Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pepper Spray

(Lancaster County)

Default Pepper Spray

There were a couple posts about it in the Dog Attack thread. I thought it deserves it's own thread.

I've heard from many that Fox Labs is the best. One poster recommended the ASP keyring size but to use Fox Labs for everything else.

Any comments? Who has personally used these on people, dogs, bears, werewolves, anything else? Also, being a PA forum, where can these things be purchased locally? Especially SCPA?

thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Pepper Spray

Fox Labs in the Cone/Fog spray is the hottest, and the best IMHO.

I've used it on People, Dogs, Drunks. I know one of my friends has used it on a car full of people that tried to run them over (MarcS can tell the story better).

I carry a 2oz Cone/Fog in my left pocket daily. It's always good to have a less lethal option if you carry a weapon for defense.

Defense Devices has Fox Labs in stock.

Don't bother with the foam or gel sprays. They're good if you're using it exclusively indoors (lessens the chance of cross-contamination), but OC is meant to be inhaled. The cone/fog version has some good distance, and it's readily inhaled.
    Last edited by JustinM; June 2nd, 2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: wtf is jel?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gdragon View Post
    I've heard from many that Fox Labs is the best. One poster recommended the ASP keyring size but to use Fox Labs for everything else.
    That would be me. defensedevices.com has good prices on fox labs and ASP.

As for the car incident, a former roommate of mine was at a party at his friends place when a carload of underage kids saw the party decided to crash. He proceeded to kick them out and made sure they got back in their car and left. As he was walking back to the house, the kids tried to run him down, so he stepped in between some parked cars. They had the windows down shouting that they would "kick his ass" and such, when one on his side of the car started to get out he emptied the contents of a 2oz fox labs cone pattern canister through the open windows. All of the occupants of the car were incapacitated, they sped off about 100ft, stopped the car, then all got out screaming and vomiting.
    Last edited by MarcS; June 2nd, 2007 at 05:30 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I got some for my wife from Gander Mountain. Only I get her the foam not the spray. That way there is less chance of wind taking some back into her face.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    I got some for my wife from Gander Mountain. Only I get her the foam not the spray. That way there is less chance of wind taking some back into her face.
    There's also way less chance of it actually working and a higher chance that it can get thrown back by the person its used on. I do not recommend foam for civilians.

If you've ever used a cone pattern spray you would appreciate how violent the expulsion of OC is. Wind is only a minor factor that should be negated by the fact that you shouldn't be standing around after you use it. Cone and fog patterns offer the highest rate of incapacitation. The reason many police use foam is so they can spray people who are resisting other officers without hitting the other officers. This is not a factor for civilians. All civilians get with foam is decreased effectiveness and the chance of throwback

(Montgomery County)

Fox labs is good, I am also a fan of Sabre.

(Monroe County)

Personaly I prefer either Mace Triple action or Sabre

Both of the above have OC,CS and UV die to boot.

Some people can fight off the effects of OC but I haven't seen any records of someone fighting off CS.

The UV die is just an identifier bonus.

JMHO,
    Rich

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warners Surplus View Post
    Personaly I prefer either Mace Triple action or Sabre

Both of the above have OC,CS and UV die to boot.

Some people can fight off the effects of OC but I haven't seen any records of someone fighting off CS.
    Your totally backwards on that. CS is less effective tear gas or irritant and people can build up a level of tolerance to it. OC is an inflammatory that causes involuntary eye closure and swelling in mucus membranes. All CS does mixed in with OC is dilute the mixture. I recommend going with 100% OC. Most pepper sprays have UV dye.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    OC is an inflammatory that causes involuntary eye closure and swelling in mucus membranes.
    Along with eye closure it swells the capillaries in your eyes causing temporary blindness.

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: Pepper Spray

The OC and CS may work differently for different threats. While one may delute the other some sprays simply have a much higher % of the active ingredients.

Read the labels, read the reviews.

It is possible to get acclamaited to pepper spray. It is also a good way to save $$$ on alergy medication. Spray a tiny ammount into a bag, close your eyes, take a few deep breaths. You will cough, mucus will come out everywhere and you will feel like shit but it will clear your sinuses. One of my buddies told me about it . He found out about it because he wroked for a sherrifs dept and had to deal with a few jail riots.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast