Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Primer abundance ? NOT HARDLY !

Just got back from one of my favorite shops, Hunters' Den, in Waynesboro, PA. There was an abundance (relatively speaking) of primers and powders there, this afternoon. Maybe 50k or more, assorted.

Stu, the owner, said, " Yeah, I just got a gang of them in yesterday, and they are half-gone already. Fifteen thousand dollars, and that's all I have left".

Primers, SR. SP. LR, & LP, all about $47.50 to $49.50 per thousand. His powder supplies were up significantly, but I did not check his prices.

He had a modest amount of Sieerra and Hornady bullets in boxes of hundreds, on the shelves, but prices reflect the current high prices more than any abatement of the situation.

I was also in Gander Mountain in Chambersburg this morning, and they had ONLY shotgun primers. Most powders (they did not have a very large selection - one can of this, one of that) were around $25.00-$27.00 per pound, except for Hornady powders which were mostly at the $19.95 level.

410 Shotgun shells were from $8 to $15/box, depending on what load you chose. Slugs for !2, 20 and 410 were at least $4.99 for a box of FIVE ROUNDS, others higher.

Makes me want to load that stuff for myself, too. Time to experiment, I can see.

Flash

Default Re: Primer abundance ? NOT HARDLY !

It is unbelievable that prices are so high and quantity is still low. Like the guy said, half of his supply moved in a day. I just hope that most of the stuff purchased is not wasted after all the hysteria is over. Thanks for the post.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Just got back from one of my favorite shops, Hunters' Den, in Waynesboro, PA. There was an abundance (relatively speaking) of primers and powders there, this afternoon. Maybe 50k or more, assorted.

Stu, the owner, said, " Yeah, I just got a gang of them in yesterday, and they are half-gone already. Fifteen thousand dollars, and that's all I have left".

Primers, SR. SP. LR, & LP, all about $47.50 to $49.50 per thousand. His powder supplies were up significantly, but I did not check his prices.

He had a modest amount of Sieerra and Hornady bullets in boxes of hundreds, on the shelves, but prices reflect the current high prices more than any abatement of the situation.

I was also in Gander Mountain in Chambersburg this morning, and they had ONLY shotgun primers. Most powders (they did not have a very large selection - one can of this, one of that) were around $25.00-$27.00 per pound, except for Hornady powders which were mostly at the $19.95 level.

410 Shotgun shells were from $8 to $15/box, depending on what load you chose. Slugs for !2, 20 and 410 were at least $4.99 for a box of FIVE ROUNDS, others higher.

Makes me want to load that stuff for myself, too. Time to experiment, I can see.

Flash
    I thought the $36.99 I recently paid for 1k SP was high.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Westmoreland County)

Everytime I'm at Sportsmans Supply, Butler he has plenty of primers. The price has been coming down dependent on what brand he has. You can't be picky you have to buy what he has. Powder on the other hand, prices have been going up at least 30%. Closer gun shops are not getting their share of primers for whatever reason. And they will only sell 200 or 300 at a time. Once fired brass prices are out of sight and bullet prices continue to go up. It's getting more expensive to compete in shooting sports and practice is almost non-existent.