Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 9mm lead round nose 125g with 700x

Need some help got a lyman and they don't list 125g bullets for 9mm and i'm not sure how much 700x powder to use? i'm thinking around 2.5 or somewhere but i really don't wanna guess with this kind of thing. Any help from u guys please? Well i went to the hodgdon site and it says use 2.9g to start with and 3.4g max. Now the question is. I have a lee loadmaster 9mm kit with the pro auto-disk powder measure. The disks have numbers on the but i don't think thats grains are they? I guess i use the chart i got with it. It says 700x with 2.8g is VDM .37 what is VDM? There is no 2.9g measure so should i jump up to 3.0g VDM .40?
    Last edited by Normlizer; July 9th, 2009 at 09:16 PM.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: 9mm lead round nose 125g with 700x

Quote Originally Posted by Normlizer View Post
    Need some help got a lyman and they don't list 125g bullets for 9mm and i'm not sure how much 700x powder to use? i'm thinking around 2.5 or somewhere but i really don't wanna guess with this kind of thing. Any help from u guys please? Well i went to the hodgdon site and it says use 2.9g to start with and 3.4g max. Now the question is. I have a lee loadmaster 9mm kit with the pro auto-disk powder measure. The disks have numbers on the but i don't think thats grains are they? I guess i use the chart i got with it. It says 700x with 2.8g is VDM .37 what is VDM? There is no 2.9g measure so should i jump up to 3.0g VDM .40?
    Hi, pal. It is just for avoiding this sort of head-banging, mind-disturbing calculations that I bought the best single accessory to that AutoDisc Powder measure that they make. Here I refer to the "Micrometer-adjuster".-

http://www.leeprecision.com/graphics/parts/2420.jpg
    http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...382.5148=90792

This makes setting your EXACT charge a breeze.

VDM???

"VMD" is Lee's "Volume Measuring Density" = "The volume of one grain of powder (expressed) in cubic centimeters".

Now, with the Lee discs as well as the dippers, each larger cavity is only (Per Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading") 7% larger in volume than the one below it.

Lee says "Multiply your charge in grains by the VMD to find the cubic centimeters of your charge. Use this to set your Lee Perfect Powder Measure . You may also use the closest smaller cavity Auto Disc or Powder Dipper" (emphasis mine)

VMD for 700-X is listed as 0.13430 (per the chart, or in the book. This is a constant reference number for each powder.)

So (700-X VMD)0.13430 x 2.8(grains) = 0.37604 (cubic centimeters of charge).

Therefore, the ".37" hole of the AutoDisc would be the appropriate start, throwing almost 2.8 grains. If you step up to the ".40" cavity, you would, at the most, be throwing a charge of only 2.996 gr, a 7% increase. ".43" will mean 3.205 grains.

Now, back to 700-X. A good powder choice, versatile and quite acceptable for just about EVERY possible common pistol caliber and bullet. There are functional loadings listed in the IMR book for multitudes of caliber/bullet combinations. The cavities in the Auto Disc are large enough that you should get acceptable results from 700-X, being a flake powder. Although ball powders do seem to meter a little more accurately at small amounts, moreso than flake or extruded powders. Incidentally, it is my only shotgun powder.

The IMR pamphlet does not have the cast lead 124 bullet, but it does list for the 124 "Metal Cased" : "4.8gr of 700-X, 1110 fps, 32,600CUP". That is a right good speed for a 124 Metal Cased bullet - a near-max load.

This data is not to be used interchangeably with cast lead, but it is reasonable to back down 5%-10% for starting loads. Then, look for pressure-signs, and measure velocity, if you can, and then go up from there, but not exceeding the top for the Metal Cased bullet.

My Speer #9 Book says 3.1 grains of 700-x gives 920 fps to the 124 gr LRN bullet, and 3.2 gives 977. Reasonable velocities, probably should function any average semiauto.

Lee says 4.3 to 4.8 for jacketed, so decreasing again by 10% for lead, the loads you are starting with should be quite reasonable.

Now, : Check weigh the starting load with an accurate scale if you can. (PM me on this, if you need a scale I keep a spare or two on hand - actually verifiable old-timers that I often use to check against my magnetic-damped Ohaus.) Make sure the measure is near enough.

And This, my friend, is what relaoding is all about. Enjoy.

Flash

I loaded 40rds but ran into some problems. I started with 10 primers in my hopper and about half the primers didn't feed into the the press into the bottom cases. I did another 10 and had the same problem. The 3rd time i stuck in 20 and the first 15 went fine then they didn't feed. Lost like 3 primers i check the primer tube and they werent in there shook it a little and couldn't find it so i check the bottom of the ram and they were in there with the spent primers. Is this common? Is there anyway to fix this? Im sure glad i got a bullet puller before i started starting to reload it sure comes in handy. Also i light is a real help over the powdered case to check powder levels. Had my first double feed with the press didn't advance.

(Lycoming County)

The Lee primer feeders operate much more reliably when filled at least half way. The weight of the primers makes them feed smoothly.
    Walt

(Chester County)

You should have a scale to measure the actual weight that the lee system throws. I had a pro 1000, and I always checked the actual powder weight the first few rounda to make sure it was throwing the correct weight.

i have a lee scale on order from cabelas but not sure when i'm gonna get it cuz its on order with some primers also

I got my scale. The disks i been using have been under powdering my loads i used the the 2.8gr and 3.0gr and i measured the 3.0gr and it comes to around 2.5gr on the scale so should i just shoot them or pull all the bullets out and use a higher disk to reload with?

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Normlizer View Post
    I got my scale. The disks i been using have been under powdering my loads i used the the 2.8gr and 3.0gr and i measured the 3.0gr and it comes to around 2.5gr on the scale so should i just shoot them or pull all the bullets out and use a higher disk to reload with?
    Go up one cavity at a time, and weigh the powder charge from each cavity. Then choose the cavity according to the scale weight you desire. Now that you have a scale, you have no more need to depend on Lee's VCD figures and charts.

As for pulling vs shooting, it would depend on your own level of tolerance. The 2.5 gr of 700-X WOULD fire, but I would susopect that they would NOT cycle the action on the Sig. The real question then is: "What is your tolerance for a magazine-fed single-shot pistol?"

If you only have a half-dozen, shoot em. If you have a gang of them, I'd pull them and reload to more conventional levels. No point in wasting a couple pounds of bullets.

Flash

i made 50 of each went a little crazy i might switch out the 2.8gr ones and just try the next step up from the 3.0gr. I hate 2 pull out 100 bullets cuz thats a pain in the butt with the hammer i got. Is there any other method of pulling bullets out besides the hammer type? The lee scale is nice but it takes awhile 2 calibrate and measure powder is there any cheap digital grain scales?

I bought an electric powder scale from MIdwayUSA for about 30.00. I always check the weight thrown every 10-20 rounds on pistol ammo.

ed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast