Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default GI contract mags question

Ok i have some center industries mags they came in us gov contract bags and have CENTER INDS. WICHITA KANS. on the floor plate,I have been seeing a bunch of these mags at gun shows in the gov. contract bags but no manufacturing name on the floor plate, my question is are they bootleg clones or do the companies make some with no name on the floor plate? they look the same in all respects, the date the same color,flat gray painted aluminum,with green followers and they go for about $10 each,any input would be great....thanks fred
    "If your not prepaired to go all the way,than your not prepaired to go anywhere! " James yeager 1/9/13

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: GI contract mags question

and this would be pertaining to what rifle?
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Monroe County)

oh sorry i thought center industries of wichata Ka. only made AR-15 M-16 mags. so AR-15 M-16 mags is what i am talking about.
    "If your not prepaired to go all the way,than your not prepaired to go anywhere! " James yeager 1/9/13

(York County)

I never had any issues with ANY mags I used in my AR's, and I've used some pretty beat to hell GI mags. I think you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by freddy g View Post
    Ok i have some center industries mags they came in us gov contract bags and have CENTER INDS. WICHITA KANS. on the floor plate,I have been seeing a bunch of these mags at gun shows in the gov. contract bags but no manufacturing name on the floor plate, my question is are they bootleg clones or do the companies make some with no name on the floor plate? they look the same in all respects, the date the same color,flat gray painted aluminum,with green followers and they go for about $10 each,any input would be great....thanks fred
    I have a several but mine have the name on the floor plates also they were originally ordered by our gov. If I'm not mistaken as far back as Vietnam...I could be wrong the memory is not as good as it once was..
    Last edited by Ronnies111; April 14th, 2010 at 08:02 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Monroe County)

I have read that some non gov. contractor sellers remove the colt,center ind,etc.etc floor and add there floor plate,but the mags i have been seeing at the gun shows are vertualy identical to all my USGI mags including the plastic bags,last show a bought 2 @ $9 each and they work great and look good too.

I still think they are some type of knock off's.

(York County)

Yup, they're pretty much the same. Last gun show here I got 5 for $7.50 each.... should have bought 10 at that price.

If you plan on abusing you're mags a lot, I'd recomend getting some Magpul PMags. You can even run over them in a truck and they will still work.

You can also get the GI mags with anti-tilt followers for a few dollars more, but I've never had a problem with the green followers.

(York County)

+1 for PMags. I have abused them to great lengths and never had a problem with them whatsoever.

If you are intent on using GI mags I would strongly suggest the anti-tilt followers, if for nothing else than ease of loading since the GI followers tend to stick when loading. I have had feed problems from abused GI mags with the GI followers, so speaking from personal experience I would at least invest in some followers.

That being said, I bought a basic load of PMags and haven't had any reason to buy more or replace them since I have had no issues with them. Their easy breakdown for cleaning and ability to handle severe abuse (dust, dirt, impact) with no issues makes them my most highly recommended accessory you can buy.