Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mexican Carry

(Montgomery County)

Default Mexican Carry

Does anybody carry Mexican style here? I got my Glock 26 in a Desantis Pocket holster, but drawing the weapon from the pocket without the holster coming with it seems difficult.

Having the gun pointed at me jewels (or femoral artery) while sitting is slightly disconcerting, but I can't see why it would be patently unsafe. I should say that the gun tucked in my front waistband is still in the holster, don't know if that qualifies as true "mexican".

Thoughts, opinions?
    Last edited by PA86; July 17th, 2009 at 01:23 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Mexican Carry

My problem with Mexican carry is simply retention. What's going to keep your pistol from falling out of your waistband? Or falling down your pants leg? What if you need to run, or dive to the ground for some reason? Is your pistol going to stay where you put it?

(Allegheny County)

Mexican implies no holster. Don't do it.

(Northumberland County)

just wonderin why its called Mexican Carry for? i would never carry it like that i would carry it in my hand or put it down and carry it in my hand again before i ever do a Mexican Carry.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    My problem with Mexican carry is simply retention. What's going to keep your pistol from falling out of your waistband? Or falling down your pants leg? What if you need to run, or dive to the ground for some reason? Is your pistol going to stay where you put it?
    Never seemed to cause a problem for Martin Riggs.

I tried it around the house in jeans with my 1911 and Beretta. It just plain does not work.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    just wonderin why its called Mexican Carry for?
    Something about vaqueros carrying without holsters so they could hide their guns and not get caught with a holster on them.

(Philadelphia County)

The only thing 'Mexican' I do is food...and even then, I'm cautious. Don't do it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I have the pistol in the holster and my belt runs over the middle of the holster holding it pretty snug.

I'm more concerned with the safety related to a negligent discharge than being able to move tactically.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    Mexican implies no holster. Don't do it.
    I suppose I'm not carrying true Mexican then, but does anyone have any experience or feel that there is a safety issue having the gun in the holster, and then in the waistband?

It seems convenient, concealable, and easier to draw than from a pocket, but as a new firearms owner I'm probably much more at risk of shooting myself than being attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by PA86 View Post
    I suppose I'm not carrying true Mexican then, but does anyone have any experience or feel that there is a safety issue having the gun in the holster, and then in the waistband?

It seems convenient, concealable, and easier to draw than from a pocket, but as a new firearms owner I'm probably much more at risk of shooting myself than being attacked.
    A holster covers the trigger. That is another great reason to use one. If you're pulling up your pants... adjusting your shirt, etc... the holster keeps your fingers off the trigger.

You can still carry in the waistband... just get an "in waistband" holster (IWB). Sometimes called "inside the pant". You shouldn't use your pocket holster as an IWB. It should have some kind of clip to keep it secured to your waistband and/or belt. IWBs have that.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    A holster covers the trigger. That is another great reason to use one. If you're pulling up your pants... adjusting your shirt, etc... the holster keeps your fingers off the trigger.

You can still carry in the waistband... just get an "in waistband" holster (IWB). Sometimes called "inside the pant". You shouldn't use your pocket holster as an IWB. It should have some kind of clip to keep it secured to your waistband and/or belt. IWBs have that.
    Yea, I actually have a Desantis dual IWB/OWB holster, but its too bulky and doesn't conceal well. The buckle, leather loop, and retension strap all take up a bunch of extra space.

The pocket holster however is flat, and probably nylon, and just slips in fine.

Does anyone have a link to a quality, MINIMALIST IWB holster, one that would be comfortale to carry at maybe 11 instead of3 or 4 oclock??

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast