Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Default Re: Best gas piston assault rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Do you really believe that cleaning a rifle until it is spotless is actually necessary? Because if so I really don't have time for a childish pissing match.
    Then don't clean it. If you like a filthy weapon, or one that is "just filthy enough", I certainly don't want to be the one to stand in your way. Bill T.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 68FBJJZ109 View Post
    Originally Posted by ragtime8922
    I'm curious what the opinions are here on the PFOA forum. What is your preference and why?
    XCR - Reputation of this flavor of Robinson is still being built. I might suggest waiting until some of the locals here put it through its paces and/or we get some info about contractors using it over in the sandbox. Probably fine, but it helps to have some data before you make a decision.

AK - Reliable as stone. Filth tolerant, unlike some other assault weapons we could mention. Somewhat nose-heavy; is better in full-auto. Also primitive, ergonomically inefficient and the iron sights are for shit. Upgrades are a given - unless you like historical curiosities or you prefer your Kalashnikovs as the man designed them.

FAL - Good knockdown power, proven in battlefield conditions (except in Israel, who got fed up with it during the six-day war). Heavy. High recoil relative to 5.56 and even 7.62 x 39.

SIG556 - High priced (it's a Sig). Lightweight. Decent reliability for most. Some issues with premature wear on certain guns within a certain production sequence. The 5.56 round is best when expanding types are used.

AR-piston - POF and LWRC are the ones to get here. Neither organization builds bad rifles. POF builds in .308 as well, with LWRC's offerings also available in 6.8 SPC, should you happen to need more caliber than 5.56. Both have the usual plethora of AR benefits (ergonomics, light weight, modularity, good iron sights, rails all over the place) with none of the drawbacks. If I had two thousand dollars I'd get one. If I had four thousand dollars I'd get one of each.

Kel-Tec - Popular in California, and amongst backpackers (due to its foldability). Not tremendously expensive - prices fall in the usual AK range. Supposedly these will take STANAG magazines. They're light weight, easy to handle, easy to fire and maintain. They also have a cheap, plastic feel to them. Worth getting at least one just to piss off your local AR snob.

SCAR - I'd pull the trigger on something else, right now. No pun intended.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by kunsunoke View Post
    XCR - Reputation of this flavor of Robinson is still being built. I might suggest waiting until some of the locals here put it through its paces and/or we get some info about contractors using it over in the sandbox. Probably fine, but it helps to have some data before you make a decision.

AK - Reliable as stone. Filth tolerant, unlike some other assault weapons we could mention. Somewhat nose-heavy; is better in full-auto. Also primitive, ergonomically inefficient and the iron sights are for shit. Upgrades are a given - unless you like historical curiosities or you prefer your Kalashnikovs as the man designed them.

FAL - Good knockdown power, proven in battlefield conditions (except in Israel, who got fed up with it during the six-day war). Heavy. High recoil relative to 5.56 and even 7.62 x 39.

SIG556 - High priced (it's a Sig). Lightweight. Decent reliability for most. Some issues with premature wear on certain guns within a certain production sequence. The 5.56 round is best when expanding types are used.

AR-piston - POF and LWRC are the ones to get here. Neither organization builds bad rifles. POF builds in .308 as well, with LWRC's offerings also available in 6.8 SPC, should you happen to need more caliber than 5.56. Both have the usual plethora of AR benefits (ergonomics, light weight, modularity, good iron sights, rails all over the place) with none of the drawbacks. If I had two thousand dollars I'd get one. If I had four thousand dollars I'd get one of each.

Kel-Tec - Popular in California, and amongst backpackers (due to its foldability). Not tremendously expensive - prices fall in the usual AK range. Supposedly these will take STANAG magazines. They're light weight, easy to handle, easy to fire and maintain. They also have a cheap, plastic feel to them. Worth getting at least one just to piss off your local AR snob.

SCAR - I'd pull the trigger on something else, right now. No pun intended.
    your forgetting the M1a if your gonna talk about the FAL.

i do own a POF and that is the nicest AR i have owned/shot. the only cleaning i do with the bolt/carrier is wipe off the primer sealant. other than that, that is all that is on the bolt/carrier, no powder residue or other fouling.

the piston itself is easy to clean when it needs it. push one pin, do a half turn on the piston and the whole assembly slides right out. wipe off and reassemble. thats it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    I do own a POF and that is the nicest AR i have owned/shot. the only cleaning i do with the bolt/carrier is wipe off the primer sealant. other than that, that is all that is on the bolt/carrier, no powder residue or other fouling.

the piston itself is easy to clean when it needs it. push one pin, do a half turn on the piston and the whole assembly slides right out. wipe off and reassemble. thats it.
    My LWRC's are pretty much the same. It's amazing how clean the bolt and carrier are after a long range session. I lightly wipe with an oily rag and the whole assembly is as clean as when I took it out of the safe. Beats the hell out of scraping carbon. Bill T.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    My LWRC's are pretty much the same. It's amazing how clean the bolt and carrier are after a long range session. I lightly wipe with an oily rag and the whole assembly is as clean as when I took it out of the safe. Beats the hell out of scraping carbon. Bill T.
    Same here and I shoot both of mine supressed!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    The problem as I see it with the FAL is it's huge and not such a good choice if one must clear rooms. Not to mention that you won't have any hearing firing a .308 indoors.

The XCR seems to be a nice choice if one wanted to buy a complete package.

I was in Seneca Arms today and someone brought in a Sig 556. I wasn't impressed with it at all. I definately like AR15 platforms over the Sig 556. I also dislike the large price tag on the Sig 556. Considering, you can buy two complete AR15s for the price of the Sig 556.

Those Ares kits seem to be the ticket for those that already have AR15s and they don't want to spend the $1k on a piston upper. I've seen mostly good reviews on them, but some have had their problems. I'll wait til all the bugs are worked out before I consder an Ares kit. I also dislike the plastic hanguards, so when the FF forends are available...I will probably buy one.

I would go 6.5 Grendel over the 6.8 SPC because the SPC does not offer a wide variety of bullet weights. The Grendel offers better bullet selections even though AA is a pain to deal with. I'd get a 6.5 Sabre Defence upper because SD is the cat's meow.

Holleta...I just noticed that your age now says 40...dude you are about to take the dirt nap soon. LOL
    I'd clear rooms with a shorty FAL. It is heavy and loud but there is a trade off for that. 7.62x51 at across the room ranges would hit like a speeding freight train. The FAL has the ability to be built up to suit your needs. Full on battle rifle, check. 18" barrel, shorty stock, aimpoint/eotech equipped carbine, check. 11" barrel and folding stock PDW, check. (I have however, READ that barrels shorter than 18" start to compromise reliability. I don't have any first hand experience with one to know.) AK platforms have this versatility as well and do work in very short lengths. There are parts/mags/ammo for both to be found across the globe.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtime8922 View Post
    I'm curious what the opinions are here on the PFOA forum. XCR, AK, FAL, SIG556, AR-piston, Kel-Tec, wait for the SCAR. What is your preference and why?

Also, what caliber would you prefer? I love what I've read about the 6.5 Grendel but I don't want to deal with a DI AR-15 and no other formats are offering 6.5 Grendel at the moment...that I know of.

(This thread is not intended to cause an argument that DI is good or bad so lets just make it a non-issue. DI AR-15's do not exist on this thread.)
    http://www.pof-usa.com/p415/p415.htm

Hand's down NO CORNER'S CUT EVERYTHING IS THE BEST OF THE BEST!
    Last edited by Ronnies111; April 14th, 2010 at 09:08 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910