Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Question Ak pistol as a car/ back packing gun? Which model?

I live in PA and want a romanian AK pistol b.c I am allowed to legally keep one loaded in my vehicle with my carry license but I CANT have a full size rifle or shotgun. I will keep this as a max fire power arm. I was wondering which brand and model has the most reliability? I noticed that alot of the romanian ones dont have chrome lined barrels. Is that a huge problem? What types of groups at what distance do these usually get? If they are as reliable as the full size and can shoot 100 yards I will pick one up. Im guessing they will still go through barriers and things like car doors and body armor even with the short barrel? Would one drop a bear if I took it hiking in a back pack? I have heard bad things about krebs, krink, etc and was hopping the romanians would be hardcore reliable?

(Perry County)

Default Re: Ak pistol as a car/ back packing gun? Which model?

I'm still a noobie but I'll answer this one as best I can:

Chrome is only an issue if you aren't cleaning it
    Most rounds are gonna go through car doors.
    Not sure why you wanna know about body armor pen. I'd say probably but not as well as a full size AK due to lower velocity (i think)

Groups? It's an AK not an AR. And an AK with a shorter barrel for that matter.
    For any distance where you could justify shooting someone in self defense I'd say it would shoot fine.

Can't say much for the reliability as I don't own one. But an normal AK is rock solid so I would assume so. If you want reliability in a handgun go for a glock or a revolver.

Might drop a bear.. hell if I know.

If you want a reliable High power handgun that will drop a bear I can't think of anything better than a S&W 500

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

(Bucks County)

i would suggest you forget about an AK pistol as a truck gun and go with a conventional pistol. AK pistols are in excess of 12" long, front end heavy, poor sites and cumbersome to get into action quickly. in addition, it wouldn't fit into the glove compartment or center console so you're stuck keeping it under the seat which keeps it out of reach. the AK pistol is a fun range gun or a good candidate to SBR but it would make a poor choice for carrying in a vehicle. i had two AK pistols and while they were fun to shoot i would never consider one for any kind of self defense mission.

i would get a used ruger, SW, beretta in 9mm, 40 cal or 45 and keep it as your truck gun.

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    i would suggest you forget about an AK pistol as a truck gun and go with a conventional pistol. AK pistols are in excess of 12" long, front end heavy, poor sites and cumbersome to get into action quickly. in addition, it wouldn't fit into the glove compartment or center console so you're stuck keeping it under the seat which keeps it out of reach. the AK pistol is a fun range gun or a good candidate to SBR but it would make a poor choice for carrying in a vehicle. i had two AK pistols and while they were fun to shoot i would never consider one for any kind of self defense mission.
    Have to agree here, I have a Yugo Krinkov and they are heavy, bulky and you can't hit the broad side of a barn with them ... that's why I am SBR'ing it

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Have to agree here, I have a Yugo Krinkov and they are heavy, bulky and you can't hit the broad side of a barn with them ... that's why I am SBR'ing it
    UMMMMM, Pennsy handled it just fine..................

(Allegheny County)

I'm new to the LTCF scene, but I was under the impression a LTCF allowed you to carry any firearm (handgun, shotgun, rifle, etc) loaded in your car... (I'm also a new PA resident, so if this is a stupid question I apologize heh)

Quote Originally Posted by fireblast713 View Post
    I'm new to the LTCF scene, but I was under the impression a LTCF allowed you to carry any firearm (handgun, shotgun, rifle, etc) loaded in your car... (I'm also a new PA resident, so if this is a stupid question I apologize heh)
    NO, only a handgun.

You cannot carry a LOADED Rifle or Shotgun in a vehicle.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    NO, only a handgun.

You cannot carry a LOADED Rifle or Shotgun in a vehicle.
    I also believe that you can carry a SBS or SBR as they are no longer defined as a shotgun/rifle and are now "Firearms".

As far as the AK pistol. Without a stock, it would be very hard to get accuracy out of it. With a stock and an aimpoint, people have been able to hit targets out to 100yrds. BTW, if you put a stock on a pistol it becomes a short barreled rifle, and you must get ATF approval first.

As far as brands. Romanians typically do have chrome lined barrels. Look for Draco or Champion. Those are true rommy pistols. The other ones are basically standard AKs built as pistols.

Krinks ... Two things to think about here. Most of the time when people are referring to Krinks they are really talking about Krinkovs as they are called here in the US. These are Short Barreled Rifles like the Yugo M92 and the Bulgy AKS-74U. These are/were factory built SBRs. Now, there was also a manufacturer that made receivers that's name was "Krinks". There have been issues with their stuff and that might be what your referring to as having heard bad things about krink.

As far as penetration. Most rounds will go through car doors. Please check out this site for results of a lot of testing http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Body Armour ... I guess it really depends on velocity. I don't know the velocity of the 7.62 round out of a pistol. It will also depend on what pistol, because their barrel lengths are different. Plus, the Bulgy AKS-74 shoots the 5.45 round.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

Are you planning on doing a drive-by shooting or something? How strong is your arm? An AK, even pistol version, is heavy and you're not gonna be able to one-hand it so either you start eating a shitload of spinach or you'll have to learn how to drive with your knees. As wellcraft said, nowhere to hide that thing and while they're perfectly legal, you'll have some explaining to do if you are stopped (and searched). I wouldn't take any chances of the cops knowing the differences between a rifle and a pistol either.

Just because you're allowed to, it doesn't mean you should. Get yourself a .357 or .44 mag and be done with it.

Al

(Lackawanna County)

That's a little much unless you're tooling through downtown Fallujah, don't you think????
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast