Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Looking at precision rifles

Hello PAFOA let me here comments on Precision rifles in .308, yeah the Tactical kind!

I am thinking about doing the 700 BDL route with a 24" heavy barrel and Nightforce scope.

Thanks,
    Travis F
    "Founded by law abbiding gun owners" - USA
    Proud owner of the "Black Rifle" and its iron curtain counterpart.

Default Re: Looking at precision rifles

With a name like "Tactical556" it wouldn't be right if you did not own a "Tactical" rifle. If you are putting on a NF scope, why get a cheap BDL? Why not opt for a better Remington...IE...5R, LTR, 700P, VS?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    With a name like "Tactical556" it wouldn't be right if you did not own a "Tactical" rifle.
    Don't read to far into that username, its more of a cool guy thing.. Anyway I was thinking about an LTR but the Nightforce scope that I mention happened to just kinda fall into my lap as I did not purchase it outright. I was in Gunder MTN in Harrisburg this last weekend and I saw a Savage 110FP and I liked it. The 700 series action seems to be the cornerstone of most long range precision rifles so I just thru out a 700 BDL to see if I was heading in the right direction.
    Travis F

I've owned a few Savages and they all shot well, I just didn't like the actions on Savage rifles. The 10FPs are very nice and if you need work done, I'd contact Fred at SSS. He is the man when it comes to all things Savage, so call him and put yourself on the waiting list.

Which NF model were you looking at....a local gun shop had a BR model, which I thought was overkill as far as magnification was concerned. NF has some very clear glass, but then again so does my Nikon "Tactical" and my IOR scope. If you found a NF for a good price, I say you are ahead of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical556 View Post
    Don't read to far into that username, its more of a cool guy thing..
    BTW, who told you that you were kewl? Or did you self appoint yourself as being kewl with an ID such as Tactical556? LOL

(York County)

Not sure of the model, I have used Leupold's in the past and have no complaints even from my good ole BSA optics. I know that optics make the gun all that much better, the market for a .308 precision "tactical" rifle is flooded. Just want a nice, not overly (2500 and up) priced accurate gun to hit 300 and 400 yard steel plates with.

In the classifieds section you will see I am selling my Benelli M4 for about 1250, with that money I plan to get a rifle and decent scope. Heck might even take it up to White Tail camp this year, just for giggles... as must of my in-laws are X-Army and will oggle it then say, thats too much gun.
    Travis F

(Allegheny County)

I'd send you down to my Gunsmith Norm but good luck getting a gun out of his shop in Jacksonville NC. by mid 2008 to early 2009. He is so backed up with Military orders he is losing his mind. IBA

I took my Savage 10FP 308 hunting the first year I started to hunt. It was pretty heavy by the end of the first day of hunting. I like the heavy barrels, but they definately add some weight. I only own one light weight bolt rifle in .243 and I'll probably sell it for a heavy barrel.

I saw your shotgun in the classified ad and it's a very nice one. I have this thing about dumping over 1k for a shotgun. Which is ironic because I find that the shotgun is overall the best platform out of rifles, pistols and shotguns.

If you get a Remington, do you have any plans on adding a magazine system? I've been going back and forth about putting on an AICS, but I just haven't been able to justify the $800 price tag for the stock.

(York County)

ALS, I hear that a lot with the higherend custom rifles

aubie515, no one told me, I just act like it... Anyway, I have a lightweight Marlin 330 in .35 shooting the new Hornday Leverevolutions but I think I want to get back to the bolt action. If I get a 700 series action I think I am going to mate it to a Knoxx AXIOM stock for it, I have had the SPEC-Ops one on a Mossberg 500 and it will throw 3" slugs down range with little or no beating to your shoulder.

The Benelli was like I said an impulse buy, had to have it but don't need it.
    Travis F

We might need a sticky if this keeps up. This is the second post this week about "long range guns 4 beginners". First post, click here.

And also:
    http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700p.htm
    http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast