Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Newbie looking for guidance

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    just remember no firearm gets jelious if you handle others. Why not rent a few to try them out before you buy. That seems to work and some ranges have that option. Any caliber is good if you feel good using it.
    Calvin

Actually mine do get jealous
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by n0nleft View Post
    One thing I left out before was I'm right handed but left eye dominate.
    That is going to be a problem. It will take practice to overcome. There are two options:
    1. Learn to shoot left-handed. Make sure your pistol is equipped with ambidextrous controls.
    2. Train to use your right eye to focus on the front sight. As an aid, put a white index card over the left lens of your shooting glasses. Your eyes will automatically adjust to maintain your vision. Notice that if you cover your left eye you can still read this text. Say good-bye to depth perception.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Actually mine do get jealous
    Well my firearms and I have an agreement, If my friends handle my guns then I can handle others.

Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by VeryPrivate View Post
    That is going to be a problem. It will take practice to overcome. There are two options:
    1. Learn to shoot left-handed. Make sure your pistol is equipped with ambidextrous controls.
    2. Train to use your right eye to focus on the front sight. As an aid, put a white index card over the left lens of your shooting glasses. Your eyes will automatically adjust to maintain your vision. Notice that if you cover your left eye you can still read this text. Say good-bye to depth perception.
    After realizing I had this problem I tried shooting left handed and shot perfectly for all 6 rounds. Yet when I shoot right handed I missed the target half the time because I thought I was aimed properly but was a good ways off. I have no problem shooting left handed instead of my right hand. When I told the guy at the store I had this problem he recommended just using my right hand but using my left eye so that I would just have an unusual stance.

I just tried covering each eye to read your text and for some reason I could read it better covering my left eye. Now I'm even more curious about how messed up I am, lol.

The problem with adjusting your stance to correct for your ocular misalignment, is the bending of your wrist from its correct alignment, i.e. straight. A straight wrist maintains your hands natural pointing ability. This, combined with a proper grip, points the pistol at the target using only muscle memory. It also keeps the wrist in proper position to handle the recoil.

Your best bet is to find an NRA Firearms Instruction and get some live coaching and practice.

(York County)

Hello everyone, I found this site looking for reviews on different pistols. I just got my permit two days ago and looking to buy a pistol this weekend. I was planning on getting a 9mm but my uncle talked me out of it to get a .45. The only brand I really looked into was Glock but I'm open to anything.
    I suggest you make you own decision on caliber.
    I prefer 9 mm and 9 is cheaper to shoot.

As far as recommendations...Glock 19. That'll cost less then $500 which leaves you plenty of funds for a good holster and ammunition.

Good luck in your choice!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post
    That "spell check" I imagine is built into your browser. I modified my Firefox to spell check my entry forms. Select the word, right click and add it to your library. If you can, then it's your browser and not the site. I'm not aware of this forum having a spell check feature.
    THC when you open a text box in this forum does it look like the pictures below? In the one photo I have pointed an arrow to a spell checker that appears on my forum page. I do have a thing called "ieSpell" that's a free add on spell checker for HTML forms for my Internet Explorer browser, however I thought the one I pointed out was part of the forum's page. If you don't see it on your page then it's just ieSpell that inserted itself on the page. Learn something new everyday.

click on photo's for a larger view

(Westmoreland County)

After realizing I had this problem I tried shooting left handed and shot perfectly for all 6 rounds. Yet when I shoot right handed I missed the target half the time because I thought I was aimed properly but was a good ways off.
    That's because you were subconsciously using your dominant eye and thus your eye, the sights and the target were not aligned.

I have no problem shooting left handed instead of my right hand.
    That is the best option.

When I told the guy at the store I had this problem he recommended just using my right hand but using my left eye so that I would just have an unusual stance.
    You don't have to change your stance. Just turn your head to the right somewhat so that your left eye is aligned behind the sights. This should NOT affect your stance. IMPORTANT: DO NOT tilt your head down, turn it slightly to the right.

Louis Awerbuck, one of the most prominent trainers int he country is right handed and left eye dominant and I'm told that's how he shoots.

But again, if you can shoot left handed that's fine but bear in mind there is allot more to "shooting" than marksmanship.

Gun handling and weapon manipulation are just as critical. If you can shoot left handed but can't manipulate your weapon, you're better off shooting right handed and turning your head to the right.

After changing my mind 2 other times about what I wanted (XD9mm to XD45 Tac) I'm going to end up getting a G17C. Unless I can get away on a 'business meeting' I'll have to wait for weekend to get the gun since the store closes 5pm on weekdays.

Has anyone else purchased a gun in the great state of New Jersey. I just found out that aside from what I had to go through for the permits for the state that they didn't take care of the Federal requirements at the time. How long does it normally take for the NIX check. I was told between 15 minutes and a few days, depending on the guy behing the counter doing the check when he feels like it.

Thanx everyone for their help on selecting my first gun. I figure next time I'll get the XD 45 when I get used to the Glock.

(Beaver County)

The nix check only take a couple of minutes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast