Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default what do you guys think?

A friend of my dads is selling a remington 700 adl .308 with a 6x weaver scope. Hes looking to get 600 for it. i cant find any adls for sale so i dont know how good of a deal this is.

Default Re: what do you guys think?

ADL's are cheaper and typically cost $600 new, so I wouldn't say it's a great deal. I'm not a fan of Weaver optics as well. So I say if you want it, get it, but it doesn't seem like a super deal to me.

(Berks County)

Welcome to the PAFOA!

$500 or there about for a used 700 ADL (average). A 6x Weaver scope...not knowing the exact model, I will assume a K-6, not too bad for a cheaper scope, new they are around $150.

I have an older Weaver K-4 on a .243, I like it and it has held up well over the years.

Depending on the rifles condition and the actual model of scope, and any other accessories/ammo he has for it, $600 might be within reason for a price.
    Last edited by 762xIan; April 10th, 2010 at 03:17 PM.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Somerset County)

I'd say it's a decent price but certainly not a smoking hot deal. What's the condition of the gun? Wood or synthetic stock? How old is the scope? If it's an older Weaver, and fogs up, there is no warranty. There are some scope repair services that will fix it but it'll run you few bucks.

If you shop around and catch some sales, you could put together a new rifle and scope for less.

See if he'll cut the price a bit or throw in some ammo or something.

Dale

the guns in good shape. black synthetic stock. the scope is i believe 2 years old not too sure on the model. im gonna check the gun out in the next few days. i was just told these facts from the guy. i know its a fixed 6x weaver. and he said he will include some .308 ammo but there cheap enough where it wouldnt make the deal

bump... im still on the fence with this gun

Quote Originally Posted by kawa125racer View Post
    bump... im still on the fence with this gun
    I don't think that's a good price at all. Old ADL's were quality made pieces, with not as high quality wood, but still nice bluing and good rifles. ALL of the old ADL rifles were WOOD stocks. Remington ADL's were discontinued and didn't show up again until recently. There have been a few stores like Dick's, Big 5, etc, who got Remington to start making "ADL's" with synthetic stocks. These are "new" ADL's, and come with flimsy stocks, and not as good of a finish as the old ADL's. Lots of people were buying new ADL's with a "Remington" scope on it for like $450 or $500. So this doesn't sound like a deal at all to me, it's a cheap new ADL with a Weaver on it. I wouldn't touch this transaction with a 10 ft. pole, mainly because I think it's bordering closer to you getting messed around than "not a good deal".

I've seen people on this forum and lots of places selling SPS Tactical rifles (which are BDL) for $550 without a scope. The fact that you have a drop plate, and a heavy barrel makes it worth more than that ADL. I'd ask them what they want for just the rifle (without the scope). It'll help give yo uan idea of what they consider the rifle to be worth, and what the scope to be worth. Weavers aren't bad scopes, but they dang sure aren't what they used to be. Even the old ones aren't "super scopes" like they used to be, because technology has allowed us to produce great glass for cheaper, with lots of other features. For the $150 that they may or may not think this scope is worth (number suggested by some others in this thread), there's some pretty good scopes for around that or not much more. The new Redfield scopes that Leupold is making are a pretty good bargain, as is pitching in a little money and going with a Nikon Buckmaster or Bushnell Elite 3200. You can do what you want on this, but I'd DEFINITELY pass on the "NEW ADL".

(Somerset County)

I just got a Cabelas flyer, they have a an ADL scoped combo for $570 that includes a hard a case and a SS barrel. They also have a Stevens scoped combo for $370

So I would definitely pass on the used rifle, especially since it's not the older wood model.

http://cabelasflyers.dirxion.com/1hg...Code=1hg10flx#

Dale