Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Plastic cased ammo

http://www.natec-us.com/products.php

NATEC's patented (and patents pending), lightweight, polymer-cased ammunition (PCA) is produced in Plattsburgh, New York. The cartridges utilize standard projectiles, primers, and propellants that are currently supplied by existing manufacturers. The base cap is cold formed from standard cartridge brass, and the casing is injection molded from the exclusively supplied polymer.

The unique, patent pending manufacturing process is centered on the one-step insert injection molding of the projectile into the polymer casing on state-of-the-art equipment. The interface is consistent (no crimping) and is self-sealing ensuring waterproofness of the cartridge. The primed base cap is then snapped on forming an interference fit after propellant loading.
    Anyone use this stuff? I was looking around and its quite cheap considering they use Sierra bullets. Obviously not reloadable lol but interesting to say the least.

ETA:

Military Morons has a write up on it.

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/access.html
    Last edited by KeithPA; June 3rd, 2007 at 12:29 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Plastic cased ammo

They claim that the plastic case lightens your load and they weren't kidding. When the case separates in your rifle causing a non-clearable malfunction, it just saved you 8 lbs.

It's total shit.

(Allegheny County)

they had a good idea, but couldnt manage to get it right. the company just went under a month or two ago....ive heard of a few kabooms with it from arfcom.

i picked up a box at a gun show and ran it through my 180b. I didnt have any problems, reasonable accuracy. i wouldnt feel safe running much more than a box or two though.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Beaver County)

Yeah, a buddy of mine had a bunch and it jammed alot, mostly not cycling the action.

(Philadelphia County)

it's loaded very light. Of the ones i fired, nearly all of them split the neck of the cartridge. A good number of them had the neck separate partially. At least one the neck separated completely and stuck in the chamber (needed to be cleared with a cleaning rod)

(Blair County)

I shot two cases and a couple of boxes (over 1000 rounds) through a couple of different guns.

Over the 1000 rounds, I had less than 5 that had case neck separations or where the brass cap that held the primer separated and ejected, leaving all or part of the plastic case in the chamber. Most of the time, this required a broken case tool to remove.

The only other problem I had was that on maybe a dozen rounds (of the over 1000), the action of the rifle pushed the bullet back into the case, usually resulting in failure to feed.

Because of these two issues, I would not carry it as "life support" ammunition.

Having said that, I would absolutely buy more for training ammo. Accuracy was decent, and with the above exceptions, it ran the gun well.

The advantages are it's cheap, and if they got the problems fixed, it would substantially lighten a soldiers load.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Philadelphia County)

how cheap is the stuff? Frankly, i can buy wolf rather inexpensively and have zero problems with it.

(Erie County)

500 rounds for $120 shipped.

On military morons linked i provided earlier they mentioned 2 kinds. Milspec and commercial. They noted that the Milspec stuff had no problems at all, but I can't seem to find it, if it exists. It isn't listed on their site either.

Personally i'd expect to to see a lower price than that for the ammo. I dunno what kinda plastic they are using but manufacturing costs should be incredibly low.

(Allegheny County)

GUNRUNNERS OF PA brought some to one of our group shoots.
    He had nothing but trouble with it.

Maybe he'll see this thread and explain exactly what kind of problems he had.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    500 rounds for $120 shipped.
    you can find wolf for more than $20 less per 500. Even less when you buy it by the thousand. I've had zero malfunctions with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast