Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Unholstered pocket carry....

So obviously this is a no-no, but is there a concensus on the general safety of carrying an unholstered gun in the pocket with an EMPTY chamber?

Weapon in question is a Glock.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Unholstered pocket carry....

That would fail the "treat every weapon as if it was loaded" warning but I don't see why you couldn't do it safely as long as you knew it was empty.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by vette97 View Post
    That would fail the "treat every weapon as if it was loaded" warning but I don't see why you couldn't do it safely as long as you knew it was empty.
    you read my mind.
    "I Don't Miss"

(Clearfield County)

I'm not sure why it would be a no-no, there isn't a firearm fairy watching everyone.

I carry both my Kimber Ultra CDP (.45 ACP) and Colt Mustang (.380 Auto) in a pocket holster (not at the same time) with a full magazine and empty chamber. I'm not sure where there might be a problem with that.

Also, when I carry my S/A XD45 or Beretta 92FS with an IWB holster, I leave the chamber empty. Operating the slide is a coarser motor skill than trying to activate the safety on the Beretta, Kimber or Colt and I'm still not entirely comfortable with the dual safety of the XD45.

Some folks will say you shouldn't carry with an empty chamber, but it is a matter of personal preference. Remember, that's what freedom is all about.

I give up a little in response time for increased safety. My decision, my trade off, and I think you make up for it with heightened situational awareness and not putting yourself in a position where someone can "jump you" without a heads up.

Just my not so humble opinion.
    "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." G.K. Chesterton

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA86 View Post
    So obviously this is a no-no, but is there a concensus on the general safety of carrying an unholstered gun in the pocket with an EMPTY chamber?

Weapon in question is a Glock.
    Why not just pick up a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster? They are only about $30.

(Mifflin County)

If you're carrying with an empty chamber, you may as well just leave it at home. If you ever do NEED it, you'll be dead before you ever chamber a round and get "on target".

(Delaware County)

how fast can you draw and chamber with one hand, if for some reason you can't use both hands (holding onto something, broken hand, inappropriate use of super glue).

i prefer 1 in the chamber, ready when i need it and holds more then just 1 mag. If your are not comfortable with that then do not do it, and don't force yourself to unless your ready and if your going to carry it in your pocket i'd advise it is the only thing in that pocket. i've heard of change in revolvers making them inoperable or the chance of a pen/key pulling the trigger.

IMO pocket carry reduces draw speed to begin with and in my experience requires some additional training exercises. Adding the empty chamber to the equation adds just one more delay to process, and an unnecessary one at that.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Montgomery County)

I just bought the Desantis pocket holster, hopefully its compact enough to fit my needs. With no holster the G26 fits in my pocket pretty damn well.

The reason I'm considering holsterless w/ empty chamber is that I wait tables, any kind of shoulder or waist rig is out, and I don't think ankle carry would be very comfortable on my feet all day scurrying about. I'd rather be able to carry and have to rack the slide than carry nothing.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll let you know how the Desantis turns out.

(Delaware County)

When I was pocket carrying my Kahr CW9 I would put it in an Uncle Mikes IWB (lefty) sidekick. The clip on the holster in my pocket would cover the trigger from being hit from outside my pants. Of course the Kahr was much thinner and the trigger pull much longer but it worked fine for me. Don't think I'd carry in the pocket without it.

When I first started to carry I did the empty chamber thing, in spite of the above mentioned long trigger and clip protected trigger area. Someone here, I forget who, sorry, suggested carrying the gun empty (quadruple checking to be sure it was) but having racked the slide for a week going about life as I always had. Each time I checked it hadn't gone off by itself, gave me the confidence to carry with a loaded chamber, with no problems.

I carry an SP101 .357 magnum in a Blade Tech IWB ultimate concealment holster now.