Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Best gas piston assault rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by ragtime8922 View Post
    Did I say "assault rfile"? I meant to say "Best gas piston sporting rifle with detachable magazine."

The first one I thought of was an M-1 garand. but it dosen't fit the bill, Opps.

(Westmoreland County)

I'm curious what the opinions are here on the PFOA forum. XCR, AK, FAL, SIG556, AR-piston, Kel-Tec, wait for the SCAR. What is your preference and why?
    The XCR has already had a recall on some or another issue and an instructor I know had one go down in one of his classes.

The AK design has had enough mileage (years in service) that it's system is proven. So too the FAL but as aubie noted, it's large, cumbersome and heavy.

The SIG556 is an abortion compared to the original .mil variant and nothing more than a glorified AK. Ergonomics are better than an AK but nowhere near the AR15.

None of the AR piston designs are proven as there are not enough of them in circulation to generate a meaningful database pro or con. Feedback from other instructors indicates not many make it through three day carbine classes and that speaks volumes.

Kel-Tec? SU series? Not a robust weapon.

SCAR? Don't hold your breath waiting for a commercial release because that hinges on the military adopting it as std. issue and that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.

Also, what caliber would you prefer? I love what I've read about the 6.5 Grendel but I don't want to deal with a DI AR-15 and no other formats are offering 6.5 Grendel at the moment...that I know of.
    Both the 6.5 and 6.8 have superior ballistics over the 5.56 but ammo will cost you a kings ransom.

DI AR-15's do not exist on this thread.)
    Like it or not a DI AR15 in 5.56 is still the most reliable and viable option in the AR platform. I don't mean to rain on your parade but the facts are what they are. I think it's premature to commit to either the 6.5 or 6.8 unless you have some specialized need. I feel the same about piston AR15's.

(Berks County)

I am a FAL guy (and a .30 cal fan)...and a big guy...no problems with the size or weight issue with it on my end. Though a full combat load out will be a pain in the ass...hell our grandpa's did it with Garands and BAR's and some lucky shlub had to tote a 1919.

Good thing about the many FAL variants is you can "build to suit" your purpose. Is the over all length and weight an issue? Get one with a shorter barrel, no bipod and some of the newer after market stocks are nice and pretty light.

If you really want to shorten it (and money is no option) the para's with the folding stocks are the cats ass.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

What else? ask any Nam combat vet. The sound of AK-47 fire and rounds landing all around ya ain't no party, he he heh..........

1FingrCHan

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    The problem as I see it with the FAL is it's huge and not such a good choice if one must clear rooms. Not to mention that you won't have any hearing firing a .308 indoors.
    noise bother you try the 300 whisper ar upper that would get my vote so would the p90 but alas not piston driven
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(Montgomery County)

Alexander Arms does sell complete packages I belive. I know for a fact they do for 50 Beowulf so I'm sure they do 6.8 as well.

It's not a Bushmaster but its not a DIY.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by netw0rkpenguin View Post
    Alexander Arms does sell complete packages I belive. I know for a fact they do for 50 Beowulf so I'm sure they do 6.8 as well.

It's not a Bushmaster but its not a DIY.
    I think you meant 6.5 Grendel. Alexander Arms makes them exclusively. They created it. The 6.5 Grendel is a far better round then the 6.8 SPC. The 6.5G has a ridiculous long range ability as well as great short range take down power.

Check it out:
    http://www.65grendel.com/

The 50 Beowolf is nice if you want to eliminate typical defenses of an enemy like hiding behind pretty much anything or wearing body armor. As an added bonus it goes through engine blocks to stop vehicles. It's strictly short range.

http://www.alexanderarms.com/

(Montgomery County)

I think you meant 6.5 Grendel. Alexander Arms makes them exclusively. They created it. The 6.5 Grendel is a far better round then the 6.8 SPC. The 6.5G has a ridiculous long range ability as well as great short range take down power.

Check it out:
    http://www.65grendel.com/

The 50 Beowolf is nice if you want to eliminate typical defenses of an enemy like hiding behind pretty much anything or wearing body armor. As an added bonus it goes through engine blocks to stop vehicles. It's strictly short range.

http://www.alexanderarms.com/
    You are absolutely correct. I confused the the 2 rounds. The 6.5 Grendel has had a lot of press lately and I assumed thats what he wanted.

At close ranges 50 bewoulf turns what is typically effective cover into concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by toadyoforangeville View Post
    my vote so would the p90 but alas not piston driven
    The P90 is FA and the PS90 is semi.

Are you guys reloading, for those who are recommending the 50 Beowulf because ammo isn't cheap from AA. I wonder how many folks actually own these calibers who are making these recommendations. Reading about something in a magazine or hearing it from your brother's, girfriends, cousin who read about it in an article last year does not qualify you as an expert.
    Last edited by aubie515; May 31st, 2007 at 01:34 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I own a 50beowulf upper. I buy ammo at Cabellas. No it's not cheap, about $0.85 a round. It's fun to shoot, cool collectors item. I have a few hundred rounds squirreled away for future range trips and a few mags loaded.

I didn't use it to replace my 223 upper, just a fun addition of an upper. If I ever decide to hunt a bear or something I think I'd use it.

I do reload 308 a little, I am setup to reload 45ACP as well but don't really reload much of it. The trade-off of my hourly bill rate, free time and ammo prices just doesn't make it worthwhile. I will be reloading 50BMG once I get going with it.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast