Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Thumbs down Florida non-resident permit in PA

I just took the CCW class and did the paperwork at the Philly show on Saturday. I was told that there has been a recent change in reciprocity and the PA state police will no longer honor Florida CCW permits for PA residents.
    There was a bulletpoint item to initial that we understood that to carry in PA as a PA resident we need a PA CCW permit.

Anyone else hear of this?
    Any input from PSP members?

Default Re: Florida non-resident permit in PA

This has been covered here

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...w-holders.html

I don't believe anything has changed.
    Rather the PSP are not honoring any non res permits where the holder does not possess a valid permit from their state of residence. If you are a Pa resident and do not possess a valid Pa LTCF(I presume because you just moved here from, say, NJ) I would assume they will not honor a FL permit. That is to say if you have a FL permit issued to a non res address of PA I would say you are out of luck. Apply for a Pa res. LTCF

If you have a Pa LTCf you have no concern
    FUCK BIDEN

(Philadelphia County)

There has been no change in the reciprocity agreement. It is completely legal to carry in PA with only a valid non-resident Florida permit. Unfortunately, the Pennsylvania State Police have unilaterally decided to harass an arrest law abiding gun owners without cause.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you, didn't see that thread, the information I had made it seem like it was a new development.

I will be able to apply for my PA CCW in a little less then a year because monroe county wants a PA tax return...

(Susquehanna County)

Hi all, The way to be legal to CCW in Pa as a non-resident is to get a non-resident Va CCW permit ..
    Read the Reciprosity Agreement between PA & Va and it says right there that a non-resident Va permit is good in Pa.. Look it up under Va CCW...

Quote Originally Posted by SlabSide45 View Post
    Hi all, The way to be legal to CCW in Pa as a non-resident is to get a non-resident Va CCW permit ..
    Read the Reciprosity Agreement between PA & Va and it says right there that a non-resident Va permit is good in Pa.. Look it up under Va CCW...
    AFAIK, a non-res FL permit is good in PA. Philly doesn't think so but it was my understanding that if you have FL you're good to go. There are plenty of others that are recognized too but you can find that all out here:
    http://handgunlaw.us/
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Delaware County)

First, until Slabside45's post the last post in this thread was from 2007.

A non resident FL is perfectly legal in Pa, that said Philly did pass an ordnance to the contrary, however state preemption prohibits Philly from doing that, but that doesn't mean getting cited won't happen. If someone was to be cited, IMHO non lawyer opinion, they would be able to fight it in court as an illegal ordnance.

Quote Originally Posted by SlabSide45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    AFAIK, a non-res FL permit is good in PA. Philly doesn't think so but it was my understanding that if you have FL you're good to go. There are plenty of others that are recognized too but you can find that all out here:
    http://handgunlaw.us/

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    This has been covered here

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...w-holders.html

I don't believe anything has changed.
    Rather the PSP are not honoring any non res permits where the holder does not possess a valid permit from their state of residence. If you are a Pa resident and do not possess a valid Pa LTCF(I presume because you just moved here from, say, NJ) I would assume they will not honor a FL permit. That is to say if you have a FL permit issued to a non res address of PA I would say you are out of luck. Apply for a Pa res. LTCF

If you have a Pa LTCF you have no concern
    I'm confused (not uncommon). The thread you cited concludes (correctly) that a non-resident license from a state with reciprocity is perfectly good in PA, LTCF or not.

Are you saying that PSP has decided on its own to enforce Philly's illegal ordinance statewide? Sounds like you're confusing the nonresident requirements for a PA LTCF (need license from you home state) with reciprocity.
    Last edited by donm; July 18th, 2011 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    I'm confused (not uncommon). The thread you cited concludes (correctly) that a non-resident license from a state with reciprocity is perfectly good in PA, LTCF or not.

Are you saying that PSP has decided on its own to enforce Philly's illegal ordinance statewide? Sounds like you're confusing the nonresident requirements for a PA LTCF (need license from you home state) with reciprocity.
    You do realize that both threads are 4 years old?
    I don't recall all the background, but the psp and some other pd's were giving some pa residents a hard time if they had a non res permit without a valid ltcf. I believe the concern had spread to those who had, for example, a non res Fl, but lived in say NJ or NY. I believe I was stating what the issues were not that it was lawful. I don't really recall.
    The AG finally made a clarification and the matter is moot, much like this thread.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post

Again, the post your referred to is from 2007 I don't recall what happened back then. Currently as I laid out previously a non resident license is good from reciprocating states, the attorney general says:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

Note: It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast