Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Open Carry journal in Luzerne co. Particulary Mtn. Top and Wilkes-Barre

This is a thread about my experiences while openly carrying a firearm in NEPA.
    I got the idea for a SITREP type of posting from Skuggi and his thread documenting his experiences in McKees Rocks area
    Skuggi's thread

On to the details:

A little history. Before tonight, I have OC'd in many places throughout NE PA including the the following local businesses in the last 2 weeks:

Gas station in mtn top many times.
    Tony's pizza
    mtn top true-value hardware.
    Subway in mtn top
    Burger King
    of course numerous times while hunting and to-and-from as well as other trips like to the range, etc.

Tonight I ventured into Wilkes-Barre and we can add the following to the open carry success list.
    Circuit City
    Lowes
    Home Depot

All non-events. Not a single comment and only one possible double-take type of "look"
    Was in lowes over an hour and asked assistance from two employees. One for PVC fittings and one for white melmanine (sp?) shelving.

I was wearing OD green cargo shorts with a very light creme colored t-shirt. Nearly white.
    I was wearing my Glock 23 in a black blackhawk SERPA (level II retention kydex) OWB holster. (just got this holster yesterday, BTW, specifically for OC. I like my leather but I feel more comfortable with the level II retention the SERPA affords while open carrying)
    My surefire and extra magazine/pouch on weak side.

The black G23 & black holster stand out like a sore thumb against the creme shirt so I was not being subtle.

I only noticed one double-take type of reaction. That was in lowes. Some dude, looked like he wasn't sure he saw correctly and when I looked his way he just went on his biz like nothing was out of the ordinary.

Contrary to all the experts, It's been uneventful so far.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; July 8th, 2007 at 01:38 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Open Carry in Luzerne co. Particulary Mtn. Top and Wilkes-Barre

Well............I have to admit that I've never, ever seen anyone open carry around here. I know several WB PD guys and I'm not exactly sure how they would handle the situation. They may know the law............but then again, they may not.

WB does have its fair share of gun related calls, so make sure you handle and explain yourself correctly.

I doubt the WB Twp guys know anything!!! I remember a posting over on GT about a guy being asked to leave the mall because he was carrying openly. A perfectly legal thing for the PD to do, but I think their stand was that open carry was illegal. I did send them an emal, through their web page but I never heard back from them.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Well............I have to admit that I've never, ever seen anyone open carry around here.
    Well I guess that makes me a pioneer of sorts. What a shame, but in my observation pretty typical and expected for this area. I've been here since 2000 and let's just say that it was clear to me immediately that this area is not quite typical small city USA :-)

I know several WB PD guys and I'm not exactly sure how they would handle the situation. They may know the law............but then again, they may not.
    Lonnie Wilson OC memo I posted will be mailed to WB city and WB twp tomorrow.

WB does have its fair share of gun related calls, so make sure you handle and explain yourself correctly.
    I'm typically pretty non threatening in my demeanor. Other than packing heat :P
    My plan if stopped/questioned is to politely and positively inform the facts (in brief)... IF given the chance. Further, if an leo is calm and acting appropriately professional, I'll also inform him that as he can see I know the laws and will advise him to be very careful in how he proceeds with me, make a call if need be. Since what I am doing is perfectly legal he needs to make sure he does not do something illegal as I will follow up with appropriate legal action to which he/they stand no chance in court. Again, my reaction will be entirely at the mercy of theirs. If they are out of line my plan is to keep my mouth shut other than answering Q's and let them do what they want to do. They'll have to answer to their actions later if it goes to that.

Also, thanks for the thoughts and info, Steve. Very helpful.

(Luzerne County)

The closest I come to OC in the mtop/wapwallopen area is carrying my 1911 around the house/property and while cutting grass (mostly for snakes/woodchucks and have snake shot and HPs in the mag). Just being on my own property I often get "the look" from folks passing by or walking along the road.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by CQB View Post
    Pa. Patriot,
    I have to agree with this one statement...

"I'm typically pretty non threatening in my demeanor."

Like a teddy bear you just wanna hug!
    Carefull now! People might start talking...

Great post! Informative and too the point. Keep me posted if you go into WB again. I'll take a ride with you. I definitely need to start OCing more. (It's too dang hot!) Just remember to be safe!
    Don't worry, I planned on dragging you along eventually. Kicking, screaming, whatever. Your going!

You and the family are invited to come over sunday. I think I'll be doing some grill work. Maybe a couple cold ones too. Steve, you're more than welcome to come up too. We've never met but it would be nice to have fellow "carriers" get together. Maybe we should start having a function once a month for our area. Meet great people and make some friends.
    This is probably do-able. I'll need a break from the shop by late afternoon Sunday. We'll just walk up, OC'ing of course!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    The closest I come to OC in the mtop/wapwallopen area is carrying my 1911 around the house/property and while cutting grass (mostly for snakes/woodchucks and have snake shot and HPs in the mag). Just being on my own property I often get "the look" from folks passing by or walking along the road.
    I'm in Fairview Heights and I have been OC'ing on my property since I've been here (2000)
    Yard sales, back and forth to the neighbor, mowing, etc, etc, etc.
    Never noticed a look. Until a week and some ago.

Last week my neighbor (elderly greek lady) had her front light post damaged (someone ran it over intentionally.
    I called Fairview PD for her and when they arrived I walked over OC'ing to assist in her report. Officer was very helpful on the report and in giving advice as to how to procede in taking care of some other problems we've been having in our neighborhood (speeding, etc).
    I swear he looked at my sidearm about 20 times and back to me as if he ws soliciting me to make a comment on why I had a gun on me but I acted as if I didn't notice.LOL Of course they all know I'm a gunsmith, just thought it was funny because he was clearly somewhat perplexed.

(Luzerne County)

Was away for a couple weeks.

Today we add the following:

Mountain Top:
    Wychocks (beer distributer)
    Mr. Z's (grocery) Township PD car at pharmacy facing my way on the way in, no response. No idea if he saw me or not.

Other:
    Convenience store at 118 and rt 29 intersection in Sweet valley
    Advanced Arms in Pittston (doesn't count cause I know Chris but it is main St in Pittston)

Wilkes-Barre:
    TGI Fridays, Chris, his wife, my son and I went for late dinner after he closed.
    Place was very busy as would be expected on Fri. night.
    Had conversation about guns with waiter. Conversation arose after Chris mentioned owning a gun shop, not due to comment or question about my sidearm. No mention of my sidearm that was clearly visible by all on aisle side of seat closest to door/hostess podium.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; June 23rd, 2007 at 05:48 PM.

(Allegheny County)

awesome, least no wilkes barre police to draw on ya that's always a good thing!

(Luzerne County)

Thurs. 6/28

Wife finally dragged me out for some long overdue household shopping this evening.

Home Depot, RT309 in Wilkes barre: Went in for area rug, didn't have what we wanted. Bought vertical blinds and some misc.

Lowes, Wilkes-Barre: No good area rugs either...

Wal*Mart, Wilkes-Barre: Cart full of misc household, kids wanted a video game, some short sleeve shirts.
    We spent an hour and a half in Wal Mart.
    Only double take or whispering I saw was in Wal Mart from some kids. Cashiers (one in electronics and the one up front) were both extra friendly

Attire: Tan 5.11 tactical shorts. Casual patterned button-up ss shirt, hiking boots. G23 in BH SERPA.

(Jefferson County)

Keep up the great field reports. Its helps others get a feel for the area in regards to open carry. I believe everyone should take the time to post a journal of their OC experiences for the benefit of others.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast