Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Open Carry on the streets of Harrisburg?

Quote Originally Posted by Penguini66 View Post
    First of all, great forum guys. I've spent hours reading MANY great threads and topics.

I live and work in the Harrisburg area and regurally end up "down town". I've been considering open carry in the downtown area. (Please, please, please, let's not get into another debate on the pros and cons of the issue.) I was just curious if anybody had any personal experiences with the city and open carry (opinions aside)?

Thanks,
    Eric
    I haven't tried it, but know it's legal. It's interesting that my CCW license from the Cumberland County Sheriff came with an information sheet which included the following statement:

"Your firearm MUST (underlined and in bold) be concealed at all times. Overt and unnecessary display of your firearm in public places can cause alarm and adverse reactions by your fellow-citizens, and create embarrassing situations, which could result in revocation of your license. Carrying a firearm creates the possibility of it being taken from you and used against you or another person."

Some other misstatements on that sheet are:

"Your license does NOT (underlined and in bold) authorize you to carry firearms in another State..."

and

"If you are stopped or approached by a Police Officer, and you have a firearm in your vehicle or on your person, immediately advise the officer that you have a License to Carry Firearms and the location of the firearm."

These misstatements may be what this Sheriff thinks the rules ought to be, but they are not accurate based on what I've read on the PA Atty Gen'l site, packing.org, handgunlaw.us, opencarry.org, or this site.

That sheriff should read up on the laws and stop printing up his own ideas.

He is looking for a lawsuit if he tries to enforce any of his opinions.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmateer View Post
    most will assume you're a cop anyways. Whwn I open carried in Az ( I didn't have a permit for that state) most people that I would tlak to (cashiers, etc....) always asked if I was a cop.
    You PA LTCF is goo din AZ as of September last year. Just follow their rules.

As far as the sherrif printing his own ideas. When I got my permit, there was the tri-fold "Pa Firearm Laws" pamphlet and a printed page listing some restrictions. The "suggested" not carrying while in a bar, or when drining. There were a few more, but I racked my self on the internet for a week trying to find that statute. Finally I called the Sherrif's office and asked. They said it was a suggestion, not a law, which is why it was on a seperate sheet of paper. Also, it wasn't Given to me, it was just there for the taking.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    It's interesting that my CCW license from the Cumberland County Sheriff came with an information sheet which included the following statement:
    Yea, I think I still have that "information sheet" from the Cumberland County Sheriff sitting around somewhere. I meant to scan it so I could post it up somewhere and watch you guys pick it apart. I knew most of the information on it was opinion and not law when I read it. But thought it was pretty poor of the Sheriff to present it the way he did.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    LOL!!
    Rendell would love open carry in Harrisburg!
    It'd be interesting to know if even he actually knows the law. Or lack of law in the case of open carry.
    Last edited by Penguini66; June 4th, 2007 at 08:00 AM.

(Beaver County)

Sounds like he is in need of some training.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Jack View Post
    Sounds like he is in need of some training.
    Indeed.
    Here you go: http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...nal-draft.html

(Cumberland County)

I'm going to the sheriffs office tomorow to correct something in my application. Like last time I will be open carrying into the court house.

The Sheriff sounds like a vigilante to me.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DR. GLOCK View Post
    I'm going to the sheriffs office tomorow to correct something in my application. Like last time I will be open carrying into the court house.

The Sheriff sounds like a vigilante to me.
    Other than the bogus info sheet, I have no quarrel with them. I found them to be fast and efficient - had my LTCF in just a couple of days. They didn't call my references and didn't give me a hard time because one of them lives in Montgomery County, even though the application says they "should" live in Cumberland County.

I asked somebody on another thread but didn't see an answer: what happens when you walk in the front door of the courthouse, past the armed guards and the metal detector? Do you have to check your firearm, or do you just tell them "nothing but these keys, coins, cell phone, and Glock, officer! These aren't the 'droids you're looking for."

I know only the courtrooms themselves are off-limits while carrying, but I'm just curious how the guards handle it at the front entrance.

(Cumberland County)

The last time I went there I locked the gun in the lock box in the lobby. No problem. This time (6/8/07 at or about 1400hrs) I walk in and the deputy looked me over and asked me "why are you carrying a firearm" I replied (without much thought) "because I have a license" (not really the reason for open carry, should have said "because it's legal").

I had to go to the tax dept. in the other build so I left the gun in the car went there and then went back to the sheriffs office.

Before the elevator closed the deputy picked up a phone and I overheard him say "the situation from before was on the way up". So when I got to the lic dept. I said "I was the situation and what was the problem" to the deputy. He said Carlisle had a specific "ordinance" AGAINST open carry. I explained to him localities could NOT make there own firearms regulations.

He could not site the specific ordnance or tell me where to find it.

The deputy told me to call the Carlisle Police Dept. because it was a Carlisle ordnance.

The Carlisle dispatcher told me it was the sheriff that dealt with firearms so they should know. A CPD supervisor never returned my call.

I'm not done with the sheriffs department.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast