Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: First Time

(Philadelphia County)

Default First Time

Went to dinner with the family today in NE Philly. Walked to the restaurant and walked back, then walked some more. No problems. I think I got a few looks, but other than that...nothing. I'm thinking that 75% of the people didn't even notice.

(York County)

Default Re: First Time

This has been my experience. I swear most don't notice at all, and of the few who do, most of them don't say anything.

I OC OWB at 3:00 position, a XD45 Tactical in a leather Don Hume holster. Apparently it''s both easy to see and easy to miss, depending on deeply your head is buried!

Once I was asked if I would take it to my car. I told him I would cover, he said OK.

Another time at York Galleria Mall, upon leaving and walking to my car, a Security guard politely asked if I would not bring it in with me if I returned, saying it was mall policy.

I just told him I won't be returning if I have to be disarmed. I guess I need to get around to writing a letter to mall management.

Otherwise, either no reaction, or positive conversations.

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Another time at York Galleria Mall, upon leaving and walking to my car, a Security guard politely asked if I would not bring it in with me if I returned, saying it was mall policy.
    From the Galleria mall's website:

Code of Conduct

welcome
    In order to help ensure a pleasant shopping environment,
    we ask all visitors to refrain from the following:

20. Carrying or displaying weapons of any kind except those carried by certified law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    From the Galleria mall's website:

Code of Conduct

welcome
    In order to help ensure a pleasant shopping environment,
    we ask all visitors to refrain from the following:

20. Carrying or displaying weapons of any kind except those carried by certified law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties.

Yes, I know.

I OC'd regularly, looking for some large obvious, clearly posted signs at entrances. Seeing none, went about my business.

I draw the line at having to "dig" for the rules.

They prohibit smoking within the mall, as well as skateboarding. Both are clearly posted at all entrances.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Congrats to the OP!

I had been OCing more until that incident with the idiot thuglet got my wife in a tizzy, since then I've only OCd when she wasn't around, & even then I've been CCing more often then not...now... tonight for example, I went out to dinner with friends who were OC & I even had the .45 on my belt OC as I was getting ready then I thought, ya know I really just want a nice dinner without upsetting the wife & having to hear about it the whole way there, so I covered it with the shirt, then I had a big gun shaped tumor on my side so I went to IWB full CC. Our dinner companions were all OC & noone batted an eye. maybe that helped my wife's outlook a little. didn't discuss it with her, just hope so.

As for the Galleria, I CC there whenever I'm not working. If I am working I have to disarm due to company policy, or I'd be CC then too. If I'm there on my own time, I'm armed, so I don't enter my store because I don't want to be accused of having a weapon on company property. (since I'm salaried one could say that anytime I'm there I could be considered "at work" or "working")
    Therefore my CC in the mall has an added bonus of keeping me from getting called into work while walking past. My boss tried once & I just said I can't, he looked confused until I tapped my hip.
    Last edited by 87th PVI; July 19th, 2009 at 11:24 PM.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    Went to dinner with the family today in NE Philly. Walked to the restaurant and walked back, then walked some more. No problems. I think I got a few looks, but other than that...nothing. I'm thinking that 75% of the people didn't even notice.
    That's great, but the important question is: Where did you go for dinner? NE Philly has such a bizarre assortment of places to eat!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    That's great, but the important question is: Where did you go for dinner? NE Philly has such a bizarre assortment of places to eat!
    La Casa di Lucia on Bustleton. Boring Italian.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Yes, I know.

I OC'd regularly, looking for some large obvious, clearly posted signs at entrances. Seeing none, went about my business.

I draw the line at having to "dig" for the rules.

They prohibit smoking within the mall, as well as skateboarding. Both are clearly posted at all entrances.

I did some contracting work at a Loew's cinima, and out of the bank of 10-12 doors the no weapons sign was posted on the farthest right door and on the bottom right hand corner of the door. I think they purposely put it there just to cause problems. I will have to get some pictures of that joke.