Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Thumbs up Citizens Bank Park(Phillies-Pirates JULY 11 game) Observations and a SURPRISE!

I went with my son(10) and a few friends to the Pirates-Phillies game last night----talk about a come-back win for the Phillies in the bottom of the 9th! A friend had some perk Diamond Club tickets - nice dining and seats - more of that later

Everyone here always asks about carry at zoo/museum/stadium so here's a pre-emptive experience for you!

I CC just about everywhere I can LEGALLY - I do not recognize policy as overly binding. This IS Philly after all! SO with my Kahr PM9 IWB under a tasteful Hawaiian shirt, we proceeded inside. Gate security only checked bags/purses/carried items- and poorly at that. No wand/no pats/.

We proceeded to the Club area - had a very nice meal - and time to relax before the game - the crowd/facilities/weather/mood were all excellent!

Now it gets interesting - our seats were GREAT - right behind the home-plate to 1st base line - lets say anywhere from row 4 to 8 (not specific for a very good reason!) Our group sat in seats 1-6 movement thru the evening had us in different seats over time.
    As I look around to see the crowd - the following comes to light - row #1 - Seat #1-#4 - An older white-haired gentleman-red cap - on his left a woman - his wife - another woman - and another gent.

Row 2 - I counted up to 8 persons - inclusive of 2 women - some in sports coats - some polo shirts - some with an odd over-shirt/vest (PFG-logo on back?)
    Row 3 - Man /wife and two early teen.........hmmmmmmmmm----wait a sec - the row 2 crew - ALL with flesh-tone/neutral colored wires to ear-pieces - some right some left . Notice some walking up or down the steps to switch off - same set-up. Closer inspection I see a tell-tale print on a few - some left-side----some right.

Row #1-Red cap gent - turns to guy in aisle for a soda - well - Hello Mr. Vice President!
    Yep - Here is Joe Biden and wife and friends sitting in row # 1 - and me and my conceal-carry 3-7 yards behind him (trust me - was closer to the former).
    Row 2 full of Secret Service - numerous "other" security in aisles at times and near entry points.

From what I could tell - no SS in other rows or behind me - not to say they were not there!

The VP was very pleasant/accommodating - signing autographs for kids and a few photo ops during team switches/inning changes. Stadium security worked well to hold back the crowds. My son had his ticket signed and a nice photo. Even had Tony Orlando there too - he had a photo op with the VP and mugged for the cameras a bit!

Let me be subjective now - I despise and disagree with the man-his boss the Prez - the administration and the policies - But I will still respect the office. I am a law-abiding , staunch 2A supporter - and at that point - just more that a little concerned as to where I may spend the evening if discovered!

Apparently - the VP must be more expendable then the Prez - many people with easy access to him all evening. Me - behind him - 3-5 yards away and CC - with a completely unobstructed view that varied from when he was sitting to standing - did I mention the nervous part? All SS were behind him to his left - not a one on his right. I chatted with people behind me as more realized who was in row #1. There is no way Obama would be THAT out in the open or approachable!

Long story short (too late?) I did move freely throughout the evening - restroom and snack breaks - and a night spent back in my own bed - and not the local federal facility! ALL of us stayed the entire game - Biden and crew included!

Have at it!
    Last edited by sjohn26; July 12th, 2009 at 10:58 AM.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Citizen Bank Park(Phillies game) Observations and a SURPRISE!

I enjoyed this, great reading. =) Not to mention you were at one of the best games of the season =) We're heading out today for the 1:35 game. I hope it has us on the edge of our seats like last night's game.

As far as your CC, good for you. The last game I went to they made me return my pepper mace to my car. It's attached to my key ring and when they searched my pockebook they found it.

On TV they showed Biden talking to J-Roll, and Biden started poking him in the chest because Biden was so excited with the win. J-Roll's face was priceless.

I'm amazed you weren't scrutinized more considering proximity to the vp
    Of course this is how it should always be…a non-event.
    Cool story!
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

My son was at the game also, you saw a great one.

You really think Biden matters? (sarcasm)
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I'm amazed you weren't scrutinized more considering proximity to the vp
    Of course this is how it should always be…a non-event.
    Cool story!
    I imagine the guy in the camera tower wasn't the only one with a zoom lens watching the area

I did strain my eyes to find any counter-sniper types in the rafters - next time I'll bring my binoculars! My son and I are not big b-ball fans - was his 1st visit to a real stadium - prior games were to see the Reading Phillies at the 1st Energy stadium - a nice place all it's own!

Was humorous - at one point my 10-yr old was pointing out the SS agents printing.......was soooooo tempted to chit-chat and inquire what they carried - considering my situation I held my curiosity for the evening.

(Lehigh County)

Geez, and last year I couldn't even bring a bottle of water and a sandwich into Yankee Stadium.

All things considered, I think it's very fortunate for you that nobody noticed your firearm. Especially those SS guys.

(Montgomery County)

You should have asked him to autograph your Kahr PM9. That would have been something you'd never forget. You would have probably got to meet a few other people too. You probably could have found out the type shoes they were wearing too - as they were boot stompin ya.

Glad it turned out well.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    You should have asked him to autograph your Kahr PM9. That would have been something you'd never forget. You would have probably got to meet a few other people too. You probably could have found out the type shoes they were wearing too - as they were boot stompin ya.

Glad it turned out well.
    ROFL!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Citizens Bank Park(Phillies-Pirates JULY 11 game) Observations and a SURPRISE!

SS Protective services, Sig226's, FN FiveseveNs and you probably had a few Uzis close by.

Uniformed services and 'regular' agents, P90s for the most part.

Last election, they actually kept a team here in Scranton the candidates were through here so much.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Berks County)

Default Re: Citizens Bank Park(Phillies-Pirates JULY 11 game) Observations and a SURPRISE!

I've dealt with SS before (in a professional capacity) and you weren't seeing everything. They probably had no idea you were strapped (not only you more than likely) but there were people behind and around you, trust me. I GUARANTEE more than one pair of eyes was scanning you and everyone around you on a regular basis the whole time you were there.

I used to like talking with the agents, they really were nice people. Once you get past that part where they'll take your life in a millisecond if you try to hurt their primary, they're just regular people. With LOTS of neat toys.
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast