Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1911 question

(Lancaster County)

Default 1911 question

Ok, ive been shooting my Star BM this past 2 weeks and have gotten hooked. The Star BM is a 1911 clone in 9mm. Now not completely a clone , but acording to what ive read a cheap version of one. Iam itching now to get a 1911 in just about any brand. Looking like the best option to go with is the Taurus pt-1911 for price wise. What do you guys think a good price for one is? I dont care if its blued or stainless I just want one now,lol.

Ive decided Im going to sell my S&W 40 and all related 40cal stuff to raise the money.
    No longer posting

Default Re: 1911 question

Well it's the same old story of you get what you pay for. Personally I stick with only Colt or Smith and Wesson. A friend at work bought a Taurus and sent it back to be fixed. It came back repaired and tagged with "repaired and adjusted missing part". There are other good guns out there that I might own, but I wouldn't touch a Taurus. They just look cheap to me. Just my two cents.

(Lebanon County)

springfield INC makes a good one too.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Lebanon County)

I have a PT1911 along with a few others including a Colt, a Para, a Sig, etc. I would say that I shoot the PT1911 the most. It is a very accurate pistol, and is very reliable. I have had no major failures with it, and from time to time when I get it gunky from shooting 1000rds+ (In one sitting) it may have a fail to feed, and one time a piece of dirt wedged behind the extractor causing a few fail to ejects. Again nothing proper maintenance couldn't resolve.

For the money I couldn't be happier with the pistol and you will find that the majority of the PT1911 owners will say the same thing. The was a small batch when they first came out that had a safety issue but that has long since been resolved. Even if you have that issue (Some how you get a one of early ones) you can fix it yourself in about 10mins and with spending maybe $15.00. Now, you could also send it back to Taurus due to its lifetime warranty. I personally would rather fix it myself then be without one of my pistols for any period of time.

I personally do not like the sights they come with "Straight 8s" but it just takes a little adjustment. I would swap them out for a different set, but the cut is custom worked out with Heinie and Taurus. Again, nothing a proper pistol smith can't fix, just more of an annoyance.

So yea, if you want a PT1911 feel confident in your purchase.

(Chester County)

Buy a Colt in any flavor and never look back. The Springfield GI is also an excellent pistol for the money. Remember a 1911 can be upgraded over time to fit your individual needs. Dont buy cheap... Invest in quality and you will have a great pistol for a lifetime.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    Buy a Colt in any flavor and never look back. The Springfield GI is also an excellent pistol for the money. Remember a 1911 can be upgraded over time to fit your individual needs. Dont buy cheap... Invest in quality and you will have a great pistol for a lifetime.
    Kind of a one track way of thinking isn't? I mean, there is nothing wrong with a Taurus PT1911. What has been your personal experience with them?

According to one of your posts, you would have to "look back" with a Colt purchase. http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/64...lt-recall.html

I have nothing against Colt, my Mark IV Series 80 (38 Super) rocks, but it isn't something so incredibly head and shoulders above the rest that it would be the only brand I would consider for another 1911 purchase.

(Monroe County)

If you want a lot of bang for the buck look at a Springfield PX9109LP. Has all the enhancements of the loaded models and night sights for between 700 and 800 dollars. Also consider STI Spartan between 6-700.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0sty View Post
    Kind of a one track way of thinking isn't? I mean, there is nothing wrong with a Taurus PT1911. What has been your personal experience with them?

According to one of your posts, you would have to "look back" with a Colt purchase. http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/64...lt-recall.html

I have nothing against Colt, my Mark IV Series 80 (38 Super) rocks, but it isn't something so incredibly head and shoulders above the rest that it would be the only brand I would consider for another 1911 purchase.
    Dont get your point. You bring up a post where I mentioned a recall by Colt. That is a sign of a good company, one that steps up to the plate when there is a problem. I have never said I needed to look back at buying a Colt....

When thumb safeties were literally breaking off Taurus 1911's did they recall them to fix it? NO they did not. When they had a problem with their hammers did they recall them? NO.

Does Taurus have a 100 year history of building 1911's? Does Taurus use less MIM than any other commercial maker? NO. Has Taurus ever had a contract with the DOD? NO. Are Taurus pistols made in America by American workers? NO. I could go on and on... They are cheap for a reason. If you cant figure out why, that's your problem.

Not once did I say a word about Taurus, I have never seen the need to bad mouth another builder to promote the quality of the builders that I prefer.

I own Colt, Springfield, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Les Baer, Hk, Sig, Barretta, Full House Customs by John Harrison and Browning. I prefer to pay for quality upfront.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    If you want a lot of bang for the buck look at a Springfield PX9109LP. Has all the enhancements of the loaded models and night sights for between 700 and 800 dollars. Also consider STI Spartan between 6-700.
    The STI's are just evil looking. I almost bought one a couple of weeks ago. I did like the Spartan, but there was another that was slightly thinner and hand nicer sights which had me seriously considering it.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    Before you buy a colt, or anything, i have a Taurus, a Wilson CQB, a Les Baer, a Springfield, and 2 delta elites, thats just to name a few off the top of my head, as there are 37 1911's in the safe. some full customs like my grandfathers Armund Swenson, that is the finest custom 1911 ever made period. SIG-GIRLS, SIG GSR 1911 is a very nice example of a 750-900 dollar 1911. if it were me i would go for the Rock Island Armory Tactical, and NEVER LOOK BACK, i dont like my colts at all i crry the CQB alot, and the Les Baer has been deligated to a safe queen, the Delta Elites are a once in a 2yr period i shoot them, and the PT1911 gets used alot at the rang over 7,800rds through it with no problems, but the best bang for the buck is the RIA, then the Taurus, they are both more accurate then you can ever be, they will be fine when you want to upgrade. and they are more reliable then some others on the list. with Colt you spend to much for the name, the Wilsons at 2200 start are more thenb should be paid for a semi- full custom, les is nice but almost 3,000 for a pistol that yes will out shoot and run better then any 1911 has a right too, is over priced.
    If you are just getting into the 1911 game i could not recomend a more capable pistol then the RIA tactical has all the features you want for under $500.00, most places, and you will be very supprised by the fit finish and quality of these pistols. Just my $0.02 cents but i have been around, trained, used, and shot more 1911's then most people will ever hope to handle.
    Last edited by 1911shooter; July 11th, 2009 at 09:08 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast