Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default ARGGGGH...Cannot get the pins out of the AR front sights

It's so freakin' frustrating. I got this brand new M4 barrel from DPMS and trying to get the front sight off so I can put my free floating handguards on. For the life of me, I can't punch the roll pins out. The end is now flared out and they didn't seem to move at all. Has anyone else ran into the same problem? I don't have one of those fancy Brownells front sight blocks. I just got a 7" Kitty Kat barrel and those pins came out REALLY easily. Anyone in the Philly area who may want to give to give it a shot?

Al

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: ARGGGGH...Cannot get the pins out of the AR front sights

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    It's so freakin' frustrating. I got this brand new M4 barrel from DPMS and trying to get the front sight off so I can put my free floating handguards on. For the life of me, I can't punch the roll pins out. The end is now flared out and they didn't seem to move at all. Has anyone else ran into the same problem? I don't have one of those fancy Brownells front sight blocks. I just got a 7" Kitty Kat barrel and those pins came out REALLY easily. Anyone in the Philly area who may want to give to give it a shot?

Al
    I don't want to insult you by stating the obvious - but are you sure you're trying to punch them out in the correct direction? They are tapered and can only come out one way.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    I don't want to insult you by stating the obvious - but are you sure you're trying to punch them out in the correct direction? They are tapered and can only come out one way.
    LOL...not at all. I thought about that and double checked with the Brownells video here: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Gun...p=0&t=1&i=1185 , punching from left to right (left hand on the muzzle side if the barrel is in front of me).

Al

(Lawrence County)

Add a little propane heat.

Lycanheathelpsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Add a little propane heat.

Lycanheathelpsthrope
    Hmmmm...if only Hank Hill was here...*sigh* I can use the gas stove if I'm careful right?

Al

(Lawrence County)

Hmmmm...if only Hank Hill was here...*sigh* I can use the gas stove if I'm careful right?

Al
    You can get a little propane torch cheap at Wal Mart or the local hardware store.

I suppose you could use the stove if you don't melt your handguards.......

Lycanwhat'sthatsmell?thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Montgomery County)

LOL...not at all. I thought about that and double checked with the Brownells video here: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Gun...p=0&t=1&i=1185 , punching from left to right (left hand on the muzzle side if the barrel is in front of me).

Al
    I have some bad news for you.

On my one upper, with the muzzle pointed towards me, i would punch them out right to left. On another upper, it would be left to right.

One upper is a stag and the other a BCM. So, it would seem to me that not everyone follows the same pin direction.

Do you have any calipers you can check it with?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    You can get a little propane torch cheap at Wal Mart or the local hardware store.

I suppose you could use the stove if you don't melt your handguards.......

Lycanwhat'sthatsmell?thrope
    It's a stripped barrel with the sight, no HG. I tried the heat, barrel was pretty hot, but no movement whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    I have some bad news for you.

On my one upper, with the muzzle pointed towards me, i would punch them out right to left. On another upper, it would be left to right.

One upper is a stag and the other a BCM. So, it would seem to me that not everyone follows the same pin direction.

Do you have any calipers you can check it with?
    I have 2 DPMS Kitty Kat pistol barrels that I just removed the pins out of 10 minutes ago. They are in the same direction as the video and the same direction that I tried for the M4 barrel. I'm going to call a couple local shop to see if they have an AR smith who may be able to get it out. If not, I'm calling DPMS (this came directly from them).

Thanks you both for your time. I'll update the thread if something new comes along.

Al

(Westmoreland County)

A nail punch works very good for the initial whacks since the tip is concaved. It will not slip off of the pin. The first time I attempted to remove FSB pins I used a regular punch and I mushroomed the pins really bad. I had to dremel the smashed metal off and buy new pins. Then I used the nail and they cam right out. The second time I removed a FSB I used the nail each pin took two whacks and it broke free very easily and I used a regular punch to remove it the rest of the way.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryegye View Post
    A nail punch works very good for the initial whacks since the tip is concaved. It will not slip off of the pin. The first time I attempted to remove FSB pins I used a regular punch and I mushroomed the pins really bad. I had to dremel the smashed metal off and buy new pins. Then I used the nail and they cam right out. The second time I removed a FSB I used the nail each pin took two whacks and it broke free very easily and I used a regular punch to remove it the rest of the way.
    Thank you for the pointer! I will have to try that after the alcohol wears off tomorrow

Al

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast