Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Do you pee in the pool?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

14 20.59%
  • Sometimes

16 23.53%
  • Never

28 41.18%
  • I'm not telling...

10 14.71%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Do you pee in the pool?

Just read this article this morning so it made me wonder. We've been going swimming pretty much every day the last few weeks and it certainly is disturbing!

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/...1009&GT1=31034

Peeing in The Public Pool: One In Five People Do It
    A new survey reveals that pool-peeing is uncomfortably common, but you can take steps to protect yourself.
    By Megan O'Neill, Rodale.com

Public pools across the country are open for the summer season, but a recent survey could make you think twice about jumping in. According to the poll, almost half of swimmers admit to one or more behaviors that contribute to an unsanitary pool. And you've probably suspected as much, since the poll also shows 84 percent of us believe our fellow swimmers participate in unhygienic pool behavior.

THE DETAILS: The poll of 1,000 adults was conducted in late April and early May of this year by the Water Quality and Health Council, a body of scientific and other experts who advise the American Chemistry Council, an industry trade association. One in five respondents (17 percent) admitted to urinating in the pool, while almost eight in ten (78 percent) are convinced that their fellow swimmers are guilty of this act. Plus, about a third (35 percent) jump in without showering first, and three-quarters (73 percent) think other swimmers do the same. Even though most people seem wary of the hygienic standards of the swimmers around them, only 36 percent say that pool water cleanliness is on their mind when they take the plunge.

WHAT IT MEANS: Besides being just plain gross, filthy pool practices can lead to unsafe swimming conditions. Urine—as well as sweat and even sunscreen—contain nitrogen, which eats up a pool's free chlorine. Free chlorine is what kills waterborne germs that could make you sick if ingested. So if too many people are peeing in the pool or diving in while sweaty, that could mean less chlorine's available to wipe out nasty critters.

Even when chlorine levels are at proper levels, some illness-causing organisms can survive. For example, about two-thirds of all recreational water illnesses (or RWIs) are caused by Cryptosporidium, a chlorine-resistant microorganism that causes diarrhea. "Crypto can survive for as many as 10 days, even in a well-maintained pool," says Michele Hlavas, epidemiologist in the Division of Parasitic Diseases for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Which is why swimmers need to take on some of the responsibility for maintaining the safety of their pools. "Pool operators can't do it all by themselves, as it's the swimmers who bring the parasites into the water," says Hlavas. "Swimmers have to get invested in keeping their pool clean and keeping themselves healthy."

Here are a few tips to help you protect yourself, and other swimmers, from pool-related illness:

Don't swim if you have diarrhea.

It sounds like common sense, but it bears repeating. And don't send your kids to the pool if they've been having stomach problems.

Get to know your pool operator.

Showing you care about pool cleanliness can ensure that certain standards are met. Ask pool management about the training employees receive to operate and keep the pool clean, and how often they check the chlorine and pH levels of the water (both should be checked at least twice per day, more often on crowded days). You can also ask about how they fared on the most recent inspection, and how they're correcting any problems that were uncovered.

Test the water yourself.

Inspectors aren't on site every day, so what's happening when they aren't around? To find out, the CDC recommends purchasing easy-to-use testing strips at a local hardware or pool supply store, and measuring the pH and chlorine levels before swimming. The pH should be between 7.2 and 7.8, and there should be 1 to 3 parts per million of free chlorine in the water, according to CDC standards.

Don't swallow pool water.

Don't even swish it around in your mouth! You don't have to swallow large amounts of contaminated water to get sick.

Shower before swimming.

Shower with soap and water before entering the pool so you don't bring anything unhealthy in to the water. Don't think you need to? Consider this fun fact: The average person has about 0.14 grams of feces on their bottom! Parents should also wash their children before swimming.

Check diapers often.

And make sure older children take regular bathroom breaks when swimming. It's also important to change diapers in the bathroom, or other designated changing areas, and never on the pool deck or anywhere near the water.

Know the signs of a clean pool.

These include clear water, smooth pool sides (no sticky or slippery tiles), and no strong odors. A well-maintained pool should have little smell of chlorine, as a strong chemical smell can actually indicate a maintenance problem. You should also be able to hear the sounds of properly functioning pool equipment, such as pumps and filtration systems.

We swim at the Y and it's a rule that you have to shower before getting in the pool. I've heard the lifeguard tell people to go back in the locker room and shower so I guess they really do try to enforce it but I'm sure there are times it goes unnoticed. UGH!
    Last edited by shefearsnothing; July 9th, 2009 at 09:56 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Do you pee in the pool?

no 1 in 5 will ADMIT it, there is no way in hell the number is that low, especially with all the kids.

Just watch how often people get out to go to the bathroom... not many :P
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Perry County)

Not since I was a kid.

I had a friend who was a scuba diver. He told me that he would pee in his wet suit when he got cold.

Shower before swimming.

How many pee in the shower?

(Philadelphia County)

No friggin way would I pee in a pool. I know I did when I was a kid, but for adult to do it is just plain lazy and nasty..

I do pee in the shower though..
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Philadelphia County)

Peeing in the shower is expected. I only pee in a hot tub...cold pools aren't conducive to urination.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I had a friend who was a scuba diver. He told me that he would pee in his wet suit when he got cold.

Gross as it sounds - its common and it works! Or so I've heard......

(Monroe County)

Does Peeing from the Diving board count

(Lancaster County)

Use to pee in wetsuit all the time. Not only does it keep you warm but have you ever tried to get in and out of those things wet ? LOL. My dad and I use to catch tropical fish for home. He swore pee would attract them to you , lol.
    No longer posting

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    Use to pee in wetsuit all the time. Not only does it keep you warm but have you ever tried to get in and out of those things wet ? LOL. My dad and I use to catch tropical fish for home. He swore pee would attract them to you , lol.
    Does that mean if everyone pees in the pool it will be populated with tropical fish? That sounds lovely.

(Montgomery County)

"It's no big deal"... it could be worse.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast