Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maverick 88

(Bucks County)

Default Maverick 88

Just bought one off of personalsecuityzone.com and have to get it sent to my FFL. I can't wait to get it, was only 220. Hopefully within the week i can get some pics up. Anyone else own one, likes/dislikes? And what ammo do you shoot, 00 buck, slugs?
    "

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Maverick 88

I have one... from a few years ago.

Works great as a Home defense.

Dislikes... none really...works like a champ.

Kinda would like to have a double rail... but I did get it for 75.00 ... a few years ago.

(Blair County)

Mine does everything I've asked of it, primarily shoot birdshot outta it. Don't shoot it a whole lot though
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Lancaster County)

I bought one from Walmart a few years ago for around 169. I changed some things about it over the years though. I put a smooth 18 inch barrel on, folding stock and heat shield. The gun has always pefrormed flawlessly. I was always thinking I had a second rate shotgun so I eventually picked up a Remington 870 for around 300 new. The Maverick actually ejects more reliably and they both shoot the same. For the money they cant be beat. Enjoy.

(Northumberland County)

i had one with Mod choke and 28"barrel i sold it so i could stock up on ammo , it kinda kicked hard cuz it was very light, kicked harder then my dads Remington model 870 pump. u can use buck 00,000 and rifled slugs (no sabots) i paid 177.00 for mine at walmart in St.Clair.
    Last edited by TXDMERC73; July 12th, 2009 at 10:38 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I think you'll like it. I got one a few months ago (12 ga., 20" barrel for the house), and it works great. I've shot mainly 00 through it, but a little birdshot and slugs just for fun, and it stays loaded with #4 buck for the home defense scenarios.

Not a bad price these days, mine was a little more at the LGS (so no shipping). Lots of interchangeable parts w/ the Mossberg 500, too, so there's a lot of versatility w/ the Maverick.
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

My primary HD gun. I have the two rail model and I love it. Only mods are a Limbe Eaze butt pad and a High Viz bead.

Bump!

My buddy just bought a used Maverick 88 from his bro in law for about $75 A few days later my buddy wants to sell it to me for some reason... I raise the issue of it sounding fishy why he just bought it, and wants to sell it to me. He is asking for $50. I want to go fondle it before I decide anything... But I dont know... $50 aint to shabby for a shotty... If all looks good and checks out I might go for the buy...
    ΑΣΦ

(Philadelphia County)

It might have no problems at all. Maybe just beat up?

However, some older 88s (like mine) had a problem with the hammer getting hung up on the half cock notch so it wouldn't always fire. You might ask if he ever had this problem.
    You might also be able to test this by pulling back on the pump a little bit as you dry fire. It will go "click" but you'll be able to tell the hammer didn't actually smack the bolt/firing pin. Pull the trigger again and there will be a fainter "click" as the hammer releases all the way.

If this happens - frown and say, "I don't want to buy a gun that doesn't work. Well, I'll give you $25 and maybe I can find someone that knows how to fix these things..."

Buy it, go home, call Mossberg and they'll send you a new trigger pack (the newer ones don't have a half cock notch). It will then work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    It might have no problems at all. Maybe just beat up?

However, some older 88s (like mine) had a problem with the hammer getting hung up on the half cock notch so it wouldn't always fire. You might ask if he ever had this problem.
    You might also be able to test this by pulling back on the pump a little bit as you dry fire. It will go "click" but you'll be able to tell the hammer didn't actually smack the bolt/firing pin. Pull the trigger again and there will be a fainter "click" as the hammer releases all the way.

If this happens - frown and say, "I don't want to buy a gun that doesn't work. Well, I'll give you $25 and maybe I can find someone that knows how to fix these things..."

Buy it, go home, call Mossberg and they'll send you a new trigger pack (the newer ones don't have a half cock notch). It will then work fine.
    ^^Good info.

I had the same issue with my first one. To check for it dry fire the gun while putting backward pressure on the pump handle. If the issue is present the click will sound a little funny, even weak. To know for sure pull the trigger again without re-racking it or anything and the hammer will go the whole way. With mine I found that if I put forward pressure on the pump handle it never happened. I got used to it and shot it like that for a while. Eventually I sold it to a friend and got another one. This one is an even older one so we will see if the problem shows its face again. This time I think I'll call Mossberg if it does happen.

They're good guns. Basically a 500 with a different safety and a way cheaper price tag, especially if it's used.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast