Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default must I register an inherited pistol?

I live in Pittsburgh, and have inherited a .22 pistol from my father. I doubt it was ever registered. I know a permit to carry is required, but do I need to do anything to keep it in my home? TIA-john

(Chester County)

We have no registration in this sate persay. You are ok if the gun is passed down to an imediate family member. When you go for a background check the state police do have a list of handgun buyers. I think as long as you are allowed by law to own a handgun you should be good to go. I am assuming everything took place in PA. If you are unsure you can call and ask your local gun shop.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lougotzz View Post
    We have no registration in this sate persay. You are ok if the gun is passed down to an immediate family member. When you go for a background check the state police do have a list of handgun buyers. I think as long as you are allowed by law to own a handgun you should be good to go. I am assuming everything took place in PA. If you are unsure you can call and ask your local gun shop.

I'd only advise this if you know and trust the local shop. An unscrupulous dealer will tell you that you need to do the transfer paperwork regardless, just to make a few bucks. As stated, if you're legally able to own a handgun, and the transfer was done between direct family members, and it all happened in PA, you should be okay.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

(Northumberland County)

If the gun is passed down from your father you do not have to transfer through a dealer.

And again, there is no registration in PA, only sales records are kept.

(Allegheny County)

Default That's what I thought, but....

When the pittsburgh police came to my home owing to a dispute with my landlord, they asked me if I had a gun, and when I said yes, and told them where it was, they simply walked in and took it. They said I could get it back if I registered it, which is what I will do, but I wonder if relieving me of my .22 pea-shooter was even proper. They did say that if it had been a shotgun or rifle they would not have taken it - ironic, no?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jonxyz123 View Post
    When the pittsburgh police came to my home owing to a dispute with my landlord, they asked me if I had a gun, and when I said yes, and told them where it was, they simply walked in and took it. They said I could get it back if I registered it, which is what I will do, but I wonder if relieving me of my .22 pea-shooter was even proper. They did say that if it had been a shotgun or rifle they would not have taken it - ironic, no?
    As far as I understand it, what they did was illegal. I'd request that they show you where in the law gave them the ability to do that.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

Yah, well attention to the strict legality of their actions is not always the first thing on the police's mind.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jonxyz123 View Post
    Contact a lawyer! Contact the NRA! You are a member, right? As I see it, your rights were violated, period. Please keep us posted on your progress with this. Best of luck.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

I don't know if you must register an inherited gun , I would talk with an attorney first..

I am sure that when you buy a gun from a licensed dealer that all your information is forwarded to teh Federal , State , & Local Authorities!

This would hold for all guns new or used!

(Luzerne County)

There is no "registration" requirement in PA. Also, there is no need to "tranfer ownership" of firearms between parents and child, husband and wife, grandparents and child, etc.

Pittsburgh police, much like Pjilly police have no working knowledge of gun laws.

(c) Duty of other persons.—Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff’s office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast