Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Best gas piston assault rifle?

I am currently in Iraq now, and PA was nice enough to issuse me a Brand New Colt M4, with a Comp4 Aim point. Fortunately I havent had to use it in combat yet, but on the range, and in training the weapon jams far more then I am comfortable with and that is not in a combat situation. It has also had two class three stoppages in training. This is worries me because I keep the rifle very clean, and it still fails.

Alot of people here have mixed feelings about the rifle, some truely believe its a world class battle rifle(carbine). Others feel it is time to move on.

My friend here in country with me has a 5.56 16.5 LWRC Gas Piston and that carbine is amazing. Runs very cool and clean, the rifle is also very accurate, though we noramlly use handloads. I feel its a more suitable canidate for a battle rifle then our current platform.

After ressearching options We are both in the planning and acquiring phases of building 6.5 Grendel Gas Pistion Rifles and carbines, though every aspect of our build will be expensive.

We just feel that combination is the best for a AR platform.
    Last edited by 68FBJJZ109; April 6th, 2009 at 05:03 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 68FBJJZ109 View Post
    My friend here in country with me has a 5.56 16.5 LWRC Gas Piston and that carbine is amazing. Runs very cool and clean, the rifle is also very accurate, though we noramlly use handloads. I feel its a more suitable canidate for a battle rifle then our current platform.

I just finished running 700 round through my new LWRC in less then a month and I have only cleaned the piston system once. It's an amazing rifle, not too impressed with the stock trigger and the 14.5 seems to have a bit of muzzle lift.

I highly recommend LWRC if your looking for a 5.56 Piston rifle.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 68FBJJZ109 View Post
    I am currently in Iraq now, and PA was nice enough to issuse me a Brand New Colt M4, with a Comp4 Aim point. Fortunately I havent had to use it in combat yet, but on the range, and in training the weapon jams far more then I am comfortable with and that is not in a combat situation. It has also had two class three stoppages in training. This is worries me because I keep the rifle very clean, and it still fails.

Alot of people here have mixed feelings about the rifle, some truely believe its a world class battle rifle(carbine). Others feel it is time to move on.

<SNIP!!!!!>
    A Colt M4 that jammed?????????????

LIAR! LIAR! LIAR! PANTS ON FIRE!

(/drum roll on) The ************Chart********** (/drum roll off) over on M4rgery.net sez that we all have vaginas and are lesbos if we don't own a Colt as they are the bestesses aluminumb rifles on the planet!

You MUST BE LYING!!
    The (/drum roll on) The ************Chart********** (/drum roll off)
    never is wrong!

sarcasm over.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jlaughl View Post
    I just finished running 700 round through my new LWRC in less then a month and I have only cleaned the piston system once. It's an amazing rifle, not too impressed with the stock trigger and the 14.5 seems to have a bit of muzzle lift.

I highly recommend LWRC if your looking for a 5.56 Piston rifle.
    If I remember correctly my buddy has an after market trigger, I didn't notice any increased muzzle lift or felt recoil when I shot his. He does very well with the rifle in Tactical Comps. Its a great gun but I am going to build mine piece by piece since no company offers what I am looking for.

(Allegheny County)

I have a POF P-415. I've put 300 rounds through it in one session. It was glorious. It's the only AR-15 that I've ever fired, so I have no real objective feedback to give you.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtime8922 View Post
    I'm curious what the opinions are here on the PFOA forum. XCR, AK, FAL, SIG556, AR-piston, Kel-Tec, wait for the SCAR. What is your preference and why?

Also, what caliber would you prefer? I love what I've read about the 6.5 Grendel but I don't want to deal with a DI AR-15 and no other formats are offering 6.5 Grendel at the moment...that I know of.

(This thread is not intended to cause an argument that DI is good or bad so lets just make it a non-issue. DI AR-15's do not exist on this thread.)
    http://www.pof-usa.com/gallery/gallery.htm

This pic is 100% evidence of the quality of Patriot Ordnance Rifles. & their piston system
    Any of you who know of Ted also knows if there were anything & I strongly state..Anything, Ted would tell you. If fact he would tell the world & there would be nothing anyone could do to Stop him.

Ted is a Man's Man & no one or nothing could be done do to silence him. And if Ted for some reason think's you suck there would nothing anyone could do to Stop him. And in classic Ted style he will tell you.... you suck on National Television. The man ain't shy.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; April 6th, 2009 at 07:28 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Northampton County)

Originally Posted by ragtime8922
    I'm curious what the opinions are here on the PFOA forum. XCR, AK, FAL, SIG556, AR-piston, Kel-Tec, wait for the SCAR. What is your preference and why?

Also, what caliber would you prefer? I love what I've read about the 6.5 Grendel but I don't want to deal with a DI AR-15 and no other formats are offering 6.5 Grendel at the moment...that I know of.

(This thread is not intended to cause an argument that DI is good or bad so lets just make it a non-issue. DI AR-15's do not exist on this thread.)

Alexander arms now offers a very nice set up. Gas Piston 6.5 Grendel with Vltor Monolithic Upper and a PWS Gas Piston. I am considering this Upper myself though I might buld more of a SDM setup with a Mini gas black with a Osprey Gas Piston so the whole system is under the Vltor rail system.
    [IMG]http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...ander-arms.gif[/IMG]
    http://alexanderarms.com/siteshopper...at=15&item=126
    Last edited by 68FBJJZ109; April 7th, 2009 at 03:21 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

I am very much into my Gas Piston System rifles..

I have a SIG556, and an LWRC M6A2 10.5" (SBR), and I love them both..
    The SIG is much heavier, but I like the feel. My LWRC is my absolute favorite rifle, I shoot the hell out of it, and it has not let me down.. Cleaning is minimal, and it is very smooth.

My friend has an HK 416 upper on his, and that thing is amazing.

As far as a good gas piston system AR's:
    LMT, LWRC or a HK416 upper.
    I don't have any experience with POF, so I can't recommend.
    Last edited by RONNIE77; April 14th, 2009 at 08:53 AM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

Well being the proud owner of both a Stoner design DPMS M4 and a Sig 556, I gotta say the Sig is a superior platform . Yes it is heaver, but Dam... it eats everything and It has a folding stock. Don't get me wrong I really like my AR. but with ammo being what it is now days, If I absolutely positively have to put a round down range I'm grabbing the SIG... Not to mention I can put 500 rounds through it and at the end of the day when I'm cleaning it, It just doesn't get dirty, I mean I gotta break out the tooth brush and picks when I run the AR hard but the sig doesn't have the build up problems the AR does.

Just my 2 cents.

I've gotten tired of hearing about clean well kept M16's are still malfunctioning from soldiers. It shouldn't be happening.

I just ordered one of these for my Colt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWN-x2wbsLw

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast