Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Lack of External Safety OK for Newbie?

I have read many suggestions on newbies staying away from "safety-less" pistols. For this reason I'll pass on the Glocks but the Sig 229 doesn't have external safety either. Should I pass on the Sig also? It is DA/SA with hammer, so I guess it is 'safer' than Glock?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Lack of External Safety OK for Newbie?

Not for you, if you have to ask then its not for you.
    I would not recommend it for a newbie.
    Having said that, a Glock and a Sig da/sa operates differently, Once a Glock is loaded there is no way to make safe unless you fire it or REMOVE THE MAGAZINE then eject the loaded round. Unlike a SIG ,just point the gun in a sfe direction and use the decocker to drop the hammer, with the Glock you dont know the condition by just looking at it, if a SIG is cocked you know.

However i would not recommend both guns for a newbie.
    I wopuldnt recommend a 1911 for a newbie either.

Owning a gun is a big responsibility, if youre not competent with it it doesnt make sense.

Start with a Revolver, but if you must have a semi-auto Get a Berreta 92, Ruger P series, CZ or Taurus, they all make Guns that have an external safetythat has to be manually deactivated to be fired.

Nyman

(Monroe County)

I started with a springfield armory xd9 service. There's no external safetys and I practice safe gun handling. I have had no negligent discharges to date and as long as I maintain proper handling, won't have any in the future.

Plenty of people start out on glocks, you'll be fine.

Get trained by a certified instructor, spend time at the range, and at home, getting familiar with your gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

.....no negligent discharge so far, great, but youre only 23 yrs old.
    i'tll come , but lets hope your training pays off has did mine.

I'm 50 , have had 3 nd,s , one with my Glock 26, one with my 2009, and one with my Colt 1911.

Still would not recommend a Glock to newbie who has not developed the fine motor skills of being around a glock.

Nyman

(Carbon County)

Good info here, As i was looking at a glock for a carry peice!
    Shall not be Questioned

(York County)

Reguardless of what you decide to get one thing to ALWAYS REMEMBER.......DON"T TOUCH the trigger till you are ready to fire it or unless you know absolutely it is unloaded then check to make sure and keep it pointed in a safe direction ALWAYS.

ETA... If you use common sence and always consider what's in your hand you should be fine.

Sid
    Last edited by sid; July 8th, 2009 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Once a Glock is loaded there is no way to make safe unless you fire it or REMOVE THE MAGAZINE then eject the loaded round.
    I can't believe I'm hearing this nonsense on a gun forum. Guns don't go off by themselves. "Safe" or "not safe" is a function of the human part of the equation, not the hardware part. If you're going to rely on the hardware as an arbiter of safety, you're setting yourself up for an ND. The only safety you can rely on is the one between your ears. If that safety is faulty, you're better off not owning a gun.

(Northumberland County)

All of my officers are issued Glock 23s.
    Most of them (including myself) never handled a handgun prior to being issued and trained to use the G23. (I am a farm-boy, .22LR and a shotgun for crows are the only two things I ever shot up until I was 21 years old)
    21 Glocks issued since the mid 90's, not one ND, AD or any other kind of unintentional "D."

If trained properly, "newbies" should be fine with Glocks.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Not for you, if you have to ask then its not for you.
    I would not recommend it for a newbie.
    Having said that, a Glock and a Sig da/sa operates differently, Once a Glock is loaded there is no way to make safe unless you fire it or REMOVE THE MAGAZINE then eject the loaded round. Unlike a SIG ,just point the gun in a sfe direction and use the decocker to drop the hammer, with the Glock you dont know the condition by just looking at it, if a SIG is cocked you know.

However i would not recommend both guns for a newbie.
    I wopuldnt recommend a 1911 for a newbie either.

Owning a gun is a big responsibility, if youre not competent with it it doesnt make sense.

Start with a Revolver, but if you must have a semi-auto Get a Berreta 92, Ruger P series, CZ or Taurus, they all make Guns that have an external safetythat has to be manually deactivated to be fired.

Nyman
    I couldn't disagree more with everything except: 'Owning a gun is a big responsibility, if youre not competent with it it doesnt make sense.'

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    I can't believe I'm hearing this nonsense on a gun forum. Guns don't go off by themselves. "Safe" or "not safe" is a function of the human part of the equation, not the hardware part. If you're going to rely on the hardware as an arbiter of safety, you're setting yourself up for an ND. The only safety you can rely on is the one between your ears. If that safety is faulty, you're better off not owning a gun.
    The best advice you have here. External safeties serve their purpose in many ways. For example, many police officers have been saved because they were disarmed, but the perp didn't know how to deactivate his/her gun's safety and couldn't shoot.

You are the safety. The gun is only as safe as you make it. If you are diligent in following the rules of gun safety, you will not have an issue with any firearm without an external safety. I would recommend boatloads of practice (but the right kinds of practice) and training.

FNG19. Great point. Without common sense any tool could hurt someone.
    +REP

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast