Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Law Enforcement Tresspassing

I got a question. I'm home on leave here in the great state of Pennsylvania and I've noticed a number of municipal police officers parked on private property. They appear to be using some sort of speed, distance, & time device, possibly vascar.

Here is my question. Are Pennsylvania LEO's allowed to enter onto anyone's private property to perform one aspect of their job duties, traffic law enforcement?
    I'm specifically speaking of property not open to the public like malls, stores, and other convienences open to the public. I'm talking about Joe Civilians dirt lane, Mr. Farmers field, or Mrs. Q's driveway. In the last few days I've noticed several marked patrol cars with uniformed officers behind the wheel parked on private property. On the roadway near where they are parked are thick white lines running perpendicular to the roadway. It appears to me that these officers are attempting to ensnare speeders. All cruisers were backed in and facing the roadway, some were semi-concealed by vegetation, buildings, or blind curves.

Any feedback is welcome. I would like to hear from a municipal officer or two and get their idea or opinion on this "TACTIC."

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Law Enforcement Tresspassing

I get the distinct feeling that they are indeed trespassing, and would be forced to move if the owner of the property asked them to. I would imagine that they are seldom asked to leave private drives in this fashion; otherwise they wouldn't do it so often.

Of course, it's also possible that they have asked the land owner for permission to use their drive for enforcement related activities, and received it.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Schuylkill County)

It's also possible that the land owner has complained, repeatedly, about speeders preventing them from safely exiting their driveway. The owner may have asked them to come there to help slow things down.

(Bucks County)

The lines painted on the road are a specific space apart for VASCAR devices.

I'd bet that there were reasons to get the lines painted in the first place that came w/ permission to hide in the driveway.

(Mercer County)

I've told a friend who is a local town cop to sit in my driveway to get people who blow the stop sign by my house. He hasn't ever taken me up on it.

(Lancaster County)

Now, they set up those little boxes along the road for ESP I believe it is (they are strips).

They were just set up near the Lancaster/Lebanon County line the other night.

I live on a 25 MPH road where most of the traffic runs at 40 MPH and above. Kids, pets, and adults walk across the road, people bicycle along that road, cars are parked on both sides. We've had multiple accidents within 50 yards of my front door. One neighbor had his parked car totaled, another was crippled by a truck while on foot. Driving 15 or 30 MPH over the posted limit on a quiet residential street is not the same as the revenue-driven speed traps on the highway, these local speeders put residents at risk. And half of them are using cell phones while they speed.

I'd gladly allow local LEO's to use my property to catch speeders.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

got to agree with GL on that one, too many asshole drivers out there and no kids to spare.
    FJB

my understanding that they indeed need to get written consent from the property owner, so if you get busted at said speed trap, that is one you can ask for to see if they have it.

(Jefferson County)

LEO's can only use private properties in such a manner with permission.

I gave the Brookville PD permission to use my driveway to nab speeders after some meth-head decided to play pinball off of curbs, a 60ft spruce tree, and the front of my house last October.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast