Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default A few resizing questions...

Hi gang...everyone has been very helpful in all questions I have asked & provided ALOT of insightful information. I'd rather ask here BEFORE putting anything into practice so I dont lose my booger hooks...or worse.

Is it practicle or even a good idea to resize say a .357 down to .355? I have alot if .357 swc in 158 gr & need .380.

Realizing that weight is a crucial factor...Any idea what a bullet would weigh if it could be reduced down to .355? Is it possible to somehow effectively & SAFELY shave off more weight if needed?

In the reload data I have I dont have a recipie for anything bigger than 115gr.

(Pike County)

Default Re: A few resizing questions...

Quote Originally Posted by HeXeD775 View Post
    Hi gang...everyone has been very helpful in all questions I have asked & provided ALOT of insightful information. I'd rather ask here BEFORE putting anything into practice so I dont lose my booger hooks...or worse.

Is it practicle or even a good idea to resize say a .357 down to .355? I have alot if .357 swc in 158 gr & need .380.

Realizing that weight is a crucial factor...Any idea what a bullet would weigh if it could be reduced down to .355? Is it possible to somehow effectively & SAFELY shave off more weight if needed?

The practical way I can think of is to sell them and buy .380 heads Or trade 'em.

You would have to not only resize them (which if jacketed will probably ruin the bond of core to jacket. The jacket is "springier' than the lead core) but also reduce the weight by about a third.

--RobW

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the info...they are not jacketed. I figured it was more trouble than it was worth...but possible if neccessary.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HeXeD775 View Post

If you put the .357 lead bullets in the Lyman sizer/lubricator, you will not "shave" anything, you will merely constrict them by extrusion, leaving you with exactly all the weight you started with. It is only two thousandths of an inch.

Your .380 ACP requires usually, .355/356. However, the weights common in 380ACP are more like 85 gr to 115 gr. If you have a 110gr RN lead, it would be fine. Or a 100gr SWC, (which I shoot extensively in my Llama Especial).

But 158 gr is just a bit too much for common reloading in 380ACP.

Flash