Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default New LTCF in Philly

I'm looking to get my LTCF in Philly but realize it's going to be harder than it should be. I have the forms to get started but need a couple references. I'm new to the area so I don't really have any references for my LTCF. Can I use my fiance as a reference even though we share the same address? Or do the references need to be someone residing outside the home but still in the county?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: New LTCF in Philly

http://www.ppdonline.org/hq_gunpermit.php

Info on the requirements for Philly are at the above link, taken from that page is the following;

You must have the Reference Questionnaires (2) filled-out by References and returned with your application. References should be Philadelphia residents and not family members.
    References must include NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBERS and PA DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER at the top of form. Failure to do so will result in processing delays and application denial.

(Philadelphia County)

Go to your local range. Hang-out. Meet some new people. Make friends with them.

Get references.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the response. I have been to their site and had already downloaded the LTCF form. I guess I just need to make some friends so that I can get some references. Since I work outside the city any friends I've made since moving to PA aren't Philly residents.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Go to your local range. Hang-out. Meet some new people. Make friends with them.

Get references.
    Here in Delaware County one of my fiancées references was deemed no good because she didn't know the person for over three years. She had to submit a new one. Each county is different as to where the reference needs to live, in Philly they must be from Philly, in Delaware county one of mine was from here but the other was from Chester County and I had no problems, my fiancée has only lived here for a year and a half, her's are from the Harrisburg area where she lived for 15 or so years prior to moving here.

(Philadelphia County)

I don't understand the rational behind making references be known 3 years or more in a shall-issue state. Perhaps I'll check with the department and see what my options are given my short time in Philly.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgon View Post
    I don't understand the rational behind making references be known 3 years or more in a shall-issue state. Perhaps I'll check with the department and see what my options are given my short time in Philly.
    It seems each county in the Commonwealth has it's own little stigma attached to getting a LTCF, for instance in your case, Philadelphia says
    You must have the Reference Questionnaires (2) filled-out by References and returned with your application. References should be Philadelphia residents and not family members.
    ... references must include NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBERS and PA DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER at the top of form. Failure to do so will result in processing delays and application denial.
    they also state (on the website) that
    ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE FINGERPRINTED.
    The drivers license and fingerprinting requirements did not enter into the Delaware County LTCF. My references were called on the phone, they didn't have to fill out a questionnaire. So the requirements vary greatly from county to county. I've read on this forum that in some counties you can walk in fill out the app., pay and walk out with your LTCF in less than an hour. Even the actual permit varies in style from county to county, you'd think they would have a standardized version, like your drivers license. So some of Pennsylvania's 67 counties make ya jump thru a few hoops to get your permit, some don't, at least we can get a permit, two states, WI & IL, do not allow concealed carry at all, except for their politicians and in eight you must prove a need to carry, and even then you might not get one. So even though PA is a "shall issue" state there are a lot of things that don't make sense, but then again, we are talking about the government.

(Delaware County)

I live in the suburbs and got my LTCF (Most people mistake it for a CCW)

Its easy

(Philadelphia County)

and LTCF is the same as a CCW in PA

Greg

(Montgomery County)

When I went for mine the officer asked "Why do you need a license to carry?" I answered that I sometimes have to go into Philly. His answer "Good reason" and signed the papers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast