Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Either my brain or my G2 is defective

I bought a SureFire e1e (executive) a while back, cos I wanted to see what the whole tactical flashlight thing was all about. Needless to say, I was impressed, and the mini maglite was relegated to pocket basher duty at work, as I get filthy and lose/break things a lot.

Then I figured I wanted a bigger, brighter surefire, so I bought a G2 (nitrolon). I opened it up in the car and started futzing with it, and am mildly dismayed to see that the switches on the e1e and the g2 are very different.

On the e1e, the pushbutton does all the flashing and constant on stuff depending on how deep you press it, and the lockout tailcap does just that - locks out the switch by backing it off the battery. On the g2, the constant on is also the lockout tailcap depending on how much you turn it, and the momentary on funciton is made to happen by unscrewing the tailcap until the light is off, and the pushbutton switch just smashes the rear spring into the battery. At least, that's how it works on mine.

Is my G2 defective, or am I?

Oh, also, if I *am* defective, what other lights do they make with the e1e style switch?

(no, my g2 is not for sale)
    --Jordan K
    Nurse Aide, Havertonian, Student, Heavy Lifter

"Proper gun safety starts by being completely unwilling to do stupid sh.t for the lulz." --anonymous, 4chan.org

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Either my brain or my G2 is defective

You can get a Z69 tailcap from surefire that will make it a clicky type for the G2.

The original Surefires had the twist for constant on feature.

(Delaware County)

Jmateer - thanks.

so do the new G2's have the twisty type cap still, or did i just find an old one on the shelf?
    --Jordan K
    Nurse Aide, Havertonian, Student, Heavy Lifter

"Proper gun safety starts by being completely unwilling to do stupid sh.t for the lulz." --anonymous, 4chan.org

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

I think the G2's, being relatively new, always had the "twist for constant/press for momentary flash" switch.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/.../878/sesent/00

The click-on (light-pressure for momentary, full pressure for all on, twist to lock off,) costs $38.00 MSRP, according to Surefire.

I know that Sportsman's Warehouse had their own line of Surefire knock-offs that were cheaper and had a click for constant-on (no twist) cap. The lightbulbs, filters, etc. were all compatible with Surefire products. Unfortunately, they sold out at the one in Pittsburgh, with no idea of when they'll re-stock. I bought one but ended up giving it to my fiancee and replacing it with a Surefire. They didn't seem to be quite as solidly constructed as the surefire (the batteries kind of rattled around a little,) but good enough for the price. The light quality/duration was the same (they were basically the equivalent of the Surefire "original" 6P: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/.../889/sesent/00)

Cabela's I think also has their own line of Surefire knock-offs, but I'm not sure if they're interchangeable like Sportsman's Warehouse was. (I bought what I THOUGHT was a Surefire-compatible one from Target for $20.00, but it was NOT compatible, and the light was nowhere near as bright.)

IMHO, it's probably better to just buy another flashlight than spend $38.00 on a click-on cap, if you really can't stand the way the G2 is setup.
    Last edited by Johannes_Paulsen; May 31st, 2007 at 10:09 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeyhoagie View Post
    Jmateer - thanks.

so do the new G2's have the twisty type cap still, or did i just find an old one on the shelf?

They still have the twist for constant on caps.

(Allegheny County)

I actually like the twist-constant on better because I've had alot of bad luck with the clicky caps. The clickey cap on my 6P defender broke after 7 hours of having the light, and the one on my E series light broke after a while. With the twist-constant on ones, you don;t have tow orry about it breaking because all you have to do if the switch breaks for the temporary setting, is to twist the cap adn the light is on.