Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Failure to extract.

Just bought a new RRA AR 15 Tact Entry in 556/223. Has a great trigger and groups well with PMC but gives nothing but extraction problems with the Wolf and Bear steel cases. I just bought it yesterday and do not want to start making modifications to a brand new rifle and aside from that I am new to semi autos and would probably need to have someone walk me through the mod or pay to have it done. Also, I would like to be able to shoot the steel case ammunition but the dealer says some of the ARs simply do not shoot it well.

It is very disappointing to spend this much on a rifle and have problems at the outset. I've currently about 20 rounds through it and about 5 extraction problems. The last one required removal with a cleaning rod. Some real world experience on solving this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

(Chester County)

Default Re: Failure to extract.

Um, I can't think of any AR on the market guaranteed to shoot steel cased ammo....there IS a reason for that.

RRA chambers are their own "wylde" variety (a little tighter than 5.56mm) so I'm not surprised that they're a little pickier with what they feed.

They're building their AR's to shoot tighter than average...hence the SS bbls, wylde chambers, 2-stage triggers...etc.

Sorry your having troubles, but that is how that gun is built.
    Why did you pick RRA if you wanted to shoot cheap steel ammo?

If the gun runs fine on brass factory new ammo, then there really isn't anything "wrong" with it...not like you can send it back and get anything "fixed".

There are things you can do to try and make it feed wolf better, but they certainly qualify as "tinkering".
    Last edited by synergy; July 22nd, 2009 at 12:59 AM.

(Dauphin County)

I would start with cleaning the chamber very well. My del-ton chamber would get stuck on a chambered round when trying to use the charging handle to extract. This was only when the rifle was new. After a good cleaning and lots of rounds the sticky chamber went away.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Um, I can't think of any AR on the market guaranteed to shoot steel cased ammo....there IS a reason for that.

RRA chambers are their own "wylde" variety (a little tighter than 5.56mm) so I'm not surprised that they're a little pickier with what they feed.
    Unless RRA has changed the Entry Tactical in the last year, they're using a standard .223/5.56 NATO chamber....not the Wylde.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Lebanon County)

I honestly would try some different ammo as I've seen the wolf cause short stroking and other problems in new guns regardless of manufacturer. IF your set on shooting wolf or other steel cased ammo clean the chamber very good and look for the newer production lots. Wolf has been getting better over time.

I've never shot the Bear or Wolf in my RRA nor do I plan to. Just personal prefrence. Some guns will just shoot anything but others not so much.....
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Berks County)

Disassemble your bolt carrier and then remove the extractor from the bolt. Make sure the extractor groove is clean.

That, or shoot better ammo. Preferably start reloading.

Thanks to everyone for your replies to my extraction question. My thinking about my rifle has improved and although I would like to shoot the cheaper ammo I actually bought the RRAs because of the fine trigger and the reputation for accuracy. Today I'll give it a good cleaning.

Regards,

Jim

(Jefferson County)

I've heard some people say they have fewer problems with wolf after they replace the extraction spring with a slightly stronger spring. While it's a little tinker-y, it's something you will eventually want to clean anyhow. When cleaning you at the very least will have the bolt and bolt carrier out--at that point you're 2 screws away from having the extractor spring out. Just don't lose any of those itty bitty parts if you decide to try it.

Good luck with your new gun!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    I've heard some people say they have fewer problems with wolf after they replace the extraction spring with a slightly stronger spring. While it's a little tinker-y, it's something you will eventually want to clean anyhow. When cleaning you at the very least will have the bolt and bolt carrier out--at that point you're 2 screws away from having the extractor spring out. Just don't lose any of those itty bitty parts if you decide to try it.

Good luck with your new gun!
    Two screws? It's one pin on every bolt I've ever looked at.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Unless RRA has changed the Entry Tactical in the last year, they're using a standard .223/5.56 NATO chamber....not the Wylde.
    A Wylde chamber shouldn't really be a problem anyway...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast