Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Does anyone have a double rifle?

I was reading about them in the new american rifleman and I wanted to see if anyone here has, or ever shot one. Nothing more manly than a 10lb, double barrel, piece of steel and wood, hurling .50 cal ammo at man killers on a safari in in a remote place in africa; Right? I would love to shoot one if anyone is inviting me.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Does anyone have a double rifle?

Yes. That was/is a good article. It only scratched the surface concerning DRs.
    I have a DR - but.....it's not a SXS like all the dangerous game rifles in that article. It's not a .500 or a .470 NE. I have no real need for one (though that idea has never stopped me - I do own a .416 Rigby and a .375 H&H model 70 - I have no real need for either of them.)
    I wanted a DR that I could use for the hunting that I do - whitetails in PA. I wanted something that I could afford. I ended up with a Rizzini 90L Express rifle - an O/U - chambered in 30-06. With 180 grain bullets at 2700 fps, it puts them two inches apart at 100 yards, if I do my part. It was, as firearms go, still a pricey item, yet it was half what the SXS's cost.
    Here's a stock picture - gun without a scope.
    [IMG][/IMG]

And here it is sling on, scoped and ready to hunt.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Does anyone have a double rifle?

Wow what a nice rifle. I was in vegas on my honeymoon all week and I was looking around in some shops just curious if anyone had one. No luck. Not even in bass pros' gun library. I was wondering how hard it was to find a affordable dbl rifle. Iguess they are out there. Just got to keep my eyes open.