIRC.

http://www.snipercentral.com/birdsong.htm

It's more than likely the finish the seals have on their guns.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Lost house to a tornado last year. Wife, I and my guns were in bedroom closet (only thing left standing!) It was 3 days of driving rain before I was in shape to go back in through rubble and get guns out. Guns that had oil on surface finish (Rem Oil, Breakfree, CLP, etc.) all rusted to some degree or another. Guns that I had put up for season had been RenWaxed, no rust whatsoever!

I have since found that plain old Johnson Paste Wax (yellow can) works just as well. I now wax the external surfaces of all my guns, including my EDC.
    Wow.. That completely sucks about your house WJH. I'm sorry to hear that.

As for rust protection, I've always had great success using Barricade.
    I spray it on after cleaning, wipe it down and just like Weapon Shield, nothing sticks to it.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

(Westmoreland County)

I carry an M&P9 FS all the time either concealed or open. When I'm up north in the mountains I open carry along the river and creeks. I had a day last month where it open carried in the rain for an entire day, wiped it down before bed and did the same thing the next day before heading home. No rust when I arrived back home. I put a thin coat of CLP on all of my guns every couple of weeks to a month or whenever they get cleaned after use. It's very humid here too as well. I never have an issue with rust. Never. The only thing I do is make sure that fingerprints are wipped clean and CLP is applied when convenient.

(Butler County)

Another option if you don't mind the Stainless look is to have it Hard Chromed at Mahovsky's Metalife. This finish will pretty much never rust and you have to try real hard to scratch it. It costs around $150 and they do great work. Plus they are located in Grand Valley PA, so you'd be keeping your money in the state. I plan on having a few firearms done in the near future and have heard nothing but great things.
    www.mahovskysmetalife.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast