Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Best gas piston assault rifle?

A few years back I fired a 10.5 H&K416 and it was great and I really liked the piston advantages!

So I know have two LWRC piston uppers, a M6a1 CQB 10.5 (SBR) and a M6 16 and they run great with or without the supressor.

(Northampton County)

Does anyone here have to similar rifles one being DI the other being GP? IF so can you attest to the claim that GP are less accurate?

I can't see there being that large of a concern seeing my PLT SGT used a GP M -14 to shoot 1000 yard Camp Perry matches.

M-1, M-14, Heck the M 240 B are GP and are all very accurate, and on is a machine gun.

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: Best gas piston assault rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by 68FBJJZ109 View Post
    Does anyone here have to similar rifles one being DI the other being GP? IF so can you attest to the claim that GP are less accurate?
    As an engineering principle, accuracy is related to reproducibility of the environment for each shot. That roughly means that all stationary parts are in the same place relative to each other as they were on the previous shots, and that all moving parts move the same way over each shot. This includes all parts of the rifle, the ammunition, and the way the user handles the rifle.

Based on that basic concept, you would have a hard time convincing me that accuracy has anything at all to do with direct impingement vs. gas piston, but instead, is related to the consistent behavior of that particular design and the manufacturing characteristics of each individual part a rifle.
    Fred

(York County)

I don't think the accuracy has anything to do with the GP or DI systems at all. Both systems allow burnt gases to escape through an orfice in the barrel. One allows the gases to expel the spent case and reload a fresh round the other uses the gas to push a piston attached to a rod that starts the cycling action. Either way the bullet still leaves the barrel before the action cycles.

sid

Quote Originally Posted by 68FBJJZ109 View Post
    I am currently in Iraq now, and PA was nice enough to issuse me a Brand New Colt M4, with a Comp4 Aim point. Fortunately I havent had to use it in combat yet, but on the range, and in training the weapon jams far more then I am comfortable with and that is not in a combat situation. It has also had two class three stoppages in training. This is worries me because I keep the rifle very clean, and it still fails.

Alot of people here have mixed feelings about the rifle, some truely believe its a world class battle rifle(carbine). Others feel it is time to move on.

My friend here in country with me has a 5.56 16.5 LWRC Gas Piston and that carbine is amazing. Runs very cool and clean, the rifle is also very accurate, though we noramlly use handloads. I feel its a more suitable canidate for a battle rifle then our current platform.
    I had both of my LWRC rifles out to the range yesterday just to run a few rounds through them, and check function and bench accuracy with 4 different types of factory ammo, (Federal XM-193 Ball, Federal American Eagle, Fiocchi .223 Ball, and Remington UMC 55 gr. FMJ), and several different handloads I've assembled. Both guns digested everything without a hitch. I used 4 different magazines, (C-Products, Magpul P-Mags, Tapco, and DH), everyone of them ran well in both rifles. What impressed me the most is not only the accuracy of these weapons, but how cool and clean they run compared to D.I. guns. There was little to no cleaning to speak of. Granted I only ran around 160 rounds through each rifle, but it was amazing how completely free the guns were of all the dirt and crap you get with a D.I. weapon.

I can see why piston guns are catching on the way they are, and why LWRC weapons are hard to get. I was a naysayer when these things first started to appear as well. Now, after buying and shooting 2 of them, even just the limited amount I have, the reason for the popularity is totally obvious. The only downside I had the whole day was having to leave!

Too bad about the problems you've had with the Colt. That is NOT something a man in combat should have to deal with. Bill T.

OUt of Everything I've toyed with I think Beretta's AR-70 is one of the most solid made Gas piston setups.

(Philadelphia County)

I have a few Gas Piston Systems and I love them.

1. HK 416 10.5" SBR
    2. LWRC M6A2 10.5" SBR
    3. SIG 556

It is Gas Piston all the way for me!
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

I just ordered 5 standard black P-Mags, (sales limit of 5 per customer order), from Midway for $12.87 each with C&R Dealer discount. With the limit of 5 they should have them in stock for a while. Not a bad price considering a local shop here sells them for $26.00 each. Bill T.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    I just ordered 5 standard black P-Mags, (sales limit of 5 per customer order), from Midway for $12.87 each with C&R Dealer discount. With the limit of 5 they should have them in stock for a while. Not a bad price considering a local shop here sells them for $26.00 each. Bill T.
    That is a great price with the discount.

I just received 10 black P-mags that I ordered from Aimsurplus about 5 months ago for $14.20 each. Still a really good price for today's market.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

Quote Originally Posted by RONNIE77 View Post
    That is a great price with the discount.

I just received 10 black P-mags that I ordered from Aimsurplus about 5 months ago for $14.20 each. Still a really good price for today's market.
    For people who do not yet know, a C&R, (Curio & Relic), License is the best kept secret in shooting. It is similar to an FFL, but without all of the hassle. It only costs $30.00 for 3 years, and is available to anyone who can legally own a firearm. It gets you dealer discounts at many shooting and reloading outlets like Midway. The discounts are very substantial. On Leupold scopes for example, you cannot beat Midways price with a C&R discount. All that is required is for you to mail a copy, (a signed fax copy is also now legal), to the store you wish to engage in business, just like a regular FFL.

Another thing many people don't know is there are a lot of modern firearms on the ATF Curio & Relic list.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/2001index.htm

This is the list. Many firearms on it may surprise you. The ATF has all the forms you need for downloading on their website, along with a lot of FAQ and answers. I saved enough to cover the cost of the license itself on my first order from Midway. Bill T.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast