Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense ?

(Lancaster County)

Default Home Defense ?

Who makes the best M4's for home defense these days ? looking to spend around $1500. Good Shooting !

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Home Defense ?

Might be just me, but I wouldn't want to be shooting a 5.56 in my home for defense.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kickin View Post
    Who makes the best M4's for home defense these days ? looking to spend around $1500. Good Shooting !
    If you just wan to get an M4, you can grab a Colt some places, for about $1200.

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    Might be just me, but I wouldn't want to be shooting a 5.56 in my home for defense.
    ^ This. Think 12 guage, maybe 18" barrel. Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. For shells, stay away from large buckshot to avoid excessive penetration in confined spaces. Outfit it with a light.

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Any of them will do the job, so will a Ruger Mini 14 or Mini 30 (for less money), so just go to your local gun shop and find the one you like the best...it's your money, bro...

H.E. Pennypacker
    Neither would I, but if it's a choice between holes in the walls and holes in me....well, the walls lose...just as the bad guys do.
    The rifle, BTW, is my 2nd line of defense. The handgun is always close at hand night or day. The rifle is pretty close too, btw.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Allegheny County)

I'm partial to LMT and Colt mostly. I have my LMT loaded with Hornady TAP ammo, figure 60rnds on hand is a good thing. I also have a Surefire 500A forend on it to avoid trying to fumble with the rifle and a separate light. I try to stick with a mil-spec rifle for ease of parts and such. My M4 is pretty much the "aw shit" rifle for our home defense plans. My wife and I generally find our sidearms are the first line, followed by our Mossbergs, then the M4 and so on. I agree about firing the 5.56 inside our home, not ideal, but better than the alternative in most cases.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    I'll take a rifle in 5.56 over a handgun any day. Better stopping power and less chance of overpenetration through walls. I'd even take it over a shotgun myself. Maybe it is just you
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    I'll take a rifle in 5.56 over a handgun any day. Better stopping power and less chance of overpenetration through walls. I'd even take it over a shotgun myself. Maybe it is just you
    This should be the standard response to these questions.

Now that you can get a colt for ~$1200ish, I'd recommend that...or some other quality option like an LMT, CD, or DD if that's what your local store has.

I bought a S&W M&P 15 for $895 with a Flat-Top Rail and Flip up rear Sight, and that AR I am very impressed with right out of the box, shot a great group at 100yds with a Factory Zero.

So I Highly reccomend the M&P AR's for value and Performance right out of the box.
    Sector 4

(Columbia County)

I'd have to agree with agentw0. The Smith and Wesson M&P-15 is an extremely reliable AR-15. Any AR will have the same stopping power, it really just depends on the ammo. And at home defense ranges, accuracy is a non-issue among ARs.

So, the difference comes down to reliability. I researched long and hard before finally buying my S&W. I am extremely glad that I did.

It is far more reliable than any Colt I've ever had in the service and that includes the m4 I was issued for my last deployment. It was issued to me literally brand new (not refurbished or anything) right out of the box. I'm not saying that Colt doesn't make a fine AR, because they certainly do. But, I'd give the edge to the S&W.

I have had exactly ZERO reliability problems with mine. And I've put a few thousand rounds through it so far.

(Northumberland County)

i almost bought a S&W AR but i ended up buyinng a Bushmaster XM15 E2S with 11.5" with 5.5" Flash suppressor HBAR barrel cuz it looked cooler to me but i think RRA shoots better my friend has a RRA its very good and cheaper then the S&W and the Bushmaster , i plan on buying a RRA in the future .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast