Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Talking U.S. Demand for Handguns Driving World Exports

GENEVA -- American demand for handguns has fueled a 28 percent jump this decade in world exports of pistols, rifles, shotguns and other small arms, a global report said Thursday.

The 2009 Small Arms Survey reported that the Untied States alone was responsible for about half of the worldwide increase in legal international gun sales between 2000 and 2006. The U.S. now accounts for over half of the world's imports of pistols and revolvers and 45 percent of shotguns, it said.

"No other country imports more than 4 percent of the global total," the 344-page report found.

It illustrated how U.S. purchases of hand guns - which averaged $173 million annually - have driven a sharp rise in exports from a number of countries.

Austria remained the world's largest seller of pistols and revolvers with a 25 percent jump since 2000. Seventy-five percent of its exports go to the United States. Croatian exports soared almost 24 times in value since the start of the decade. The U.S. accounted for 98 percent of its 2006 sales of $27 million.

Gunmakers in Brazil and Italy also have been helped by booming American demand for small arms.

"A country can become a major global player just by developing an export market in the United States," the report said.

The report, published by Geneva's Graduate Institute, uses customs data and other information supplied by 53 nations. It estimated legal trade in firearms at nearly $1.6 billion in 2006, with the actual value of all small arms, light weapons, parts, accessories and ammunition exceeding $4 billion.

"Current data shows that the global trade in small arms and light weapons is robust and even expanding, and handguns are driving it," said Keith Krause, the survey's director. "We don't know whether these weapons are destined for civilians, police or military forces."

The report found that trade in light military weapons has decreased by almost 30 percent over the same period. In that category, the U.S. dominates as the world's major supplier, with $228.5 million in exports. That amounts to 54 percent of the world total.

The study also examined the lasting effects of weapons trade on countries, even after armed conflicts end. It said disarmament, demobilization and reintegration strategies in Indonesia, Afghanistan, Lebanon and elsewhere have met with mixed success.

For some countries, accurate export information was particularly hard to obtain. The report said Switzerland, Britain, Germany, Netherlands, Serbia and the United States were among the more transparent nations. Iran, North Korea, South Africa, Russia, Israel and Taiwan were cited as the least transparent.

newsmaxl

(Pike County)

Default Re: U.S. Demand for Handguns Driving World Exports

Quote Originally Posted by ALS View Post
    (snip) ...the Untied States...
    Author's Freudian slip?

(Chester County)

Good! Keep em coming we are going to need them.

(Northumberland County)

mmm hmm... behind every blade of grass is a rifle, a hand gun, several thousands rounds of ammo, a shotgun.... maybe a back-up rifle or two
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    Good! Keep em coming we are going to need them.
    LOl, thats great , your right as well, we will need them very soon.....
    Gt

(Allegheny County)

My Beretta Px4 Storm was manufactured in Italy. My Springfield XD9-SC in Croatia.

Of the three guns I own, the only one made in the United States was my AR from Stag Arms in Connecticut.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    My Beretta Px4 Storm was manufactured in Italy. My Springfield XD9-SC in Croatia.

Of the three guns I own, the only one made in the United States was my AR from Stag Arms in Connecticut.
    Then you need a Colt 1911 just for patriotic sake.

(Chester County)

"There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?"

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by smithwessn View Post
    "There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?"
    Loved that movie.. Even though he was scum..

It's also a warning... When and if (and hopefully NOT) the day comes when the shit hits the fan and all our worse nightmares come true. We have to insure we don't step over the line and forget we are civilized people.

I'm not afraid of revolution. I'm afraid of it becoming total Chaos and losing our souls..

(Montgomery County)

it seems like even in this economy that guns are a growth industry. I still wonder why we don't have more american manufacturing here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast