Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Open Carry in Luzerne co. Particulary Mtn. Top and Wilkes-Barre

I agree.
    When I see that the world doesn't end when you guys OC, it brings me one step closer to the edge... I wanna take the plunge.

Funny thing is, I don't think my wife would bat an eye if I did.
    Just waiting for the right moment... I was thinking of testing the waters by open carrying around the neighborhood while walking the dog, but I still have mixed feelings about letting some of the locals know I have a firearm.

Maybe I should try it first in someplace "manly" (LOL) like Home Depot or something?

Hope you don't mind my posting this here since I'm from Pittsburgh!
    Just wanted to let you know that I read these OC posts and they help ease my mind a bit about the subject.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    ...Maybe I should try it first in someplace "manly" (LOL) like Home Depot or something?
    Baby steps. Start in your yard, your street, maybe some small business where you know the owners well and they know you.
    While pumping gas. You will feel naked at first but these first couple outings will re-assure yourself that you won't get the reaction that you anticipate (everyone staring and pointing). You'll soon think nothing of OC'ing through most of your personal business.

Hope you don't mind my posting this here since I'm from Pittsburgh!
    Just wanted to let you know that I read these OC posts and they help ease my mind a bit about the subject.
    That's why they're here!

(Allegheny County)

Well, I DID OC while doing yardwork once! (baby step #1)

After our walk w/the dog, I had to take off my denim "cover" shirt because I was hot. I had on my Blackhawk SERPA (carbon fiber, baby!) with my G19. I worked in the back for a few hours and made several trips to the street w/bags of debris to place at the curb.
    I was expecting my wife to suggest I remove it since our next door neighbors have a two year old whom they treat like a fragile egg and they hover and worry so much that they would probably freak if they saw me w/a gun within "sight" of their daughter! (even though she was inside)

Don't know if anybody saw the gun or not and after about 15 mins. I forgot I had it on.

Contemplating "step 2"...
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

yeah i'm the same as empty mag, i havent OCed anywhere besides my yard and to a neighbors house.. and i live on a small dead end street just 7houses and theres 3 of us gun nuts always walking around w/ big rifles to eachothers houses so they are used to it....

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    ... our next door neighbors have a two year old whom they treat like a fragile egg and they hover and worry so much that they would probably freak if they saw me w/a gun within "sight" of their daughter! (even though she was inside)
    It's so sad that our society has adopted the ridiculous notion that the mere presence of a firearm is "dangerous". This stigma is exactly the opposite of the truth of course and just one of the many reasons we open carry. I can say from experience that OC DOES help counter this automated "guns are bad" reaction people have been programmed to feel. If those neighbors of yours truly cared about their childs safety they too would own and wear arms. With the right education maybe they will feel that way soon From my experiences with talking with people sometimes all it takes is them finding out that carrying a gun IS OK (legal and that "normal"people do it). From there they decide it is also a good idea all on their own. That was all it took for one of my very own neighbors!

(Luzerne County)

Patriot , You've been lucky so far. I choose the CCW way, I like to "surprize" the criminal element!
    American by birth, Patriot by choice!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by SSGF109 View Post
    ... I like to "surprize" the criminal element!
    Most criminals are deterred by an armed person.
    IMO, if the crime is deterred, there is no need for a 'surprise'. A suprise that you may or may not be able to get to before your dead.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; July 4th, 2007 at 02:26 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    yeah i'm the same as empty mag, i havent OCed anywhere besides my yard and to a neighbors house.. and i live on a small dead end street just 7houses and theres 3 of us gun nuts always walking around w/ big rifles to eachothers houses so they are used to it....
    Well if ya want we can hook up some time after I get a nice OC holster for my XD and go somewhere and OC.

Edit: Scratch that, anytime you want, my bianchi I had from my sigma, works perfect for the XD
    Last edited by Skuggi; July 4th, 2007 at 02:55 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Another uneventful day OC'ing.

Home Depot, Wilkes-Barre:
    Had to return the vertical blinds bought in the previous OC report. NOTE: NEVER let your wife measure anything. Do it yourself.
    No looks noticed.

Ollies Outlet, Wilkes-Barre:
    15% off everything in the store. Wife had to look at every isle/shelf. We were in there well over an hour.
    No looks noticed.

Mountain Freeze, Mountain Top:
    Not a hot day but ice cream is a holiday treat, right?
    One couple was in their Tahoe (newer one) parked next to our Tahoe(older one) The picnic benches were soaking wet so we were standing outside our truck to eat our treat. The guy next to us stared several times. I saw him shrug his shoulders while looking at me as if he was unable to answer the ladies inquiry. They always looked away when spotted.... Whatever, guess I gave them something interesting to talk about on INDEPENDENCE DAY

Attire: Tan cargo shorts, blue ss button up casual shirt. Hikers. Glock 23 in SERPA, spare mag in kydex pouch.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; July 4th, 2007 at 05:57 PM.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Another uneventful day OC'ing.

Home Depot, Wilkes-Barre:
    Had to return the vertical blinds bought in the previous OC report. NOTE: NEVER let your wife measure anything. Do it yourself.
    No looks noticed.

Ollies Outlet, Wilkes-Barre:
    15% off everything in the store. Wife had to look at every isle/shelf. We were in there well over an hour.
    No looks noticed.

Mountain Freeze, Mountain Top:
    Not a hot day but ice cream is a holiday treat, right?
    One couple was in their Tahoe (newer one) parked next to our Tahoe(older one) The picnic benches were soaking wet so we were standing outside our truck to eat our treat. The guy next to us stared several times. I saw him shrug his shoulders while looking at me as if he was unable to answer the ladies inquiry. They always looked away when spotted.... Whatever, guess I gave them something interesting to talk about on INDEPENDENCE DAY

Attire: Tan cargo shorts, blue ss button up casual shirt. Hikers. Glock 23 in SERPA, spare mag in kydex pouch.
    good work, I'll be sure to OC next time I'm out that way.

OT, do locals enjoy Nardone Bros pizza? I haul most of their cheese.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/hovisimo2/sunsetpatrolresizedcopy.gif

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast