Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Only when close to home..

People often come up with the topic, why do you carry; it is not dangerous where you are going... It is not dangerous where you live…

I live just 2 minutes drive from Downtown Ambridge, nice area, My home is protected by so many gun owners, it is hard to find some one who does not own at least one HD gun, most own more then one, LTCF and prices of guns are almost a regular conversation topic here on my street.

Next door neighbor is National Guard, owns firearms… Police station is 5 houses away, one of the police officers is also National Guard so is regularly next door at his friends house. Obviously I own guns; there is a Sheriff Deputy down the street. From what I understand, there is one neighbor within 500 feet of my home that is not pro gun or able to own guns, not quite sure what one it is…

Now you would expect that no crime could occur near my home, I often go out and around other areas that as “safe” per the media and or realtors trying to sell homes in those areas.

So how is it that http://www.wpxi.com/news/14212999/detail.html some one who is 62 years old delivering pizza to make ends meet could get beaten to an inch of his life and possibly go blind within 2 minutes from my home?

Arrests Made In Beating That Left Pizza Man Blind

Suspects' Identities Not Released

POSTED: 6:05 pm EDTSeptember 26, 2007
    UPDATED: 8:10 pm EDTSeptember 26, 2007
    BEAVER COUNTY, Pa. -- Two people, ages 22 and 17, have been arrested in the beating of a pizza delivery man in BeaverCounty. Officials said the suspects leave out of state but had ties to people in the Ambridge area.
    The beating last week left James Cole Jr., 62, partially blind. Police believe he was lured to Ambridge and then robbed.
    Cole said he was attacked after he gave two men everything for which they asked for. Cole said the men told him to get on the ground and they were going to kill him.
    The suspects' identities have not been released.
    Cole, who's retired, said he delivered pizza because he thought it was fun and it gave him exercise. He said the incident isn’t going to make him quit.
    Stay with Channel 11 and WPXI.com for continuous updates.

Personally, I think this is the main reason I want to carry a firearm, I just never know when one of these thugs will come out and decide i am his next lunch ticket. I may not deliver pizza, but I do have some money, I do travle through this city every once in a while, and I dont think I should feel like a victim every time I leave my home to go buy milk.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Only when close to home..

I always tell everyone: I'd rather have it 1,000 times and not need it, then to need it once, and not have it.

Proud member of:

(Jefferson County)

I think Hammurabi had it right... an eye for an eye.

Those who are found guilty well beyond a shadow of a doubt should suffer the same as their victim.

Those two should be held down, beat within inches of their life and blinded.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Erie County)

At least they didn't kidnap him, strap a bomb around his neck, and make him rob a bank.

Stupid kids.

(Centre County)

I have a gun with me all the time now, even being in nice, safe State College . I travel a lot in my job and if the job is in PA I carry a gun along. Out of state it's just too much of a hassle to take one (I fly alot). There are too many crazies out there nowadays and I want to be able to protect myself and my family. It took me several years (yes years) to convince my Mom (77) to lock the front door when she leaves the house and when she goes to bed. It used to be that up here you could keep you house or car unlocked and nothing would ever happen. Not now.

Also have a friend who moved back to LA when he got out of the USAF and became a LA County Sheriffs Deputy. After academy graduation and out on the street for a short time he didn't carry his gun, cuffs or ID when off duty (optional, not required to). One day he stopped at a 7-11 on his way home and while standing in line to pay for his stuff the epiphany struck "What the hell am I standing in a stop and rob with no protection or capability to do anything." He says he now carries a weapon, quick cuffs and his ID everywhere he goes, even at the beach.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

The primary reason I carry a gun is because I can!
    It's my right, and I choose to exercise it. Nobody will protect me period.
    It's my responsibility to take care of myself.

I am one of the least likely on this forum to need to defend myself with deadly force due to where I choose to live, but a false sense of security is not safety.

Last weekend in Smethport (10 minutes away) a gun was brandished by a guy from Harrisburg during an argument. So there it is.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Personally, I think this is the main reason I want to carry a firearm, I just never know when one of these thugs will come out and decide i am his next lunch ticket. I may not deliver pizza, but I do have some money, I do travle through this city every once in a while, and I dont think I should feel like a victim every time I leave my home to go buy milk.
    Yeah I feel the same way too especially living in my neighborhood. And because I have my own business I'm always going to the bank to make deposits, so I will never leave my house without my firearm.

rand

I take mine everywhere with me now. Its part of my "dress". I don't care if it prints, and it always does. I have never had a problem anywhere. Even in my bank. The sign on the bank says "no hats or sunglasses", nothing about firearms.
    I'm am usually alone when I travel so I always take my "little man" with me. Last night I drove a couple of blocks for some cigs. Took the dog with me too. I get out of the car and there are a group of "hoods" standing in front of the store, kind of loitering. They are looking at me and my car with the dog. As I approached, they could see the "little man" at my side and huge german shepherd in my car. They opened the door for me. There were a few older gentlemen in the store sitting around having coffee. They started whispering "shes got a gun". I turned around smiled, walked towards the door and the "hoods" opened the door for me and said have a nice night, beautiful dog. I said have a nice night and thank you.
    Moral of my story is if you see my car around, stay away from me, i'm carrying. I'm not taking any chances anymore. I have my ltcf and I am going to use it, everywhere. If I can't carry concealed, (i always print) I ain't going to that store/bank/anywhere. My life means more to me than that. What if my car breaks down? I have a cell phone, spare tire, and some other things, but my "little man" would be the one I rely on in crisis.
    Something as trivial as delivering a pizza and the poor gentlemen gets beaten and robbed. He should of had a gun, even if it was "illegal". I hope these a-holes get what they deserve, picking on an elderly who really couldn't defend himself. Thats really the bottom of the barrel. They will probably just get some kind of probation because they come from a broken home, or their mommies didn't love them or they were crackheads, or they have no father. It goes on and on. It makes me so sick inside to hear things like this.
    Thats why I always carry, with 20 dollars................worth of ammo!

(Allegheny County)

We've created a "monster"!
    LOL!

Good for you Michele.
    Close to home, or 100 miles away... we have no way to know when we "need" to be ready so be ready all the time.

Ask ANY victim of a violent crime if he/she KNEW ahead of time, that they were going to be a victim that day.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    We've created a "monster"!
    LOL!

Good for you Michele.
    Close to home, or 100 miles away... we have no way to know when we "need" to be ready so be ready all the time.

Ask ANY victim of a violent crime if he/she KNEW ahead of time, that they were going to be a victim that day.
    A sensible monster at that!
    I even have a concern now when I go to the shoots, that I leave my son home gunless. I really should get him that Mossberg NOW instead of waiting for Santa.
    Because, you never know. They always say worst shit happens close to home.