Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Was this an LEO non-encounter??

Went to UPS to ship a revolver back to Ruger for service. Was OCing a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag in a thumb break holster.

While I was talking to the lady at the counter, another woman come out from the back room to get something, looked right at me and the revolver, and then went back to the back. Nothing out of the usual. The lady at the front told me they don't have a license to ship my handgun. So she gives me directions to the distributer UPS. The whole time in the store (which was empty) was no longer than 5 mins.

As I walk out of the store, a Sheriffs Dept. SUV is pulling in front of the store, my strong side front and center to the LEO. I go back in my vehicle and work my GPS to find FedEx. The LEO parks one space over and parallel to my vehicle, and after a minute he gets out and goes into the UPS store. He's in there for about 2 mins, he emerges, doesn't even look into my vehicle, and then I leave for fedex.

Question: did someone in the UPS call the police on me? If so, it sure was fast. Like I said, I was in there 5 mins MAX. perhaps it was for something else??

Thoughts?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Was this an LEO non-encounter??

My vote is for 100% coincidence.

You're not the first (and hardly the last) OC'er to give too much credence to others caring about (or even noticing) your sidearm. It's more likely the woman in the store who came out from the back only to return there didn't even notice you were open carrying.

In PA , the County Sheriffs Deputies do not respond to general police calls. They normally only do warrant arrests. Probably looking for someone who worked there.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    In PA , the County Sheriffs Deputies do not respond to general police calls. They normally only do warrant arrests. Probably looking for someone who worked there.
    Depends on where "somewhere" is.

Allegheny County sheriff's deputies (uniquely in PA) have full police powers. And apparently in a few areas I understand the sheriff's dept. provides some sort of "overflow" service for emergency calls. A Dauphin County deputy told me they get go on calls and even patrols in the city of Harrisburg at peak times, by an arrangement between the sheriff and Hburg PD. I'm unclear on precisely how that works in practice, particularly given the generally non-LEO status of deputies.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Lawrence County)

Anyone know what she meant by they didn't have a license to ship his firearm? If some sort of license is required I wouldn't think every single location in the Country would need a separate license. For all the business they get shipping a firearm it wouldn't pay to do that.

Cool Re: Was this an LEO non-encounter??

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    Anyone know what she meant by they didn't have a license to ship his firearm?

Nope! And obviously , neither did she!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

I think she knew her facility was limited in services provided and just used a word (licensed) conveying close-enough meaning that you understood what you needed to do. Boy, how the word, "license" can trigger the tribal response! LOL!

ETA... since no follow-up was attempted re the presence of the sheriff, flipping a coin will probably be accurate enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    Anyone know what she meant by they didn't have a license to ship his firearm? If some sort of license is required I wouldn't think every single location in the Country would need a separate license. For all the business they get shipping a firearm it wouldn't pay to do that.
    Here's what she said: we are a privately owned store, and we don't have a license to ship your firearm. You need to take it to the distribution Ups center.

Is there something fishy about this?? I was a little surprised, since I had the Rma number and everything done as per the UPS website.

(Delaware County)

I had the same occurrence with FedEx. They could ship my 45 to me at home or I could pick it up at the distribution center in grays ferry if I missed it. They could not ship it to the fedex store in my town so I could pick it up at my convenience. It sounded like the store was considered the destination and since they didn't have an ffl, they could not accept it there to transfer to me. I thought it was odd also.
    Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I blame New Jersey for putting itself above the Constitution

(Franklin County)

If it was a UPS Store, they won't ship firearms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast