Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Regent 1911 (Turkish made)

Hey all, just purchased a Regent 1911-A1 .45 manufactured in Turkey. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet but was wondering if anyone else around here has one with some trigger time. I was a little apprehensive about buying a Turkish-made firearm (i like to buy American) but the gentleman behind the counter assured me that Regent was a good quality make and Turks have been making quality arms for some time. It wasn't cheap but it also wasn't the jewel of the store. Anyone out there with any input on the subject?

Default Re: Regent 1911 (Turkish made)

I'm looking at purchasing one also. The workmanship looks very good and the fit between the frame and the slide quite acceptable. Let me know if in the meantime you have fired it. The price here is $499.
    Thanks.

I did some further checking and found that it is a Norinco made in Turkey. Gunbroker.com has lots of info. Also the Turkish Co had one of its guns blow up some years back and were ordered to pay $16 m in damages, fines and for ignoring US courts. To date they have not paid anything to the American family. I have decided not to purchase this Turkish pistol and buy AMERICAN. Cheap can be expensive. I'd return yours if possible. I'd also verify if the US importer has US product liability insurance.

Thumbs down Re: Regent 1911 (Turkish made)

I did have a chance to range test that Turkish 1911 and i was most displeased. I fired two magazines, 14 rounds, and it jammed a total of 5 times. All FTE's. I was told this is "perfectly normal" and "acceptable" with 1911's for the first few hundred rounds. Well not to me. No one would accept a car breaking down every 10 miles for the first 500, would they? One wouldn't accept their toaster or TV shorting out for the first few hundred hours. Well to me a firearm is no different, especially when said implement would be used for self & home defense. I'm not taking any chances with my family's safety. I traded that Turkish 1911 in towards a Glock 19 for concealed carry. Hope this helps someone.

I bought a regent 1911 A1 45 this last year and have put about 200 rounds threw it and not had a problem everyone I have talked to has had the same luck. Maybe I got a newer model sorry you didn't have the same luck.
    Last edited by triggerjockey; January 11th, 2012 at 03:56 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Jump View Post
    I did some further checking and found that it is a Norinco made in Turkey. Gunbroker.com has lots of info. Also the Turkish Co had one of its guns blow up some years back and were ordered to pay $16 m in damages, fines and for ignoring US courts. To date they have not paid anything to the American family. I have decided not to purchase this Turkish pistol and buy AMERICAN. Cheap can be expensive. I'd return yours if possible. I'd also verify if the US importer has US product liability insurance.
    Wait a minute, 16 million dollars for a blown up Gun? Glock .40's and .45's blow up all the time, i wonder how Glock handles it? Wow!

Norinco made in Turkey???

(Armstrong County)

Not that he is the do all end all, but Pete Kokalis did a very favorable write up on this piece in Shotgun News last year. You should be able to find it in the archves on line at Shotgun News. He does a fairly extensive range test and goes into specifics. I view that type of info to be a little bit more conclusive than "I heard" or "Somebody said" assertions......

(Allegheny County)

Norinco from Turkey?

Turkey does have a history of making some nice guns.

5 jams in 14 rounds? What is a jam? FTF? FTE? Wouldn't go into battery?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JCassidy View Post
    I did have a chance to range test that Turkish 1911 and i was most displeased. I fired two magazines, 14 rounds, and it jammed a total of 5 times. All FTE's. I was told this is "perfectly normal" and "acceptable" with 1911's for the first few hundred rounds. Well not to me. No one would accept a car breaking down every 10 miles for the first 500, would they? One wouldn't accept their toaster or TV shorting out for the first few hundred hours. Well to me a firearm is no different, especially when said implement would be used for self & home defense. I'm not taking any chances with my family's safety. I traded that Turkish 1911 in towards a Glock 19 for concealed carry. Hope this helps someone.
    if you do a little research you will find that many gun require a 200+ rounds fired break in period. my kahr p45 requires a 200 rd break in period but my gun has run 100% from the first round. many highend 1911's and long distance rifles require specific procedures for cleaning and number of rounds fired to be properly broken in and run reliably. comparing the break-in periiod for firearms to cars is like comparing apples and oranges. if your gun requires a break in period follow the instructions in your owners manual and you'll probably have a firearm that will provide you many years of reliable service.

M1911.ORG reviewed the Regent 100 not long ago.

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=110

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast