Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Best gas piston assault rifle?

I'm curious what the opinions are here on the PFOA forum. XCR, AK, FAL, SIG556, AR-piston, Kel-Tec, wait for the SCAR. What is your preference and why?

Also, what caliber would you prefer? I love what I've read about the 6.5 Grendel but I don't want to deal with a DI AR-15 and no other formats are offering 6.5 Grendel at the moment...that I know of.

(This thread is not intended to cause an argument that DI is good or bad so lets just make it a non-issue. DI AR-15's do not exist on this thread.)

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Best gas piston assault rifle?

Of the rifles you mentioned the FAL seems to be the best piston rod platform to me. It combines a great balance of accuracy, dependability and featues.

The 308 caliber is tough to beat for accuracy, distance, power, ammo cost and ammo availability.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

My future plans are to equip one of my AR's with the GSR-35 kit from Ares Defense. This converts a regular AR to a gas piston for less money than other options. I am looking forward to the reduction in cleaning time when I fire the AR. There are other options, but they start at about $1000. I have heard good things about the ZM Weapons LR-300 which has a folding stock and the HK416. I like the Robinson XCR, but it is hard to find and expensive. I will not shell out the cash to own one until I get to feel one. Their specs look good.

As for caliber, I am sticking with 5.56mm. 6.8 mm SPC looks interesting, and someday I might get an upper for it. The 6.5mm MPC also looked interesting, but is not likely to catch on in wide numbers.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by VeryPrivate View Post
    My future plans are to equip one of my AR's with the GSR-35 kit from Ares Defense. This converts a regular AR to a gas piston for less money than other options. I am looking forward to the reduction in cleaning time when I fire the AR. There are other options, but they start at about $1000. I have heard good things about the ZM Weapons LR-300 which has a folding stock and the HK416. I like the Robinson XCR, but it is hard to find and expensive. I will not shell out the cash to own one until I get to feel one. Their specs look good.
    I feel the same about the XCR. I love the ease of takedown/barrel replacement but you just have to get one in your hands before making that jump. Are they accurate as the AR? Also, the SCAR and Magpul Masada look intersting enough to wait it out but the Dems will be in office right about when the SCAR is going to be available...unless we all support Ron Paul successfully.

(York County)

Remember, Folks...the rifles we discuss here are sporting rifles with detachable magazine..."assault rifles" are selective fire or full automative fire.

(Jefferson County)

It depends on your criteria as to what you'd consider best. Me, I'd choice two: an Krink 7.62x39 for close quarters and a FAL 7.62 NATO for fields & such.

If you want something that takes abuse and good for close quarter engagements - the AK is the one. I've seen them work in some of the harshest conditions, hot/cold/muddy/sandy, and none failed to go bang. They aren't quite as accurate as some of the other battle rifles though, but if properly sighted they can do what you need them to do.

If you want +150yrd accuracy, well the above would probably come in last. The AR's are a lot more accurate, but cant take the harsh conditions that the AK or some other rifles can. I'm not too keen on the 233/5.56 cartridge for anything more than rodents - it has worked for the last 40 years.

FAL in 7.62 NATO has performed quite well for many countries in many conditions. The 7.62(308 Win) has a lot more power than the 5.56 or the 7.62x39 cartridges. The rifle overall can be quite accurate as well.

For clarity: in saying "engagements" = I mean paper targets, or self defensive situations(for the Politically Correct Police)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Remember, Folks...the rifles we discuss here are sporting rifles with detachable magazine..."assault rifles" are selective fire or full automative fire.
    Did I say "assault rfile"? I meant to say "Best gas piston sporting rifle with detachable magazine."

The problem as I see it with the FAL is it's huge and not such a good choice if one must clear rooms. Not to mention that you won't have any hearing firing a .308 indoors.

The XCR seems to be a nice choice if one wanted to buy a complete package.

I was in Seneca Arms today and someone brought in a Sig 556. I wasn't impressed with it at all. I definately like AR15 platforms over the Sig 556. I also dislike the large price tag on the Sig 556. Considering, you can buy two complete AR15s for the price of the Sig 556.

Those Ares kits seem to be the ticket for those that already have AR15s and they don't want to spend the $1k on a piston upper. I've seen mostly good reviews on them, but some have had their problems. I'll wait til all the bugs are worked out before I consder an Ares kit. I also dislike the plastic hanguards, so when the FF forends are available...I will probably buy one.

I would go 6.5 Grendel over the 6.8 SPC because the SPC does not offer a wide variety of bullet weights. The Grendel offers better bullet selections even though AA is a pain to deal with. I'd get a 6.5 Sabre Defence upper because SD is the cat's meow.

Holleta...I just noticed that your age now says 40...dude you are about to take the dirt nap soon. LOL

(Luzerne County)

Gee.....thanks for noticing Aub. Thanks for the "words of encouragement too"......I guess that's what friends are for??

+1 for Aubs comments on the piston AR kits, if it ain't broke (though many will attempt to tell you that it is) why fix it? I have really come to appreciate USGI firearms for their design elements and accuracy, when they start using a piston upper I will consider what they are using. Until then....all my "dirty" gas blowback ARs work quite well thank you very much.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast